Bike feels slimy loose after freeway - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Bike feels slimy loose after freeway

Hey Guys,

So I took her on a nice hard freeway run the other morning, handled fine, then got off freeway, about 5 miles the rear wheel felt like it wanted to slide out, then the front ,

now the bike feels slimy/loose while riding, before it felt like it was on a track, now it feels like it wants to wander the lane,

I took a turn at 30 yesterday, so it still sticks, just feels very loose, weird, not sure if its just my feeling, or if something could have loosened,

I am going to check the chain tonight, checked the tires nothing on them, will be checking pressure ASAP,

any ideas?

could I have done something on the freeway??, hit a few pot holes, pushed her hard, could a loose chain do this?

thanks for the help

oh yeah and there seems to be a little hesitation while accelerating, hmmmmmm, thinking rear tire pressure maybe low, darn I wish I had a gauge one me

Last edited by SuuScbr; 08-23-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Demented

Low tire pressure I'm guessing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Low tire pressure I'm guessing.

Hey Demented, yeah that is what I am thinking hoping, weird thing is, I just put air in on saturday, it needed a little, perhaps the warming did something,

thanks for the help, I will be checking that at lunch,

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel weights?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Demented

Out of balance tires would cause vibrations, not a loose feeling.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I almost positive it is my tire pressure, I went for

36F 42R, but its just me, and I only weigh 180 after my krispy kreme visit,

I think I will drop back to 34F/36R,

any suggestions on tire pressure,

175 5'9" thanks!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

it was the tire pressure,

I am running 32F, 34 rear, but will be going to 32/32, since the rear still fills a little high and slimy,

thanks!!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
doesnt the "slimey" feel come when pressure it to low? cause its rolling around on the carcas? meh what ever.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
doesnt the "slimey" feel come when pressure it to low? cause its rolling around on the carcas? meh what ever.
Usually from too high of pressures. Prevent the tire carcass from heating up and the tire doesn't stick. Too low of pressures will cause the same thing, but only when being ridden to the point of the tire melting.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Usually from too high of pressures. Prevent the tire carcass from heating up and the tire doesn't stick. Too low of pressures will cause the same thing, but only when being ridden to the point of the tire melting.
apparently then i have no feel for the back tire, i run max rated pressures on the streets (im not going to kill my tire life for extra stickyness) and i never feel it loose, except for when im playing and have the back end skipping all over the place from downshifting ;)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Demented

Quote:
apparently then i have no feel for the back tire, i run max rated pressures on the streets (im not going to kill my tire life for extra stickyness) and i never feel it loose, except for when im playing and have the back end skipping all over the place from downshifting ;)
I'm willing to bet you're not trying to corner like you're on a race track. On the street, the only thing I can feel from the tires is when I'm going over sand or water.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I'm willing to bet you're not trying to corner like you're on a race track. On the street, the only thing I can feel from the tires is when I'm going over sand or water.
wait, now your confusing me, your first post also said low presure, now your saying high?

<.<
>.>
wtf? :)

but yes, your right, im not.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

well the change from running a bit low, around 32F/32R to 36f/42R was dramatic, it felt like I was riding on two balloons, the back would kind of wander, the front wouldnt dip into the turn, before it was like I was diving into the turn about to faceplant, with 36/42, it was like I was homer simpson riding to donuts,

I dont weight very much so I think that made the difference, if you weigh a good bit, the rec pressures might be okay,

I run a pirelli diablo in the rear and dunlop sportsman in the front,

acceleration was lacking as well, once I would twist on the throttle the back end would lift and I would lost tracking accelerating, that was a major difference,

now with 32/34 I am still losing a bit of traction on the accel, but corning is better, now to lower it a little and I should be back, I might take the front down to 30, not sure,

still weighing tire life, and what the pot holes will do to that pressure, I might stay at 32/32,

thanks for the info it helped,

I like to corner tight, and mainly hit the small foothills in san jose,

anyone 5'9" 175ish,

do this and it will show you the change, if you run factory recommended pressures, drop them to 34/34 or 33/33 and see how it feels then,

then take them back up, and you will notice it,

good riding, and may they see us and pay attention!!!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
wait, now your confusing me, your first post also said low presure, now your saying high?

<.<
>.>
wtf? :)

but yes, your right, im not.

Hey tenjin,

It can happen if the pressure is low or high,

high the bike felt tall, and floaty, almost like it was riding on foam,

demented more of suggested it was the tire pressure, and not knowing I just checked it, you could assume it was low due to leakage,

since i had recently checked it and put air in to Honda specs, he showed me the light, hahaha, the honda specs are for 2 up, and its just lil ol me :)

good riding!!!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuuScbr View Post
Hey tenjin,

It can happen if the pressure is low or high,

high the bike felt tall, and floaty, almost like it was riding on foam,

demented more of suggested it was the tire pressure, and not knowing I just checked it, you could assume it was low due to leakage,

since i had recently checked it and put air in to Honda specs, he showed me the light, hahaha, the honda specs are for 2 up, and its just lil ol me :)

good riding!!!!
first postl, i swear he said "low tire pressure"

but what ever, lol, you got it sorted hahah,

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Demented

Quote:
well the change from running a bit low, around 32F/32R to 36f/42R was dramatic, it felt like I was riding on two balloons, the back would kind of wander, the front wouldnt dip into the turn, before it was like I was diving into the turn about to faceplant, with 36/42, it was like I was homer simpson riding to donuts,
This is more of a suspension problem and not a tire one. Have you ever set your suspension sag or adjusted the compression and rebound damping?

I dont weight very much so I think that made the difference, if you weigh a good bit, the rec pressures might be okay,
Pressures are pressures. Rider weight doesn't have any real effect on how you should set your pressures.

This could be another problem. You've got two different compound tires that act in two different ways, and operate at different temps.

acceleration was lacking as well, once I would twist on the throttle the back end would lift and I would lost tracking accelerating, that was a major difference,
The rear tire would just spin up?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Moto GP Racer

annnnnnnnnnny ways, time to gear up, need nicoteen before work, sigh BRB!

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Demented

Quote:
first postl, i swear he said "low tire pressure"

but what ever, lol, you got it sorted hahah,
That was before we got more background. Hitting potholes can let out tire if it's hit hard enough, and going from good tire pressures to underinflated ones would cause a similar feeling.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

This is more of a suspension problem and not a tire one. Have you ever set your suspension sag or adjusted the compression and rebound damping?

Never set this on the bike, before I screwed with the pressure and hit the freeway, it road like a dream, never a moment did I feel loss of traction, or even that a tire felt loose or wandering, it was like I was on a track, then I adjusted the pressure went on a good freeway ride, got off the freeway, a few turns and the back end felt like it was pulling alongside me, then never felt the same, until I decreased the pressure, this morning,

Pressures are pressures. Rider weight doesn't have any real effect on how you should set your pressures.

I hear ya on this now, I read many places that they wanted to know your weight, and if you were a big boy, around 250, then that should be taken into consideration when inflating them, but I hear ya, its more about your riding and set up, and tires

This could be another problem. You've got two different compound tires that act in two different ways, and operate at different temps.

Yes I can see this as a problem, but the front is still good and the pirelli is new, and came with the bike, so I cant see pulling the front and replacing it while I still have life in it, a lot of life, and before this weekend it felt dreamy, haha, almost to good cause it was making me feel more confident that I should hahaha,

It wouldnt spin, but it would not grab the road and go, very strange ( more acceleration now with lower pressure) it felt as though all the power the bike was spitting out was being loss by the rear, then when I would even it out, it was like I was on two balloons,

now with the pressure at 32F/34R I can feel the front grab like it used to, but the rear still feels a little tall/foamy/wandery, to the point where I want to push down on it so it will grip, (make any sense?)

So now self doubt climbs in, is it just me? Is it cause I took it on the freeway for a hard run, and did something? could it be my chain? lube slack?

it is almost back to the feel of before so I am leaning towards to much tire pressure, tomorrow I will know it 32/32 feels better,

here is some background, bought the bike in july, road it most of the month, just street no freeway, it was set up by a guy who just runs track for the initial test drive, then I brought it home, this month I have been riding more so I decided to do my full checks, saw the tire pressure was low, around 29ish in the front and around 32 in the rear, (around) so I pulled my manual and follow it, went on the freeway the next morning, it ran great, a little high now that I think of it, got off in milpitas, hit the foothills, then I made a u-turn started heading home and the bike felt wandery,

pulled over thinking I grabbed some oil or a rock or squrriel, nope, nothing so I just rode home, feeling horrible the whole way, making me not want to accelerate or even corner,

decided to take a corner fast around 30, it stuck but felt loose, road to work the next day, same roads I always take and they all felt slimy, like any moment the bike would just come out from under me, never even had the notion before,

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:

Never set this on the bike, before I screwed with the pressure and hit the freeway, it road like a dream, never a moment did I feel loss of traction, or even that a tire felt loose or wandering, it was like I was on a track, then I adjusted the pressure went on a good freeway ride, got off the freeway, a few turns and the back end felt like it was pulling alongside me, then never felt the same, until I decreased the pressure, this morning,

I hear ya on this now, I read many places that they wanted to know your weight, and if you were a big boy, around 250, then that should be taken into consideration when inflating them, but I hear ya, its more about your riding and set up, and tires

Yes I can see this as a problem, but the front is still good and the pirelli is new, and came with the bike, so I cant see pulling the front and replacing it while I still have life in it, a lot of life, and before this weekend it felt dreamy, haha, almost to good cause it was making me feel more confident that I should hahaha,

It wouldnt spin, but it would not grab the road and go, very strange ( more acceleration now with lower pressure) it felt as though all the power the bike was spitting out was being loss by the rear, then when I would even it out, it was like I was on two balloons,

now with the pressure at 32F/34R I can feel the front grab like it used to, but the rear still feels a little tall/foamy/wandery, to the point where I want to push down on it so it will grip, (make any sense?)

So now self doubt climbs in, is it just me? Is it cause I took it on the freeway for a hard run, and did something? could it be my chain? lube slack?

it is almost back to the feel of before so I am leaning towards to much tire pressure, tomorrow I will know it 32/32 feels better,

here is some background, bought the bike in july, road it most of the month, just street no freeway, it was set up by a guy who just runs track for the initial test drive, then I brought it home, this month I have been riding more so I decided to do my full checks, saw the tire pressure was low, around 29ish in the front and around 32 in the rear, (around) so I pulled my manual and follow it, went on the freeway the next morning, it ran great, a little high now that I think of it, got off in milpitas, hit the foothills, then I made a u-turn started heading home and the bike felt wandery,

pulled over thinking I grabbed some oil or a rock or squrriel, nope, nothing so I just rode home, feeling horrible the whole way, making me not want to accelerate or even corner,

decided to take a corner fast around 30, it stuck but felt loose, road to work the next day, same roads I always take and they all felt slimy, like any moment the bike would just come out from under me, never even had the notion before,

\holy **** its christmas in august!

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

now if I can only get santa to give me my grip back :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page