My bike will only fire and die. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My bike will only fire and die.

I bought a bike that ran when i got it, but it was vandalized and had the windscreen busted out and the run switch broken. After I took all the plastic off to be painted and replaced my run switch with a new one, the bike wont run. My gauge reads 7 miles an hour and my oil light blinks and my fi lights stays lit. When I turn the key on the fel pump doesnt prime but it work when I hit the starter bc it will fire and stay running as long as I hold the start switch, it revs and acts just like a normal bike but as soon as I let off the start switch it dies. Some things I've already checked are the bank angle sensor, I checked for loose grounds, and I've checked fuses and relays. Does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Demented

Recheck everything you did with the starter switch. To me, it sounds like the key is acting like the starter switch, and the start switch is the ignition.

What year bike?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It's an 03 cbr600RR, the switch I put on had 1 big plug and two smaller ones that plugged into the brake lever, and we've checked those multiple times and it all seems right.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Demented

I'll have to think on this some. That's an odd situation your bike is in.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Demented

Have you checked your idle adjustment and made sure it isn't turned all the way counter-clockwise?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yea, everyone I know thaat knows stuff about bikes can't think of it either, but any help is appreciated.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Demented

Have you gone over the ignition switch with a fine tooth comb and checked that it and all of the wires are intact and were not damaged?

Check your 30A main fuse and try swapping the starter relay with one of the other relays on your bike.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

What are the chances of the brand new switch I bought being falutly, bc when I push the starter switch in about 3/4 of the way in the spedometer fixes itself back to 0, and the fuel pump primes then I press the it the rest of the way and it fires.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Training Wheel Hero

when u checked the bank angle sensor did you just look at it or acually check to see if everything was conecting properly, and is it faced the up the right way? had the same probablem with one of my old 03's and trying to start it without the plastics usually is angle sensor just being tweeked a little and if your main fuse or starter rellay was bad you bike wouldnt even try to turn over or turn ur gauge on
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Demented

I doubt it's the switch. Might also be worth it to check the wiring for the headlights. It sounds like a ground issue. Did your turn signal/horn/high beam cluster get damaged any?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate2o View Post
when u checked the bank angle sensor did you just look at it or acually check to see if everything was conecting properly, and is it faced the up the right way? had the same probablem with one of my old 03's and trying to start it without the plastics usually is angle sensor just being tweeked a little and if your main fuse or starter rellay was bad you bike wouldnt even try to turn over or turn ur gauge on
If the problem was with the BAS, the bike wouldn't even start.

But grounding problems can happen with the main fuse and starter relay.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate2o View Post
Yea, I actually unbolted the sensor and held it up in my hand, and I kept the bike running by holding in the switch, then turned the sensor over to where it would kill it to make sure it was working properly.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I doubt it's the switch. Might also be worth it to check the wiring for the headlights. It sounds like a ground issue. Did your turn signal/horn/high beam cluster get damaged any?
No, none of that was damged.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Demented

Ok, so the fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the ignition on at all, but dos it prime and run when you push the starter switch in?

I have an idea, just want to make sure.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Ok, so the fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the ignition on at all, but dos it prime and run when you push the starter switch in?

I have an idea, just want to make sure.
Yes thats correct, and it will stay running as long as I hold the switch but I don't want to burn my starter up.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wonder if your switch mechanisim is failing, like mine did a few weeks ago :/

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
wonder if your switch mechanisim is failing, like mine did a few weeks ago :/
Well the switch is brand new.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Demented

Try removing your headlight relay, then turning the bike on and starting it. That will hopefully help narrow down to where the problem is.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Try removing your headlight relay, then turning the bike on and starting it. That will hopefully help narrow down to where the problem is.
Nothing changed when I did that.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Demented

Wow, you work fast.

Damn. Now I'm really confused. If this doesn't get it, I'm at a total loss. Keeping the headlight relay unplugged, but also unplug the tail light and rear turn signals. Then go back through the process of starting the bike.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Wow, you work fast.

Damn. Now I'm really confused. If this doesn't get it, I'm at a total loss. Keeping the headlight relay unplugged, but also unplug the tail light and rear turn signals. Then go back through the process of starting the bike.
haha well my computer is right by the bike.
but that's all already unplugged. bc I have the tail section off for painting.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmurphy92 View Post
My gauge reads 7 miles an hour and my oil light blinks and my fi lights stays lit.
there some current bleed if your bike is sitting idle

this could also show how, possibly, be acting on the Fuel pump relays causing them to just remain closed, untill there is enough current drawn off them (making the voltage leak be very low) (and when you have the started pressed in) causing the relay to again act normal?

im simply guessing because it does seem a bit baffeling

but the fact that your speedo is getting a speed reading tells me there is stray voltage in there

in the end, i am suspecting bad wire / short some where based purely off that....

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Demented

Hmmm. I don't have an 03-06 service manual to check the location, but if you know where it is or can find it, check that the ground line for the headlights is undamaged.

The fact that the fuel pump doesn't turn on until the starter switch is pushed in leads me to believe it's a ground problem on the headlight circuit, or maybe a short (though that confuses me too since there should be a blown fuse somewhere). The starter switch cuts the headlight circuit ground, which is the same ground line for the fuel pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
there some current bleed if your bike is sitting idle

this could also show how, possibly, be acting on the Fuel pump relays causing them to just remain closed, untill there is enough current drawn off them (making the voltage leak be very low) (and when you have the started pressed in) causing the relay to again act normal?

im simply guessing because it does seem a bit baffeling

but the fact that your speedo is getting a speed reading tells me there is stray voltage in there

in the end, i am suspecting bad wire / short some where based purely off that....
That's what's confusing me. It's clearly an open circuit fault, yet also clearly a short circuit fault....does not compute. Error...error.

Last edited by Demented; 08-23-2010 at 09:37 PM.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Hmmm. I don't have an 03-06 service manual to check the location, but if you know where it is or can find it, check that the ground line for the headlights is undamaged.

The fact that the fuel pump doesn't turn on until the starter switch is pushed in leads me to believe it's a ground problem on the headlight circuit, or maybe a short (though that confuses me too since there should be a blown fuse somewhere). The starter switch cuts the headlight circuit ground, which is the same ground line for the fuel pump.

That's what's confusing me. It's clearly an open circuit fault, yet also clearly a short circuit fault....does not compute. Error...error.

I just found out that by taking the headlight fuse out, it fixes itself back to normal
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Demented

Hmmm, strange. Is it a 20A fuse? I'm kind of surprised it didn't blow.

Was the headlight relay unplugged when you removed the fuse? Getting closer to the problem.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

Was the headlight relay unplugged when you removed the fuse? Getting closer to the problem.
Well it's a 20a but i jumped the gun a little. When you take the fuse out the speedometer goes back to normal, and the fuel pump primes but the bike still wont stay running unless you hold the switch in.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

and no it wasn't but I'll try that
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Demented

Still helps narrow it down a ton. That puts the problem in one of only two places. The new starter switch being bad, or a problem with the turn signal cluster. Try unplugging the 12p connector for the turn signal/highbeam/horn switch. You'll have to have the bike in neutral since it'll leave the clutch safety switch showing as open.

Edit: Maybe not. If it's the same with the headlight relay out, do the above. If not, will do some more thinking.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Still helps narrow it down a ton. That puts the problem in one of only two places. The new starter switch being bad, or a problem with the turn signal cluster. Try unplugging the 12p connector for the turn signal/highbeam/horn switch. You'll have to have the bike in neutral since it'll leave the clutch safety switch showing as open.

Edit: Maybe not. If it's the same with the headlight relay out, do the above. If not, will do some more thinking.
Ok, that didn't seem to help it, as it will only idle now for ab 3 seconds then die, but thats normal with the headlight fuse out
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Demented

The electronics are still acting normal though, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page