Smoking from front and running hot?!?! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking from front and running hot?!?!

I just finished my custom build and while riding it for the first time on the way to get it dyno'd I noticed the bike was spitting really hot air from the sides of the bike on my leg. I didn't push the bike hard and after the I still felt quit a bit of heat almost burning my leg on the ride home. Then the following day I took it for a spin and pushed it pretty hard on the highway. Being the first time, my shifting was off a little and did redline it like three times going threw all the gears. Then I pulled off the highway and noticed white smoke rolling from the front of the bike. My temp gauge was at 223 and then I killed the bike. The smoke continued for a min then stopped. It was dark out and I couldn't tell were smoke was comming from. So then I hoped back on the bike taking it easy back to the house but no more smoke. Rode today and no smoke but the heat from the sides of the bike is seriously burning my legs! I can't feel any leaks in the exhaust or headers so I don't understand why it feels so hot. So does anyone else feel heat of their bike like this and any ideas as to why my bike was smoking like that after pushing it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Demented

Find out where the leak in your coolant system is and you'll find the source of both the smoke and excess heat.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
it was either a coolant leak, or maybe oil / grease on the headers,

223f isnt that high at all, see link in my sig for details on that

are you riding in shorts? if so, thats why your legs are getting so hot, all the air thats passing through the radiator comes out of the fairings right infront of your legs, and walla theres a bunch of heat (your legs are getting surrounded by 200+ degree air, yea its going to be hot.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I don't see any fluid leaking at all though. Is it possible for it to only leak while I'm pushing it really hard? And I know 223 isn't outside of normal temps thats why I'm boggled... And ya Tenjin you guessed it. I have been in shorts due to 100+ temps here in Texas lately, but I have to say that I rod in shorts all the time when I had my R1 and never felt anything like this. Oh and to add the frame was smokin hot to the touch that night too. That night I literally was running the bike for maybe five mins tops before it smoked on me like that...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Demented

It's possible for it to only leak at higher RPM's since the water pump will be turning faster. The reason why you wont see any leaks, is because the coolant/water mix is turning into steam. Check your coolant level and see if any did leak out. Maybe it was just your overflow reservoir.

But hey, riding in full gear feels much cooler than riding without gear, because you don't have the engine heat to warm you up. Might want to try it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeets View Post
I don't see any fluid leaking at all though. Is it possible for it to only leak while I'm pushing it really hard? And I know 223 isn't outside of normal temps thats why I'm boggled... And ya Tenjin you guessed it. I have been in shorts due to 100+ temps here in Texas lately, but I have to say that I rod in shorts all the time when I had my R1 and never felt anything like this. Oh and to add the frame was smokin hot to the touch that night too. That night I literally was running the bike for maybe five mins tops before it smoked on me like that...

i havnt made it a habbit to grab my frame

but im positive the massive heating effect your fealing on your legs is due to the shorts

(not sure how you didnt burn your self on the r1, i learned on an 01 r1, is how i learned to not ride in shorts, when i went to work and my legs looked like lobsters

double check your coolant level, both in resiviour, and pop the cap on the radiator, if your not losing any thing there... possible oil?

but id bet 20 bucks says its just dirt, grime, and grease on your headers burning off.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Also I did the thermal wrap on my entire exhaust system and finished it with the silicone spray! So if any thing o thought it should run cooler.

Your both right, I know I need to stop playing with fate and start gearing up for my rides... It's just hard when it's so hot. So hot you break a sweat walking to your car, but no excuses, lol...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Demented

Um, there is your smoking problem. Wrap will smoke for a while, and silicon spray doesn't help much.

I've got no a/c in my car, no a/c in my house, it's now 89* inside my house, 94* in my room due to my stupid computer loaded with fans, and I don't complain. Here's me out for a ride a week or two ago in full gear, at over 105* outside. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...h12m41s175.jpg
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Nice pic lol! Point taken, no more BS'n on the gear....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Nice pic lol! Point taken, no more BS'n on the gear....
your skin will thank you for it.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Also I did the thermal wrap on my entire exhaust system and finished it with the silicone spray! So if any thing o thought it should run cooler.

Your both right, I know I need to stop playing with fate and start gearing up for my rides... It's just hard when it's so hot. So hot you break a sweat walking to your car, but no excuses, lol...

it was 109 today, i needed to get some smokes before work, 1/2 mile trip to the gas station

boots, jacket, gloves, pants, helmet, and sidearm (yea, i allways throw in the sidearm, its part of my gear damn it)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
it was 109 today, i needed to get some smokes before work, 1/2 mile trip to the gas station

boots, jacket, gloves, pants, helmet, and sidearm (yea, i allways throw in the sidearm, its part of my gear damn it)
Well put my friend!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
...did redline it like three times going threw all the gears... pulled off the highway... I have been in shorts due to 100+ temps...
So let me get this right, you went through all the gears, hit or came close to hitting redline in 6th, on the highway,....... in shorts?!?

Just remember mate, stupid hurts.

Your next thread:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ouch... I know I wasn't thinkin but you guys got my attention. I promise no more shorts on any rides!!! No excuses...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Good to hear mate - have you found your coolant leak?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

No not yet. I've gone on two 5 min rides though and no smoke or over heating? I'm not excited to pull those fairings off again so soon. The after market fairings were a pain getting on! So next week when I get my new HID ballast I plan to check all my radiator connections, install new ballast, mount light switches, and switch to engine ice all at the same time to prevent the head ache of doing the fairing dance, lol.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Moto GP Racer

sometimes when I'm riding my bike there is hot air coming from either side of the bike. normally it's at lower speeds, but when I'm wearing my boots I can't feel anything it's normal for that to happen. by the way, that silicone spray you used..... is most likely the reason you saw smoke, I sometimes accidentally over spray some wd-40 on the headers/radiator and it smokes for a few minutes after the bikes on, but it burns right off, so I doubt you're leaking coolant. you would probably find the source by now if you were. I remember with my first street bike that happened (1983 nighthawk 750) when I was 16 and I'm like "damn it, what the hell is that". you live and learn.

I did just fill up the radiator on the rr and noticed that one of my clamps leading to the left side siphon hose was loose. tightened her up and it's all good.

by the way almost everyone on this forum unless they don't care or are squids etc, will NEVER stop informing other riders to wear there gear. this is a good thing. whatever temp it is wear it! or don't ride. you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by 03cbr-rider; 08-26-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page