Starting problem (It's not the battery) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting problem (It's not the battery)

I searched around a bit but couldn't find any threads that sounded similar to my situation.

I got on the bike this morning and it wouldn't start. All visible electrical systems are fine. All the fuses are still good.

When I went to start the bike, I hit the starter and everything sounded normal but I didn't hold it long enough for the engine to fire. I let off the starter too soon and I knew it wasn't started yet so I hit the button again almost immediately while the engine was probably still in motion. I don't know if that could have somehow made a surge to the system or what, but the second time I hit the button the bike sounded different and it didn't start. It sounded like the kill switch was turned to the off position. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key. All the lights and the dash work just fine. And like I said, the fuses are all good. Oh, and if I spin the engine around a little I can smell fuel. So I'm assuming it's not the injection.

The only thing I can figure is that somehow the bike isn't getting any spark. Any ideas about what I should be looking for?

EDIT: Well, I just took a fairing off and stuck a multi-meter to the plug wire and it appears that there is spark. Soooo.... did I blew up an ECU or rectifier or something? I'm not the smartest when it comes to modern electrical systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Grab a handful of throttle and start it up.. Sounds like the typical leak down. Floods the bike a little and it won't start.. Happens occasionally.. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
You hold the throttle wide open so you wont flood the spark plugs with fuel
once the bike starts hold the throttle steady until the bike picks up an idle
on its own then let go of the throttle and let the bike idle all by itself

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I tried and it didn't do anything. I got it to chug once very slightly like it was starved for fuel and but got one drop to sip on before drying right back up.

Just a GUESS: If my ears are right and it sounds dry, it would point to a bad fuel pump or injectors that aren't work right? Well, it shouldn't be the fuel pump because I can hear it prime as soon as I turn the key on. If it's any other fuel problem I wouldn't know where to begin troubleshooting after I already looked at all the fuses.

I have the charger on it tonight so I'll have a fresh start at it tomorrow. (can it be overcharged on a 2amp trickle? If I forget about it in the morning it will probably be sitting on the charger for 24 hours before I get back to it).

-Oh, T, I got my IT Tail light today. As soon as I can figure out this starting problem I'll get to install it. I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited by Lukavich; 08-23-2010 at 10:45 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 PM

Make sure you are hearing the fuel pump, 07-10 are tricky with that. The run/stop switch losses it's contact sometime and has to be opened up to get a good connection. Also check your kick stand switch and clutch switch to make sure everything is plugged in. Look for the easy fix before plugs,injectors ect.. How many miles on the bike?

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

5500miles on the bike. I swung the kickstand up and down a few times, flicked the kill switch many times, never thought to move the clutch other than shifting it once to make sure it was in neutral. Thanks for the ideas, I'll check it out more tomorrow.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Still sounds like its flooded, just hold the throttle open and give it a go, could take over 30 seconds to start and may only just fire for the first few times.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 AM

+1........................

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukavich View Post
I tried and it didn't do anything. I got it to chug once very slightly like it was starved for fuel and but got one drop to sip on before drying right back up.

Just a GUESS: If my ears are right and it sounds dry, it would point to a bad fuel pump or injectors that aren't work right? Well, it shouldn't be the fuel pump because I can hear it prime as soon as I turn the key on. If it's any other fuel problem I wouldn't know where to begin troubleshooting after I already looked at all the fuses.

I have the charger on it tonight so I'll have a fresh start at it tomorrow. (can it be overcharged on a 2amp trickle? If I forget about it in the morning it will probably be sitting on the charger for 24 hours before I get back to it).

-Oh, T, I got my IT Tail light today. As soon as I can figure out this starting problem I'll get to install it. I'm looking forward to it!
youre getting waaaay too complicated, theres about a 90% chance its just flooded out, and these plugs dont recover well after being flooded.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yup. That's what it was. I burned out my battery last night trying to start it. Charged it over night. Burned the starter again this morning for nearly 30 seconds, but it finally fired.

Wow, never knew this could happen. Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page