Headlight wont turn on...wtf? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight wont turn on...wtf?

04 600RR, around 18,500 miles, slip on exhaust only non-cosmetic mod. I rode my bike up to a friends house in a town about 20 miles up the road because he had another one of my friends staying with him (who lives halfway across the state so I dont get to see him often). Anyway when I got there the headlight worked fine. Shut off the bike, went inside and talked for maybe 2 minutes before we started walking to yet another friends house just a block away. On the way out we stopped at my bike so I could (ill admit) show off a bit. I turned it on and it was still at 186 degrees, so I gave it a few quick revs. Highest rev was 4500, Im not a fan of wrapping it up and then shutting it off. Anyway let it idle a few seconds then shut it off.

So we go over to my friends house, play some Modern Warfare 2, have some pizza, etc etc (no alcohol for me), and then me and my brother walk back to the apartment to head back to town. It was around 11:30 when we were firing up our bikes. I noticed that my light was a bit dim so I hopped off and looked, sure enough only the 3rd eye is on. I tried restarting the bike and still only the 3rd eye. So I just had to use my high beam all the way home.

Ive looked at the wires going to the headlight and everything seems fine. The high beam works like I said, the 3rd eye works, everything works except for my daytime running headlight for some reason. The guy who owned it before me upgraded the bulbs to halogen bulbs (white/blue light, not HID blue though).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to ride at night until its fixed. Using the high beam only could cause problems for other traffic I would imagine. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Demented

You have removed the bulb to inspect that it did not melt or burn out, correct?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
You have removed the bulb to inspect that it did not melt or burn out, correct?
yea what he said my high beams wasnt workin and i inspected the wires and one was loose ...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have in fact not, but I shall...once I figure out how to get it out. I-r-noob when it comes to bikes. Im tryin though! :P
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
its just a small wire latch that snaps into place and holds the bulb. teh bulb has a couple tabs on it that ensure you put it in with proper orientation.
and if i am wrong on that D will correct me

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Demented

Haven't seen a stock headlight in quite some time, so this may not be 100% right.
Unscrew the cap on the back of the headlight. Unplug the bulb (not sure of the clip style. Easy enough to figure out when you look at it). Twist the bulb to line of the prongs with the slots in the casing, and pull it out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah theres a wire latch. I have the bulb out and am looking at it, but im not sure what to look for. It looks perfectly fine inside, nothing is broken off or anything. What exactly am I looking for? I can put up a pic of the bulb if need be.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Demented

A pic would be good, but comparing it to the highbeam bulb would be easier for you. They're the same bulb.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hmmmmm I never thought of comparing the two. <.<

They look the same, only difference is the little spring inside is a little more worn on the running light. Otherwise they are the same.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Demented

Try plugging the good one into the low beam light and see if it turns on.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well good news, I put them in their regular spots (low in low and high in high) and turned it on and it worked fine. I have no idea what was wrong, but whatever it was simply taking out the bulb and inspecting it fixed the problem. Thanks a ton for the help man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page