control panel dead, back light dead but bike runs fine - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation control panel dead, back light dead but bike runs fine

Hello.

2005 CBR 600RR
~12,500 miles now
Got bike back in Nov with 3,900 miles

Original owner replaced the front & rear turn signals and the license plate light with LEDs. Aside from slightly semi-sloppy rewiring, everything seemed to be working fine - until today.

As of this morning my instrument control panel is dead. The tach needle is stuck at 0, gas gauge, engine temp, speedometer, green neutral light and rear light now do not turn on.

The bike still starts normally, rear red light lights up with brakes, the high beam turns on, indicator lights for left/right turn signals still light up, and both front and rear turn signals still work.

SO, I don't know jack sh*t about wiring and electrical stuff (I can put in gas and change the oil, and take it the shop to get a tire replaced). I checked what I could for anything loose and I didn't notice anything loose. However, the wiring for the back lights was a bit jumbled up and wiring job previous owner did starting to melt a little bit (will put up pics ASAP) but nothing is exposed.

What should I check for? Just recently moved to Diamond Bar, CA so if anyone is close by and knows what they are doing and are willing to help let me know. If you recommend that I take it to a shop, please give me a good recommendation and hopefully a shop that is opened on weekends. How much am I looking at to get it re-wired?

Finally, if the bike still starts and runs fine, front light still works along with signals (which i don't use often anyway) - is it still safe for me to ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check your fuses, you said that you get the brake light but do you get the tail light (I think you guys might call it the rear position light) and number plate light? If you don't have them then you almost certainly have a blown fuse and need to look at the wiring very closely to find where it has gone bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page