Recently moved, bike runs funny - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recently moved, bike runs funny

So, I recently moved from Cali to Maryland. It was because of my job, not cause I didn't just love riding all year long. (shut up Dougie Fresh!) Anyway, I finally got to MD and got the bike unloaded from the movers. Took a little bit to start, but she did and I was a happy man. Until, I listened and noticed that the bike didn't like idleing. Instead of a nice crisp exhaust, it is now a deeper growl. The bike sounds decent, but is really slow to respond at lower rpm's. She still handles well and I don't have any problems once I'm at higher rpm'm, but still loud.

I have been told it may be due to the elevation change. But, I have ridden it in the mountains of Cali and never had a problem with it. I've put the highest octane fuel thru for about 3 tanks now and added fuel injector cleaner to each of those tanks. I was hoping that doing that would clear this up, but no luck.

Any suggestions?? I stopped at a Honda shop and they said that they could tear into the bike, but it would cost several hundred dollars. I have the tools, but don't think I have the room for it.

Help!!

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Demented

How's your idle adjustment knob?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

It's not the idle. The whole sound of the bike has changed. It used to be a more high pitched bitch, but now is much lower. The idle actually flucuates a little bit too, where before it was pretty steady.

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Exhaust valve? Mouse nest in the exhaust? Or nest in the airbox?

WERA Expert #816
2007 600RR
http://www.ridepre.com/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

I guess I will have to dig into it and check the air filter and the exhaust. It's ridable, so I'll probably wait until it gets a little cooler here. Then, see what I can find out. I just don't want to take it to a stealership and have them butt rape me on labor when it's probably something I can do myself.

Still looking for other suggestions tho!

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Demented

If it's just a different sound, chances are there's nothing wrong with it. Exhaust notes will sound different in different locations.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

It runs really crappy at low idle and concerns me when pulling into traffic. So, it's not just soundm, I could deal with that and wouldn't be concerned. If I can find what it used to sound like, I'll post it up and then get a new clip of what it runs like now. It's gonna take awhile though and definatly not tonight.

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Demented

You sure your idle adjustment is fine?

With the only thing that changed being fuel and geographic location, it's really only an idle adjustment or fuel issue, unless the movers tampered with your bike in some way to only affect low RPM's.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

I was thinking that it was starved for air. I know it's getting fuel and it's acting quirky even while giving it a little gas. I'll have to mess with the idle to eliminate that from the equation.

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 AM
fast03600rr

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
what mods do you have? if it was tuned to cali's air then it might need tuned again. i know that when ive gone down to deals gap with my bike its always ran a little richer because of the elevation change.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
i moved from las vegas, nv. to charlotte, nc. and absolutley no problems with my bike. its an 06. i have an akra slip on, k&n air filter, pair valve mod and direct ram air mod. runs fine.

if i were you, i would get into the air box and look for a clog, or the exhaust. maybe a mouse did make a nest in there.

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Training Wheel Hero

How long from the time you stopped riding it and had it shipped, to the time you started it up after the move?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

The only mods I have a sprocket and chain conversion. I also have a Jardine RT-1 slip on, no Power Commander or anything. It was less then 2 months from the time I stopped riding it, had it crated and shipped, and started it up again.

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Two months of sitting. Could be a clogged injector even though you ran cleaner through it. Lots of funky stuff can happen when engines are not started for a long time. Check your oil too. Might be worth doing an oil and filter change.

Interesting on the gas choice. I thought all high compression high reving engines were marked 93 octain or above to prevent early dedination and knocking.

2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR
Purchased 10/25/2008, Totaled 10/28/2008 by the dealer
New 2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR....delivered 10/30/2008
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I reckon you may have a clogged injector, you can get them put through ultrasonic for reasonably cheap, and if its not the problem a good cleaning never hurts anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms231 View Post
Interesting on the gas choice. I thought all high compression high reving engines were marked 93 octain or above to prevent early dedination and knocking.
It all depends on the design of the engine to begin with, RRs are designed to run on 87? (I think that's what you guys have, lowest we have is 91) so the choice of a higher octane fuel really makes no difference to performance, however it will go some way to preventing knock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page