Click noise - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Click noise

Ok so like the title says have a clicking noise. I have a 09 600rr with about 3000 miles on it. About 1,000 miles ago I installed a lowering link. I have double checked the mounting bolts for the link. All ok. Just started this past week or so. Basically when I come to a stop or start taking off you can hear a slight clicking also will do it when sitting a stop also but if you shift your weight to the left or right or take wait off seat and back on it will also do it. Best way for me to describe the sound is like when the back of my calves hit my foot pegs and they flex up slightly then snap back into place. Not as loud as that but similar. Seems to be around the swingarm pivot point maybe or front sprocket. Not very constant comes and goes. Any ideas guys. I have plenty of mechanical experience just don't want to take it to the dealer and have them tell me its the aftermarket lower link.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Demented

It could be possible that under a load, something in the rear is rubbing on the shock or the swingarm. Might also be that the lowering link is loose or the bolt holes have elongated and even though everything is tight, can move back and forth.

Hard to tell without a video or picture.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

This is the link I used. 0-4 inch. I only lowered maybe 1 1/2. Just enough that I can stand flat footed. Hopefully I posted correctly. basically either side of lowering link there is a pivot point to allow it to turn flex as needed while the fixing bolts stay in place. Bolts as stated before are tight so I don't think its it but not sure. Sounds like its higher the the link. Plan on changing oil this weekend. I will try to isolate better while fairings are off I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...Q5fAccessories

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Demented

I think it might be the rod end bearings clicking. They're probably worn out, or not rated for the this type of application. They look to have a grease fitting, so it's possible if they're not worn out, there's a lack of lube in the bearings.
Edit: Well, they have a lube port, but no fitting.

Last edited by Demented; 09-02-2010 at 10:41 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
D

you figure that if both pieces are not adjusted to the same length, it would cause the suspension to bind? and thus the popping noise?

and are these not a little wide to replace the dog bones? or am i missing something?

bah...

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
D

you figure that if both pieces are not adjusted to the same length, it would cause the suspension to bind? and thus the popping noise?

and are these not a little wide to replace the dog bones? or am i missing something?

bah...
Not likely. Cars would have the same problem with the tie rod ends on steering racks if that were the case. My money is on the bearings being worn out.

Edit: Looked at the price of the thing. Definitely an issue with the rod ends. I'm planning on making my own just so I have ride height adjustment to get the rear a little bit higher, and two self lubricating high strength rod ends are going to cost me $44.

Last edited by Demented; 09-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

yeah i am willing to bet there isnt enough grease in that thing....

GREENROCKET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page