re ocurring headlight issue 06cbr600rr - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
re ocurring headlight issue 06cbr600rr

So the other day i re soldered the black/red wire in my ignition assy for the fourth time.im pretty confident in my soldering skill, but this one is pissing me off. every time i solder the wire to the terminal in about a day or two it literally falls off.

the circuit is a 20a circuit is there any way that the type of solder im using is too soft?? its a 60/40 rosin core.

either that or im having another issue here, im about to go buy a new lower ign sw assy.

any ideas?
thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Demented

60/40 melts at over 300*F, so it shouldn't be an issue with it being too soft. It might just be that the solder joint is not clean or isn't getting soldered correctly. Have you cleaned off the terminal completely and the wire(s), then retinned them?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeah i did that the first time. maybe i should try to do a better job and have a go again.

what got me thinking about replacing the lower half of the assy is so far every time ive resoldered the wire. i go to put the key in and turn on and i get nothing until i barely touch the ign button. im not sure how the sliding contacts work in that switch but now im wondering if its not making good contact on the backside of my problem terminal... then could that heat up quick enough to break the solder?

seems kind of a stretch but i am doing this in between jobs grr not too much time

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I doubt that it is heating it up enough to remelt your solder joint.

I think your problem may be a dry joint / the joint not wetting properly to begin with.

Soldering is a less is more type of thing for the best part, that goes for the heat and amount of solder you use.

60/40 resin core solder is ok, but eutectic solder is a hell of a lot better, it will eliminate problems caused by having a plastic point like dry joints caused by movement.

To make sure you get a good join, clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, then with your eutectic solder tin both surfaces ie. apply a small amount to make them shiny silver something like this:

Then clean them again with the alcohol so that all of the flux (brown crap, I think you guys call it rosin) has been removed. then hold the two surfaces together, apply the iron and a little more solder, clean the joint again and your done.

It is also worth mentioning that unless your tinning the iron, you should never apply solder to the iron. Apply the iron to the joint and the solder to the joint, let the heat conduct through the joint to melt the solder, when you apply the solder directly to the iron you burn off most of the flux (which is what is making the join wet properly) and may not get enough heat into the items your soldering for them to join properly with whatever flux is left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page