Anyone got some knowhow on troubleshooting integrated tails? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone got some knowhow on troubleshooting integrated tails?

Background: Previous to this my turn signals stopped working as well. I found the problem to be a resistor of some type (two total) in the rear tail with wires leading to the actual LED. I was able to touch-connect the wire and have my turn signals back. I never got around to re soldering that connection though.

Last week the brake light stopped working all together. I chalked it up to the fact that I had just installed a new rearset and perhaps the brake switch adjuster was too tight or something. I checked that out and tried changing it. Lowering it up and down the whole slide. Nothing changed on my brake light. I took my tail off and I found the other resistor thing to also be disconnected now. This time the connection has snapped at the very base of the housing, my attempts at just trying to touch-connect the wire have failed to illuminate the brake light. The other test I did again was the touch-connect on the turn signal. I'm able to only get my right turn to light up when connected, no left turn, and no brake light.

Does anyone have any experience in installing these? This was installed with my bike when I got it so I'm not quite sure how its wired, and the factory service manual doesn't apply 100% in this situation. I did check the fuses and such though and they're all okay. I couldn't dig up much more troubleshooting then that though according to the FSM. I'll try to get pictures up soon of the wiring so perhaps someone can give me better ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Yes I can possibly help you. What year and what model tail light. Give me that bit of info and I'll should be able to help you out from there. And also if you could post a few pics of the wires that would help as well. I'll check back later to see if you have post any of this.

Oh if your tail light wasnt working you should check for a possible blown fuse and or wire disconnect.

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8_Lurkin View Post
Yes I can possibly help you. What year and what model tail light. Give me that bit of info and I'll should be able to help you out from there. And also if you could post a few pics of the wires that would help as well. I'll check back later to see if you have post any of this.

Oh if your tail light wasnt working you should check for a possible blown fuse and or wire disconnect.
Its a 2003 600RR.

The tail light is a Clear Alternative according to the lense cover, although it does not look like the ones on the Clear Alternative website do. It doesn't plug into any OEM bulb spots and has nothing to do with the stock reflector. Its a sealed single housing with 5 wires coming out.
Ive checked the fuses. I've done about all the checking I can as far as OEM equipment is concerned. I haven't investigated all the grounds yet, but I dont feel its a ground issue seeing as my turn signals are working.

Here is a couple of pictures if the two areas the connections go:

and a video:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I'm sure you already checked this but does your brake light up at all? Did you also try switching the running light and brake light wires? Maybe you could have reversed those two? The OEM running/brake light works as well if you reconnect that?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
I'm sure you already checked this but does your brake light up at all? Did you also try switching the running light and brake light wires? Maybe you could have reversed those two? The OEM running/brake light works as well if you reconnect that?
I havent changed any wires. Thats what I dont understand. The wire configuration is the exact same as it was when it worked perfect.

I was able to do another test though with my spare tail with OEM light. When I plug it into the adapter it lights up at its brightest. I'm assuming its the brightest because of the way the wires are currently, but at least that verifies the grounds work again and it also verifies all the wires from the harness/connectors up to the fusebox are good.

I'm thinking just maybe my integrated light burnt out or a connection on the board came lose or something. It just doesnt make much other sense to me then that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
I havent changed any wires. Thats what I dont understand. The wire configuration is the exact same as it was when it worked perfect.

I was able to do another test though with my spare tail with OEM light. When I plug it into the adapter it lights up at its brightest. I'm assuming its the brightest because of the way the wires are currently, but at least that verifies the grounds work again and it also verifies all the wires from the harness/connectors up to the fusebox are good.

I'm thinking just maybe my integrated light burnt out or a connection on the board came lose or something. It just doesnt make much other sense to me then that.
If your OEM works fine then it probably is something with the board inside the unit. You can always take a heat gun to it and separate the lenses and see if a wire came loose.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I think I have the same one. The resistors are just across the turn lights to add load and make the stock flasher work (flash). They do not change function of the stop/tail light. If the stock tail light works, and you changed nothing else in the wiring, then the unit is probably bad.

If you ever change to lamp flashers in the front, you can toss these resistors, albeit they will flash faster. (that is what I did).

A mistake sometimes made if a new install is to get the license plate light tied in with the mess, as stated above. Since you didn't change wires, something got loose in the unit or wiring for the assembly-probably.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
What you have is a clear alternatives light.. The wiring is fine if you have not changed anything like sincalirider is probably a loose connection on the inside of the board. the Red wire is your running light so trace that to the back of the board and see if it has come off. Also looks like the green wire would be off as well unless your brakes work.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I spliced the red wire and the black wire and attached them to a 9v battery. Should this light up my brake light(or at least running light)?

If so, as far as my test went; it did not. So it must be with my Clear Alternative :(
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
9v may depends on the resistance used for the led's but you should get some light output. I have seen wires pulled off the boards on the CA lights so I would bet this is the problem. Drill 2 holes in the right spots and you can fix it if you can solder.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
With 9V in you will more than likely get some light out, however it may not be visible in daylight or bright conditions. Get a large jacket and throw it over your head so that the IT and you are well shadowed and you will be able to notice the light if there is any to see.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the fuse :)

A SICKNESS FOR QUICKNESS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page