Marker light/front signal woes - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Marker light/front signal woes

First off, I want to say that I did do a search but no one seems to be experiencing the same problem I am, so hopefully this isn't a repost.

The front flushmounts were installed by the PO. I'm not sure but I think they are Greggs Customs. They worked perfectly when I got the bike (as both running lights and turn signals). The trouble started about 2 or 3 days ago, or at least that's when I noticed it. The left flushmount doesn't light up at all under any circumstances. The right one lights up very faintly and flashes when signalling right, but it's barely visible. however, the right one sometimes flashes to full brightness when blinking, but it's sporadic and very shortlived.

I removed the molding on each side to gain access to the connectors and check the wires at the lights. While a crude install (twisted together with electrical tape), they are making good connections. I retwisted and retaped them when I was done. I also removed the left fairing and checked all of the fuses, but this was merely a formality since the right one works faintly. All checked good.

I haven't traced it further because quite frankly I don't know what I'm doing. Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be the relay (between the headlights under the gauge cluster, right?) Anything else I should check?

The bike is an '05 CBR600RR with a little over 26,000 miles.

I did some checking online and Greggs Customs instructions are to not wire these up as running lights. Since the PO DID wire them up this way, could that have permanently damaged the lights themselves?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the long post. Wanted to include as much detail as I could.

Last edited by Russell84; 09-11-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It is unlikely that they would have been damaged by being used as running lights, I would suggest you solder all of the connections cause it sounds like that's where your problem is. Could also be the relay though...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Knee Dragger

If the aftermarket flushmount indicators are demanding more current than what the relay is designed for, then it is possible that the relay could be fautly. Also, if these lights were being used as running lights in conjunction with turn signals, the PO would have had to install a diode on each side to prevent the current from traveling back through the signal circuit and keeping the signal indicator on the gauge cluster lit. I agree with what Nico said about cutting out the "twisted together mess of tape" and stripping back clean wire and soldering or crimping a new junction. As a benchmark test you could cut the leads to your turn signals, take a piece of 16 gauge wire 4'-5' long, and supply 12 volts from your battery directly to the signal to verify where your problem is. Good luck.

9.92 @ 135.00

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks, I'll try that first and see what happens.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

I presume that they were LED flushmounts?

If they have a normal incandescent globe in them it may just be that the globe has gotten a bit old and needs replacing...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah, they're LED. Only 3 of the LEDs on the right signal are lighting up, which is why its so dim. I didn't see any diodes or anything wired in, but my gauge cluster works fine, even with them wired as running lights.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Sounds like they could just be dead then... are you sure that they are not cheap Chinese knock offs?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

They were installed by the PO, and I don't have receipts or anything, so I really don't know what they are. The Greggs Customs are the only ones I've found that look similar to the ones on the bike. I just wanted to try to figure out if there was another problem before I went and dropped $100 on Protons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page