07 CBR, handlebars touch the intake and fairings(Pics) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 CBR, handlebars touch the intake and fairings(Pics)

Hey all,

I am currently rebuilding my bike after a fall and am having some trouble with the front end. I had taken apart the whole front end to change the Fairing Stay and the Ram Air Intake and have run into some trouble.

After putting back the front end, I noticed that my handlebars touch the intake tube and fairings when its fully turned to either side. My first thought was to check the little stoppers that are on lower triple tree, but both the stoppers are in place and not broken or damaged in any way. However, on the frame of the bike, where the stoppers touch the frame, those areas have been stripped of the paint/colour. I have tried to look at a new frame at the dealership, but it looks like there is nothing missing there, just the paint has come off. Maybe Im wrong and theres supposed to be a little tab there thats broken off, but the area looks too clean for something to be broken off.Furthermore its exactly the same on both sides od the frame.. I am stumped! Can anyone post up pics of this area on their bike, just for comparision..

A mechanic friend says that it might have something to do with the adjustment of the steering? Are there any adjustments to check with the steering or anything else in the front end?

Appreciate the help in advance and thanks to all.

1 - Stoppers on the lower triple tree.

2 - The frame

Last edited by Tonycs; 09-17-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not trying to be smart here but are you sure that the clip ons are installed and adjusted correctly?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Clipons were never removed. Brakes lines, Throttle cable and clutch cable were changed. Levers were powdercoated and reinstalled.

Even if I could adjust the clipons so that it does not touch, the forks will still touch the intake tube at full lock.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Anyone out there?? Any pics??
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
i'll try and get some pics of mine up later..still not sure exactly what i'm lookin at tho
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Demented

Put some stick on wheel weights on your frame to stop how far your front end turns. It looks like you smack into the steering locks quit a bit, which is why your frame is being crushed and distorted there, which is what will cause your front end to turn more than it should.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

UNGLERT10 - The first picture is from the front of the bike, from the front of the forks and you can see the SS brake lines as well.The rest of the pics are from the side, just below where the front intake tube meets the bike frame. The two holes you see above the red circle is where the intake is bolted on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

As always, Demented to the rescue. Thanks for the tip with the wheel weights. If everything else in the front end is proper and does not fix this issue, then I will use some weights to help stop the bars touching.

Now, Im mainly just trying to find out what that area should originally look like. Is there supposed to be a tab or any stopper on the frame itself?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycs View Post
As always, Demented to the rescue. Thanks for the tip with the wheel weights. If everything else in the front end is proper and does not fix this issue, then I will use some weights to help stop the bars touching.

Now, Im mainly just trying to find out what that area should originally look like. Is there supposed to be a tab or any stopper on the frame itself?
No tabs or anything. The frame was just distorted by the steering locks being hit into it with some force repeatedly. Rider error.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Nice to know that I have broken anything off..So your saying that this could happen because I turn the bars too hard? Guess i'll have to be a bit more cautious from now on. Thanks for the help Demented!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Demented

Pretty much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page