bike runs great, but wont start hot... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bike runs great, but wont start hot...

Soooo i grabbed a MOTY battery, however recently the bike will not start hot... i swapped in a 06reg/rec which helped the charging...

however i can let the bike sit for a few days, fires right up, ride it 10-15mintues or so(warms up charges etc...) turn it off... and the starter will barely move, dash lights reset... it'll bump start no problem, ride maybe 5 more mintues, turn it off, let bike cool off... fires up like its brand new!

so im curious if all starter's pull LOTS more current when hot, and my little battery cant keep up(or got damaged by the reg/rec, doubt full cause itll start another bike fine...)

or is it most likely something is wrong with the starter causing this issue? should i risk buying a used starter? ~$70, buy a new one for ~$250 or try pulling the current one apart and cleaning it etc? getting to the dang thin is a pain i nthe ass if i rember correctly....

i think trippage had a simlier issue and found it to be the starter right?

Thanks for any input!

-Levi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think it was bongo who had these problems, i've got them too but haven't gotten round to properly investigating it, basically what turned out to be wrong was the bushes in the starter were worn and (i think) increasing resistance when hot. If thats what YOUR issue is you need to strip the starter and replace with new bushes. HTH

2003 CBR 600rr
05/06 Front End Conversion
Motrax Flushmounts
MOTYDesign.com (Browningbuck) Battery
Yoshimura Rs-5 Slip on
MotoDynamics Integrated Seq Taillight
Vortex Rearsets
520 Conversion
Goodrich Braided Lines front and Rear
+3 rear sprocket
Carbon Lorraine Pads
Clifford Alarm
R&G Sliders
DIY Tail Tidy
Ohlins Steering Damper
RIP Phatty

Scrappy600's Build Thread

http://www.facebook.com/declangrant

"In Italiano for this race - we say Mama Mia!" Valentino Rossi Catalunya 2009
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

check the brushes! will have to pull it and see. so thats about 4 people with starter issues i know of... so maybe that is my issue....

im not looking forward to trying to pull it out... its rather deep in the bike and i just got it back together :\

ohwells, anyone else have more input?

Thanks!

-levi

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cactus R/R or what has already been suggested.

Check the R/R with a multimeter then have a look at the starter motor, R/R is a lot easier to get at...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

already swapped the R/R with an 06 model, and checked that it works,(and it does)

i was hoping that was causing the hot start failures, it wasn't, but it was causing the battery to go pretty much dead! (never did let it die, so it shouldnt have ruined the battery) that and it cranks AWESOME once the bike cools off.

im getting to the point where ishould just pull the starter completely and plug the whole. im getting pretty good with bump starting the bike!

-Levi
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Do you hear the starter solenoid clicking when you try to start, with the bike hot?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i hear a solinode clicking when i hit the starter, im assuming its the oen under seat im hearing. but the gauges dim pretty good when i hit the starter... (the low beam has a start timmer from tripage) so i know something's pulling some current!

should i be hearing a click by the starter? or just under the seat? is it true they sometimes just stick, and need to give the starter a whack/bump to de stick it?

Thanks for all the help man!

-Levi
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Yes your supposed to hear a click under the seat, that's good / bad depending on how you want to look at it. Good cause you know where the problem is and bad cause its potentially a lot more expensive to fix.

I suggest you pull your starter motor out and re-grease its bearings and ensure that there are no obvious places it may be binding. The sticking is probably being caused by the expansion of all the metal components as they heat up.

And yes giving it a tap should free it up and allow the bike to turn over, but you would have to do it every time the bike gets warm and in hot weather that will suck.

I think that you will find that the bearings have no grease in them and that when it heats up they are sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page