mystery brake judder - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mystery brake judder

Hi all , Iv recently been having problems with the front end of my bike. She is a 2007 CBR 600 RR which i have owned from new and just hit 18000 miles on.

My Problem is Front brake judder. It started out With a really violent judder at all speeds and amount of brake which at low speeds would pulsate the brake lever so it was obviously a warped disc.

I Decided to change the hole system and bought armstrong wavey rotors , braided lines and EBC pads, Along with a strip down and clean of the brake calipers, i jumped on the bike for a test ride to find that the judder had reduced a lot but was still there if i lightly held the lever on, If i slamm on hard it brakes smoothly.

I had the head bearing checked and the bottom had gone so i had new steering bearings fitted at the dealers only to find that the judder is still there.I took it back to the dealer and found out that the bearings had seated and needed to be adjusted, so they did, it improved it but it is still there.
The only thing i can think of that i have not replaced is the wheel bearing.

with the wheel of the ground it does not feel loose however there is a slight click in it and if i hold the front brake with the bike on the floor and rock the bike forward and back there is a clunking that feels like the wheel bearing is loose.

Could it be the wheel bearing clunking even thou when lifted i cant make it clunk with my hands?
Is there anything else that im missing that could make the front end judder when lightly pressing the lever

LEAVE LATER RIDE FASTER

CBR 600 RR-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A very slight pulsating is fairly well run of the mill for these bikes so I wouldn't go worrying about it to much. See the dealer and ask them if they think it is normal or not...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ok cheers... Its going in for new wheel bearings today so ill see how that affects it.. Im more worried about it knocking when i rock it back and forth. If the new wheel bearings do not fix it then im starting to suspect the forks.

With the wheel and forks of the ground , i can shake the wheel and forks and feel knocking..Cant feel if its the wheel bearing or forks thou

LEAVE LATER RIDE FASTER

CBR 600 RR-7

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Is the movement in the stem or the wheel? 18000 miles is not that many, I have just under 30000 on mine with the original bearings... It would also take a hell of a lot to make the forks loose like that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just got back from the dealers, They installed new wheel bearings and tested the bike on a brake checker and said it was fine.
The mechanic said from his experience it is just the wavy rotors causing the rough feeling when lightly touched as when you slam on hard the breaking is smooth which makes sense as the rotors have lots of large holes in them.. ill post a picture in a sec..

So i rode it back to work and it has improved so it must have been the bearings, however if i turn the front full lock and grab the front wheel with two hands and give it a jolt i can fell something shake .

head bearings are new, recently adjusted and solid
wheel bearings are 10 mins old
everything is tight bar the floating discs which can be moved on the holds with force

Is this my problem ? Should i retern to standard rotors?

Ill post a pic of the discs in a sec

LEAVE LATER RIDE FASTER

CBR 600 RR-7

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

LEAVE LATER RIDE FASTER

CBR 600 RR-7

Last edited by dan.1moore; 09-29-2010 at 08:39 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Stock discs are semi floating as well, as I said earlier - a little pulsating in the lever is normal, and if your shaking the front around that much you may be feeling the brake lines touch the fairings.

It will not be worth spending a lot of dollars trying to fix something that isn't broken, some things are just the way they are...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Iv already changed every thing that can be changed but the discs i had to change as my stock right was warped and the lower head bearing was gone and needed replacing ..

Thanks for your help. i agree with you that it is just gonna be like that. because i had such a violent judder before due to the warp and dodgy head bearing, i think im just a bit paranoid after spending so much on the front end

Cheers

LEAVE LATER RIDE FASTER

CBR 600 RR-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page