front end shake - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front end shake

So i let my dumbass friend ride my bike and he dropped it at a turn going around the block probably around 10mph and now i have a few problems. To start off the left side took an impact and i wished i had put sliders for the protection. The left handlebar seemed to take the most impact which knocked the triple tree slightly off center, so when the bike moves on a straight line the triple tree is slightly turned towards the right. Everything else is ok nothing is leaking the forks were checked out by a mechanic and has no problems, but the mechanic says the top and bottom tree needs to be replaced. I have read somewhere that the forks can be reset by putting the bike on a stand and removing the bolts for trees. So i guess i need to either strap the bike up or rest the headers on wood or something soft (if someone can confirm that this will not damage the headers on the bike that would be great) I definitely want to try this first before spending money on a new tree. In addition the front end (handlebar) shakes when i get up to speeds +50 mph and progressively gets worse. I am not sure if this is due to the triple trees or if the wheels took and hit and needs to be weighted, I would appreciate if someone could give some suggestions. Finally, the hole on the swingarm where the spools go into to jack up the bike came off because i left the spools on. I took it to a welder and i felt like they were giving me some bs charging me 200$ to just to aluminum weld something the size of a grape. I was wondering if i can do it myself by getting a torch clamp the damn thing on and reweld it back on

Sorry i know its lengthy, i wanted to get some suggestions before trusting a mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Demented

If the forks were checked out by a mechanic, there should be no need to loosen anything to straighten the triples/forks, as the forks should have already been removed and reinstalled.

Assuming that the forks indeed were not checked properly, take the forks off and check the runout of both fork legs. Any more than 0.2mm and the forks are trash. Also check the triple trees on a flat surface, like a piece of glass. If they're only slightly bent if any at all, you should be able to straighten them. If they're bent by a good portion, trash them.

No, you cannot reweld the nut back on to the swingarm with just a torch. $200 is a bit high, but that is a fair price for welding aluminum, especially thin walled aluminum. The reason why the price would be so much is that to the welder, it's an unknown aluminum alloy. Can't just grab some welding rod and weld up on an unknown alloy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the info, my biggest concern is probably the wobbling because it could effect the performance on the road any suggestions for that?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Demented

Wobbling could be from maybe a bent rim, or something in the suspension that is bent and causing the bike to sway. Could even be loose or damaged head bearings.

Either way, the bike shouldn't be ridden until it's fixed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

alright if i were to take a guess it would most likely be the steering head bearings if that is what you're referring to (im still learning about motorcycle parts). There was never a problem with the wobbling before the accident, i doubt the suspension or rim were affected when it dropped and my bike is an 06 cbr600rr so the previous owner may have not service the bearings. I guess i should examine the it when i remove the forks. What do you think i should be looking for?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Demented

Even light crashes can damage or tweak a lot of things, which can be seen by how the triples twisted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page