Faulty Fuel Guage - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Faulty Fuel Guage

Bike info: 2005 CBR600rr w/ 24k, Arata slip on, flush mount blinkers, undertail kit, all other is stock, no engine mods.
Over the last week my fuel gauge has been inaccurate. When I fill up my bike the gauge would read full then after a few miles register as being empty. The bars would just start to disapear one by one. The one remaining bar would start to then blink as if it were out of gas (even though there is a full tank).

This was until the fuel gauge presented me with an error message (the fuel guage looked like a knight rider scanner). The bike manual simply states that this is an error code, open circut in the fuel sensor or fuel pump. AND just today the backlight on the guage cluster is out, but everything still works on the cluster just no backlight. The bike has never been down.

The FI light wasn't lit so I know its not an injector issue. I have not pulled the tank yet...

Im going to examine the instrument cluster wiring and check for any shorts, worn wires, loose connections or anything unplugged first.

I just put a brand new fuel pump in the bike last month because I was having the same issue. My mechanic said it was the Sending Unit initially. The float is not stuck, I checked.

Possibilities: Bad ground somewhere, bad connection near guage cluster, loose pin connection, bad connection of fuel tank wires under the tank, heat related short circut, fuel pump relay, short in the fuel pump wiring, pinched tubing.
Does anyone have any other ideas what could cause the error message or suggestions as to what to check? There is a brand new fuel pump in the tank, I doubt it's bad. I am going to check all these things tonight when I get off work. I do not have a multimeter.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Demented

Would you mind using the default text color so that those of us on a different theme than you can read what you post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page