Weird noise. 2003 600rr - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Weird noise. 2003 600rr

after i got my bike i noticed a ticking coming from the bike. i thought i was just hypochondriac since it was something new but i had it looked at anyway. The guy i brang my bike to said it was normal. I dont think he heard the noise i was talking about since it seems to get louder. i only hear it at low rpms till about 5-6k then i dont. But thats not the problem, while going to work the other day it seemed to be getting louder and making a different noise and also the bike seemed hesitant when giving gas, then all of a sudden it sounded like my chain popped. i grabbed the clutch instantly and coasted to the next road. i got off and ilistened. Its hard to explain how it sounded because i turned it off right after to avoid any further damage. But when i reved it it seemed like it was shuttering and then would rev up some.. ANY HELP is appreciated before i bring it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Demented

Well, the sound would have only been an issue with the CCT possibly, but from what you just explained, sounds like your cam chain either broke or jumped timing and the engine probably committed suicide.

If you're handy, you can start tearing into the motor and find out what is wrong, if not, have a trained tech inspect the bike and fix the damage.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So basically what your saying is im ******?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Demented

I wouldn't go as far as saying you're fucked, but I'd go as far as to say expect a pricey repair bill.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Lol.. which is basically the same thing. repair would be more then a new engine? assuming i could find one without any problems.?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Demented

Depending on what broke, a new engine will probably be cheaper. Might be worth it to just have it checked out before going which ever route.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well im gonna bring it in on monday i was just hoping from what i explained it wasn't going to be something crazy.. Dammmmmmm.. this sucks . Lol my dream has become my nightmare.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You may be lucky and get away with a couple of damaged timing gears, chain and cct or you may be unlucky and find that the valves have been bent along with everything else in which case start looking for a new motor.

You may also be able to get the other bloke you took it to to pay given that he said all was normal, you just need to find a couple of other mechanics to say that he got it wrong...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Is there a way i can look to see if the CCT broke before i bring it in.? or do i have to take the whole engine apart to figure all this out.?

Also what engines fit the 03? is it just the 03? or 03-06 are basically the same?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Demented

Only way is to start pulling the engine apart and finding out all of the damaged bits. You should go to another mechanic and not the same one who said your bike souded normal.
03-04 will be cheaper, though 05-06 fit, but you need things like the 05-06 wire loom, etc.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well thanks for the feedback. Im bringing it in tomorrow hopefully i will get somewhat good news... will keep you posted on what is actually wrong. The guy i bring it too does all kinds of bikes. the shop he owns sponsors sean dwyer and they do all his motor work an stuff. I just dont think he was hearing the noise when i showed him.. But who knows.

Last edited by CbrMike091; 10-18-2010 at 12:50 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Always possible....
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Could It just be the motor? My 04 is pretty loud. That was one thing that I always liked about that I could hear the motor over the exhaust. Hope ur not fvcked. Good luck.

2004 600RR Black/Silver

DDM 55W 5000K H.I.D.'s
Custom made fiberglass FE
Black windshield (painted)
Hotbodies flush mounts
yosh full carbon exhaust
PCIII
chrome wheels
custom blue LED lighting
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallymine04 View Post
Could It just be the motor? My 04 is pretty loud. That was one thing that I always liked about that I could hear the motor over the exhaust. Hope ur not fvcked. Good luck.
Sounds like what the OP described are not normal engine noises.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok we figured out what it was. It was none of what was described. when i brought it in they found that one of the cylinders was not firing. after they took it apart they found that the spark plug had broke somehow. none of the valves were scratched and they got all the pieces out. and put in all new plugs.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Administrator

You got lucky! Glad that it all turned out well.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM
World Superbike Racer

Well this has definately taught me somethig.

Next time i buy a bike, im taking it to a mechanic and having him check it out. Or if i have learn how by then, ill do it.

Now im afraid im going ti find something wrong with my bike.

Im glad it all worked out for you!

When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.
-Confucius

R.I.P. phatty
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyandhisbike View Post
Well this has definately taught me somethig.

Next time i buy a bike, im taking it to a mechanic and having him check it out. Or if i have learn how by then, ill do it.

Now im afraid im going ti find something wrong with my bike.

Im glad it all worked out for you!

If you don't know exactly what your doing arrange for someone who does to check it out BEFORE you hand your dollars over, especially considering the potential harm that could result if something were to go wrong, like a chain snapping for example...

Its cheap insurance...
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post

If you don't know exactly what your doing arrange for someone who does to check it out BEFORE you hand your dollars over, especially considering the potential harm that could result if something were to go wrong, like a chain snapping for example...

Its cheap insurance...

my big mistake.

I thought the guy i brought knew a lot. We were friends for about 4 years, and rode bmx together. He knew "everything" about bmx like i did, so i assumed he learned a whole lot about motrocycles as well.

Like i said in a different thread, he is all about looking cool, going fast, and doing wheelies.

Next time i buy looking to buy a used bike. I am going to leave my car at the guys place, take the bike home and tear it down. With the owner's premission of course. If he dosen't want me looking at the bikes insides, it probably wasn't cared for too much.

When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.
-Confucius

R.I.P. phatty
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyandhisbike View Post
my big mistake.

I thought the guy i brought knew a lot. We were friends for about 4 years, and rode bmx together. He knew "everything" about bmx like i did, so i assumed he learned a whole lot about motrocycles as well.

Like i said in a different thread, he is all about looking cool, going fast, and doing wheelies.

Next time i buy looking to buy a used bike. I am going to leave my car at the guys place, take the bike home and tear it down. With the owner's premission of course. If he dosen't want me looking at the bikes insides, it probably wasn't cared for too much.
There is no way in the world I would let someone take my bike and tear it down, and I do look after it... Doesn't matter if you left me with a $100k car, if you stuffed my bike up you could still come around and take your car back and leave me with nothing...

At the same time, I have no issue with meeting a buyer at local a mechanics workshop and letting the mechanic look it over...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page