Starter relay just clicks - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter relay just clicks

Bike is a 2003 with 22000km, I try cranking it but nothing.
The relay just goes crazy and starts clicking non stop (meaning as long as my thumb is on th starter button the relay sounds like a machine gun).

I've checked the battery and it's fine (even charged it to be sure), I checked all the grounds and cleaned them, all the fuses are good.

Also when I try to start it the cluster goes blank and the clock gets reset every time.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS???????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by morto View Post
Bike is a 2003 with 22000km, I try cranking it but nothing.
The relay just goes crazy and starts clicking non stop (meaning as long as my thumb is on th starter button the relay sounds like a machine gun).

I've checked the battery and it's fine (even charged it to be sure), I checked all the grounds and cleaned them, all the fuses are good.

Also when I try to start it the cluster goes blank and the clock gets reset every time.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS???????????

what up bro,

I have the same 03, and the same issue,

mine just wont start after it gets hot, so all signs point to the starter motor,

does it do this all the time, everytime you start the bike?

does it start at all?

a little more info, there are some good guys, with knowledge here, so they may provide some insight,

good luck, I would check the wires running to the relay, perhaps one is brittle,

good luck,

more info though, let us know when it does it, and if there are any variables,

does it do this all the time, or

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Demented

Have you had your battery load tested? A battery can have the proper voltage but still be bad. What you described is basically how a bike will react on a dead battery.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The first time it happened I was out riding and stopped after hitting a few twisties.

When I went to leave it wouldn't crank, so I thought maybe it was because of the rectifier (when it 's hot I have to wait a bit for the temps to drop a bit) so I just push started it and went on my way. After i stopped for gas it started without a hitch, so I thought nothhing of it.

The following week it happened four times in one day and I was about 4hrs from home so I just pinned it home hoping it would make it. It ran fine just wouldn't start under it's own power, I had to push it. When I got home I tried starting it again and it started fine.

Today it just wont start, I checked the rectifier and it seems to be fine (as per the manual specs) I checked the grounds, I put the voltmeter to the battery and got 12.8 volts.
Tomorrow I have to load test the battery and I was hoping I would get some more suggestions on what to look for.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need a new battery.

What is happening is that the battery shows a good voltage when there is little to no load on it, next you hit the starter and the solenoid throws which in turn connects the starter motor to the battery, the high load of the starter motor drops the battery below the hold voltage of the solenoid and so it then returns to its 'off' position and disconnects the starter motor.
Now that the starter motor is disconnected there is little load on the battery and the whole cycle starts again with the solenoid throwing again.

The clicking your hearing is the solenoid oscillating with the load applied to the battery and the battery's voltage.

Get a new battery and problem solved.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^My thoughts exactly.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

I'm still wondering how he got 12.8 volts. You should never get over 12.6v with the bike off, the battery design is 6 cells that produce 2.1v each, total of 12.6v.

It does sound like your battery is done. If you are near me I would hook you up with my spare battery for cheap.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
1st thought that popped in my head was low battery voltage.

2nd thought was the rectifier issue with 03's.

have both checked out.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdca7718 View Post
I'm still wondering how he got 12.8 volts. You should never get over 12.6v with the bike off, the battery design is 6 cells that produce 2.1v each, total of 12.6v.

It does sound like your battery is done. If you are near me I would hook you up with my spare battery for cheap.
12.6v would be undercharged. The OE batteries are fully charged at 13.0-13.2V
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

I see that in the service manual, I would like to know how the OE battery makes more volts than the average battery.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdca7718 View Post

2.2V per cell I believe, and if it has just come off the charger then he will definitely be able to get 12.8, not to mention the accuracy of his meter is a big unknown.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thank you you guys for all the input, I finally got it started.

I checked every wire and connection, tested every relay even pulled the starter relay off of my brother's 900rr since it's the same part number, and to my suprise all it took was a trip to the local shop to buy a new YTZ10-S .

Don't I feel stupid I probably should have read these posts a little sooner and saved myself a little elbow grease.

But all in all a good learning experience, thanks alot guys.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
buy a battery charger/maintainer too.
they're not very expensive at all. $50 gets you a very capable and dependable unit.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page