07 600rr intermittent starting problem. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 600rr intermittent starting problem.

My bike has always started at the first crank so i just hit the starter and pull my thumb away after the first crank and it runs no problem. a few weeks ago after lunch (bike was sitting for 1 hour tops in the sun) the bike did not ignite after the first crank. I thought it was weird so i turned the ignish off and flipped the kill switch. then it started up after the second crank or so (important to note that it seemed to take a longer time of the starter turning the engine over before it would ignite). now about every 3rd time or so i try to start the bike it will not start. it seems to be when the bike is not cold or warm, but semi warm that it has the issue. the starter will turn the engine over and over and it will not start. I stop and try again with usually no improvement. then i flip the kill switch and turn the ignish off and then back on and then some times it will start. if not then i try that process again.

things is suspect:

My battery has been drained from me leaving accessories on about 4 times now and it is at least 2 years old. it can only run the starter for about 10 seconds continuously before it sounds like it is turning slower and then it stops altogether. i know it is a compromised battery but the first few cranks sound like they are turning plenty fast. i have charged it several times and the bike starts no problem when first off the charger (but then again, it is also cold)

i removed some accessories from the bike the other day and instead of taking the farrings off and taking off the wires, like an idiot i pulled the wires out from underneath the farrings. of course they got stuck on the wiring harnes and like an idiot i pulled them free instead of taking off the farrings and unhooking them. since i started having the problem i have taken off the farrings and inspected the harness for shorts. it all looks fine to me, and all of the connectors that may have taken some of the force look fine also. it is the harness that runs along the left side of the tank towars the steering damper.

the bike has 26k miles on it and i have never changes the stark plugs....

any ideas??? my first guess is that i need a new battery. but i am not that confident in that decision because the starter sounds totally normal for the first 5 seconds of turning. i guess that is going to be the first thing that i try if no one has any ideas.

bump starts fine every time.

thanks guys!

Ride On!

Lyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have a look at the contacts in the kill switch, and get your battery load tested cause AGM batteries don't like being discharged too far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page