Two questions... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Two questions...

Ok, if anyone remembers, I was having a problem with my 03 rr motor locking up. I pulled the engine and put in a new engine with appx 3500 miles on it. Put everything back together and the motor started right up. I let it warm up a little and started revving it to see how it revved. When i would just bump the throttle maybe 3k-4k everything is fine, but when I rev it higher and let off the throttle it dies and cant be restarted for maybe 5 min. If i try to restart it before then it backfires and wont turn over. I checked all my vacuum lines and theyre all secure. No fuel leaks. I was wondering if the ECU needed a reflash or something similiar. Is there anyone else thats done something similar and could lend some info.

Second question. The fuel gauge, according to the manual, is showing that there is an open circuit for the fuel level sender unit as the bars are growing from the middle outwards on the display. I know the fuel level sender is integrated into the fuel pump, but wheres the flipping wire? Is it the same as the fuel pump wire?...as this is the only electrical connector coming out of the fuel pump. Maybe im just being dumb idk but a little push in the right direction might help.

Oh, and the motor is from an 04 rr so I there should be any electrical compatibility issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Demented

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an electrical fault with the fuel pump which is causing both of your issues. Lift the fuel tank and you'll find all of the lines, and while you're there check that the flow rate of the pump matches factory specs.

A bad fuel pump will cause the issue of an engine dying when it revs high enough, as it cannot give the engine enough fuel.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Make sure your grounds are all hooked up properly cause as demented said fuel pump is a likely culprit, bad ground on it will cause it not to run to spec and because it shares it with the gauge that wont work either...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok, what ground would be bad and where is it?....ill check it out. I'm leary of saying the pump is bad, as the bike will rev to 10k plus but it dies as the rpms return to idle.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynick1 View Post
Ok, what ground would be bad and where is it?....ill check it out. I'm leary of saying the pump is bad, as the bike will rev to 10k plus but it dies as the rpms return to idle.
Electrical faults are a bitch. You're going to have to check for unwanted resistance over the whole circuit and find the issue. Check all of the ground connections on the bike.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Is that only the case if you let the throttle off all at once? Or does it happen when you bring it down slowly?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It only happens when I let the throttle snap closed, if I ease it off then it returns to idle like normal. Its almost like it induces a rich condition that floods the engine
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Update: Fixed the fuel gauge issue...all I had to do was unplug the battery.....also let it warm up again and tried to duplicate the dying issue. After trying for maybe 3-4 min of revving to almost 10k and snapping it off i couldnt get it to do it again....whatever.
My neighbors now absolutely hate me lol.

New issue has come to my attention though function checking everything else, the blinkers and tail light are jack up. When its in its normal (not supposed to be on mode) both front indicators are lit up and the rear ones are not. When I hit the left indicator, the left front turns off and the right stays lit and nothing happens to either rear indicator. The same happens when I turn on the right indicator except opposite. When I go to cancel the indicators, both of them illuminate.

Next issue: my tail light comes on like normal, however when either the rear brake or the front brake are pressed, no brake light and the tail lights stays illuminated like normal. The license plate light works just fines.

Final issue, which isnt a huge issue but might give a clue to the others. Horn no longer works.

All of these issues are the same whether the bike is running or just turned "on". I was wondering if anyone, tripage shoutout to you haha, had a good starting point as I dive into the wiring diagrams of the service manual. Its damn aggravating that these little issues are keeping me from getting this thing fully back together but it comes with the territory...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Couple extra notes...The high beams work normally, and the gauge pod indicates high beams.
When I turn on the indicators the indicator light does not illuminate on the gauge pod.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Sorry for being johnny squid over here but as soon as i finished posting I realized I didnt even check the damn fuses....VIOLA. Replaced it and everything seems to work fine now. On a side note I had no idea that the front indicators stay lit all the time.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry for being johnny squid over here but as soon as i finished posting I realized I didnt even check the damn fuses....VIOLA. Replaced it and everything seems to work fine now. On a side note I had no idea that the front indicators stay lit all the time.
All good mate, glad you got it sorted. The front indicators are your running lights...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page