Bike stalled twice today for no good reason - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bike stalled twice today for no good reason

So I was out today in the nice weather. Filled up with gas at the start then proceeded to do about 80 miles over 2.5 hours. Mainly city driving.

Well when i was done putting around the downtown area I jumped on the freeway home. I was doing about 65-70 MPH (2 to 3 minutes on the freeway) and bike temp was back down to 175 from the 210ish from city driving.
I was not accelerating or slowing and then the bike kinda bucked a little and started to slow down. I look down and the RPMs are jumping from zero to about 7K. I clutch in the oil light flicks on, i tap the starter and the bike roared to life again.

Second stall i was back on city level streets stopped at a light waiting to turn right behind a car. I rev'd a bit to get the car ahead to move and then it just cut out. Clutch was full in already I tapped the started and off I went.

Neither time did I touch the kill switch.

How does the bike just stall with 3/4+ a tank of gas at 65+MPH???

Oh and since being parked in my garage there is a strong smell of gas near my bike, but no spots/pools/drips etc to be found.

What is wrong and what do I need to check?

2009 Black CBR 600 RR ABS - SOLD
- Leo Vince Unlimited Midnight Exhaust, Unique Motolights HID Projectors/LEDs/Dual Halos, Powder Coated Swingarm & Rear-sets, LP Flushmount Front signals, Moto-Science Ducati Turn Signal Mirrors

[size=1]2010 HD Sportster 48

"Even a pro-level rider wouldn't be able to reach the first-time stopping distance or deceleration rate of the C-ABS bike."
- Sport Rider Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Demented

What mods have been done to the bike prior to this happening?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I have a set of flush mount turn signals and mirrors with signals.
Other than that nothing; not even a fender mod.

- Leo Vince Unlimited Midnight Exhaust, Unique Motolights HID Projectors/LEDs/Dual Halos, Powder Coated Swingarm & Rear-sets, LP Flushmount Front signals, Moto-Science Ducati Turn Signal Mirrors

"Even a pro-level rider wouldn't be able to reach the first-time stopping distance or deceleration rate of the C-ABS bike."
- Sport Rider Magazine

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Demented

Ride around for a little bit, then stop and open the fuel tank. See if there's any bit of a vacuum pull inside the tank.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Will have to try that tomorrow morning.

I would think if it was vacuum sucking the tank the bike should not start again unless I released the vacuum?
Anything else for me to look at? The weather is supposed to get cold again after tomorrow so I may not get her out again for a few days or longer.

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Demented

Normally, but with an abnormal gas smell, not a bad place to check. Kinda difficult to pin point anything with nothing having been modified. Could just be a loose wire or battery connection, but that will be something you'll have to dig around to find.

If it's still under warranty, take it in to a shop.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hmm.. that is strange?
when your bike stalled out, were you still getting power to the gauges and your lights or did they dim out? sounds like more of an electronic problem over a mechanical problem. that's strange why it wouldn't hesitate to start up after it stalled out like that.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could it be you might have got some bad gas or some sediment? I do not get gas from a station if I know they got a recent delivery.

"It only hurts till you die"

"No, that really wasn't just a hint it was a suggestion"

"Crash"
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteac70 View Post
Could it be you might have got some bad gas or some sediment? I do not get gas from a station if I know they got a recent delivery.
that wouldn't explain why his bike is able to start up again and run fine otherwise before it stalled. I'm positive his gasoline is not the problem.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
I would suspect some sort of electrical issue as well, but if its working fine at the time then there is nothing there to find broken.

Just keep riding it around until it breaks properly and don't go on any long trips... then you will have something to fault find.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I Always Start with the Simple Things First

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
that wouldn't explain why his bike is able to start up again and run fine otherwise before it stalled. I'm positive his gasoline is not the problem.
I dare to disagree....

Engine off not sucking gas, sediment or whatever falls back in line/tank, line is now clear. It does happen. He used about 2 gallons of gas during the ride before this all occurred with no issues but if something was in the tank, it is now going to be easier to be sucked in the fuel line. If it was an electrical problem, it should have happened before unless he got in to some really wicked bumps or really rough road and knocked something loose. But I could be wrong.

"It only hurts till you die"

"No, that really wasn't just a hint it was a suggestion"

"Crash"

Last edited by fteac70; 10-30-2010 at 09:58 PM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteac70 View Post
I dare to disagree....

Engine off not sucking gas, sediment or whatever falls back in line/tank, line is now clear. It does happen. He used about 2 gallons of gas during the ride before this all occurred with no issues but if something was in the tank, it is now going to be easier to be sucked in the fuel line. If it was an electrical problem, it should have happened before unless he got in to some really wicked bumps or really rough road and knocked something loose. But I could be wrong.
I guess I understand what you're saying, but if this was this case it would most likely be a constant problem of bogging in the fuel system, rather random stalling's of the engine. the bike wouldn't idle right and the bike wouldn't ride right. his throttle response timing would also have a negative impact if there was deposits running through his fuel system. I'm sure he would notice if that was the case. I'm not saying it's not possible though, just unlikely.
also, since the 600rr's fuel is controlled mostly electronically, and that of having 2 injectors per cylinder, the secondary injector for each cylinder is coming on at around 5,000 rpm's, so the system is relatively complex in another words. ANY small malfunction, with fuses and maybe loose connections or harnesses can cause these types of problems. though that may not be the case, I would still assume it's electrical.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What irks me about this:
It certainly sounds like a fuel problem, but why would a bump of the starter switch get it running right away again?

I'd guess -
If an electrical connection through the starter switch was shaking loose, it could knock out your fuel cut relay, and turn off the fuel pump. Then re-pressing the button could re-establish the connection well enough for you to get going again.

1. Idle the bike and whack on the starter switch housing a little with something, see if you can get it to stall again.
2. Do the same thing with the fuel cut relay, and check its connectors for corrosion (it's under the left fairing).

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

To see if I can answer a few things that came up in posts since my last.

1. There were no real bumps in the road when it stalled on the freeway.
2. I had the bike out today to warm it up, punched hard a few times with no delay in response.
3. When on a rear stand the oil check looks good.
4. There was no sucking sound from the gas cap when opened after the warm up run.
5. No strong gas smell after shutdown today.
6. Gas used yesterday was from a station I have used before, but not many times. (could be bad gas)
7. I remember that while at two different red lights yesterday there was a smell of gas also. I thought nothing of it at the time as there were other cars around.
8. On the freeway when stalled the RPM gauge was jumping around, and when the clutch went in the oil light came on (like when the key is first turned on).

I think i will have to try the tapping on the throttle housing and kill switch area while running.

From looking around the bike in the sunlight I cannot see anything out of place, leaking, stained from a leak, etc. I will def have to keep the trips short for a while until this either goes away or comes back strong.

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobaron View Post
3. When on a rear stand the oil check looks good.
Oil should be checked with the bike held level and not on the kickstand or rear stand.

4. There was no sucking sound from the gas cap when opened after the warm up run.
Open the fuel tank after the bike stalls again. Just opening the tank when no problem is present serves no purpose. It's likely and very easy for one of the fuel overflow/breather lines to be pinched between the tank and motor randomly with movement from the fuel tank or fairings.

8. On the freeway when stalled the RPM gauge was jumping around, and when the clutch went in the oil light came on (like when the key is first turned on).

I think i will have to try the tapping on the throttle housing and kill switch area while running.
That last one just screams electrical issue. Check that the battery connections are tight and body grounds are not loose.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Pocketbike Racer

You could have accidently hit your kill switch.....TWO TIMES!

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistahtaki View Post
You could have accidently hit your kill switch.....TWO TIMES!
Done that a few times... once when I had intended to put the high beams on, hit it and the bike shut down.. not cool.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
That last one just screams electrical issue. Check that the battery connections are tight and body grounds are not loose.

Start at the relays and FI fuse. Did your clock on the gauges reset itself at the same time?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Guages and clock are fine. Clock, Trip A and Trip B all have proper numbers.

Don't think I it the kill switch at all. I never use it to stop the bike from running. I think that on this bike I have never used the switch once, except when the bike was already off and that was just to check if it moved.

I will be trying the tapping on the kill housing this afternoon if I get off work early enough, and may pop off the seat to take a look around there also.

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

It might be worth popping your tank up (not off), too. Only takes 10-15 min.
If you smell gas but don't find puddles on the floor, under your tank is a good place to start looking. And if gas got into an electrical plug/connection, it could explain some of this stuff.

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

10 - 15 mins to lift the tank.. hrrmmmmmm
What plastics need to pop off to do it... Just the tank cover? or that plus the side uppers?

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Demented

I think just the mids and the tank cover. Been a long time since I worked on a bike with stock fairings.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Mmmmm it's a little more than that (I miss my old F3 race fairings! One two three BAM done)

Going from memory:
Ram air covers, main left and right covers. Then pop off your seat (just 2 bolts) and I think you have to get the two skinny black runners that go from under either side of the seat back to the tail. Then you can get off your tank cover.
Finally, remove front two bolts for tank, loosen rear 2, tilt up and tie it in place with something to the back of the bike.

Allens: 3, 5, maybe 6mm
Flathead screwdriver for dzus and popping out tabs

Enjoy!

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by z537z View Post
Mmmmm it's a little more than that (I miss my old F3 race fairings! One two three BAM done)

Going from memory:
Ram air covers, main left and right covers. Then pop off your seat (just 2 bolts) and I think you have to get the two skinny black runners that go from under either side of the seat back to the tail. Then you can get off your tank cover.
Finally, remove front two bolts for tank, loosen rear 2, tilt up and tie it in place with something to the back of the bike.

Allens: 3, 5, maybe 6mm
Flathead screwdriver for dzus and popping out tabs

Enjoy!
There's no ram air covers on the 07+ bikes.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

So I ran the tank to almost dry and have not had an issue with the bike.
I am thinking that whatever may have been in the fuel has been burned through.

I will keep in touch with any updates should I find any other issues.

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Sheepsta

I had a problem where my bike was randomly stalling, even on the highway etc.

Turns out that one of the bolts connecting the + / - leads to my bike was coming loose and just cutting power enough to stall it occasionally.

But your battery / trip a / b should be reset if that was the case i think.

edit: sometimes i had no issues for a few days at a time.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I am thinking back to my electronics days in college and a device might keep mem if under/no voltage for a split second. So maybe i may still have the battery connector issue.

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobaron View Post
I am thinking back to my electronics days in college and a device might keep mem if under/no voltage for a split second. So maybe i may still have the battery connector issue.
Your talking a few hundred nanoseconds there... if its gonna stall your bike it will definitely reset your clock!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

So I have been picking around and cannot find any lose wires, connections, etc. The battery terminals are as tight as can be without stripping or using a long handle wrench to really torque it down.

Still searching for the culprit of my stall.

- Sport Rider Magazine
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Has it stopped doing it since?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page