Starting Problems - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Problems

I know this is a second thread about it, but I guess my case is a bit different.

Was riding my 2008 to the shop today (ironically enough) just to get a tire change. On my way there I stop and park the bike to look at my phone for directions.

When I try to start it again, the engine turns over and fails to ignite. As I try a number of times, I can only hear the sparking of the ignition, but the engine doesn't even crank anymore.

wtfsickle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Demented

Have you checked your kill switch? Did the fuel pump prime?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

Checked the kill switch beyond whether it was on or off? I'm sure it was on because the starter was clicking sounded like sparks, but nothing happened.

Lights came on, all the gauges were normal.

Not sure what you mean by if the fuel pump primed? How do I check?

What has me really curious is that it started absolutely fine when I started my ride. I stopped for a brief second, went to start it again, and then nothing. Just crank, crank, cran..k, crrr......, click, click, click.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Demented

Kill switch on or off, the starter will spin. If it was in the kill mode, or if the contacts inside are dirty/corroded/pitted, the engine wont fire.

Turn the key on and listen for a whirring sound beneath the fuel tank.

The clicking now shows the battery has drained from trying to start the bike over and over, but it should still have the voltage to turn on the electrical systems and prime the fuel pump.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wait ... clicking sound like sparks?

like press button *clickclickclickclickclick* ... damn near a rattle?

if so, thats not sparks, thats a weak battery causing the starter relay to go ape ****...

you cant hear the sparks from a sparkplug when they are burried in a motor.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

Hmm... I think I did hear a whirring sound as I turned the key. I'm also positive that the kill switch was on. I always shut down the bike with the kickstand. I don't touch the kill switch.

I hope it's not crazy expensive to fix, because my mechanic is holding my bike for me right now.

:-\
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
wait ... clicking sound like sparks?

like press button *clickclickclickclickclick* ... damn near a rattle?

if so, thats not sparks, thats a weak battery causing the starter relay to go ape ****...

you cant hear the sparks from a sparkplug when they are burried in a motor.
wouldn't describe it as a rattle, but yeah a very audible 'clickclickclickclick'
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Demented

The killswitch can be damaged internally, even when not used. It's a free fix you can do yourself if that is the issue.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
The killswitch can be damaged internally, even when not used. It's a free fix you can do yourself if that is the issue.

would a damaged kill switch cause the symptoms I described? I'm not really sure what the kill switch does on a CBR, on a Ninja the starter doesn't do squat with the kill switch off

my mechanic said he suspects a faulty fuel pump or that the battery isn't being charged somehow.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYC View Post
would a damaged kill switch cause the symptoms I described? I'm not really sure what the kill switch does on a CBR, on a Ninja the starter doesn't do squat with the kill switch off

my mechanic said he suspects a faulty fuel pump or that the battery isn't being charged somehow.
Could be a bunch of things, but the kill switch on a 600RR just shuts off the fuel system, and not the starter.

Best to find out what the bike is currently doing as it sits since that is the only way to troubleshoot. If the fuel pump and everything is fine, it points to a battery problem. If the fuel pump doesn't prime, it points to something in the Fi circuit. All of which are easy to figure out as long as you know the basics of what the bike is doing.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

He is either trying to prepare you for the biggest dollar hit (worst case scenario type thing),
OR
Your mechanic is an idiot,
OR
Trying to fleece you for a lot of money...

Many things will cause the bike not to run and the fuel pump is not an overly common issue.

Kill switch is much more likely (and a very common fault)

Also, given that your battery was fine before you let it keep turning over for ages your battery was not the issue to start with. However depending on how old it is and how far you let it discharge it may be stuffed now...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
First of all, unless my ears are crusted in, I've never heard ignition sparks in any vehicle.
Is the clicking happening after it sputters a while, or the whole time you're trying to start?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

I didn't hit the starter for very long. I tried it a couple times and gave up because I didn't want to drain the battery. The headlights and gauges are still powering up.

When I hit the switch at first it turned over and got weaker and weaker. Hitting it a second time, it turned over even weaker than the first time. Hitting it a third time produced no engine sound whatsoever, just clicking noises (I thought it sounded like sparking, but apparently I'm just pulling **** out of my ass). However, there was clicking and absolutely nothing else.

The instrument cluster blanks and it goes clickclickclickclickclick.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Demented

That's what happens with a dead battery.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't hit the starter for very long. I tried it a couple times and gave up because I didn't want to drain the battery. The headlights and gauges are still powering up.

When I hit the switch at first it turned over and got weaker and weaker. Hitting it a second time, it turned over even weaker than the first time. Hitting it a third time produced no engine sound whatsoever, just clicking noises (I thought it sounded like sparking, but apparently I'm just pulling **** out of my ass). However, there was clicking and absolutely nothing else.

The instrument cluster blanks and it goes clickclickclickclickclick.
That would be dead battery then....
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Get a car battery and try jump starting the bike, if you use a car DON'T have the car running!

Then rev it up to 5k rpm and check the battery voltage, should be around 14V

Could be your r/r causing the whole issue.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

aha... hmm so I guess this may be a stupid question but... why would the battery just die all the sudden? I was riding it for like at least 30 minutes prior to turning the engine off.

so is the mechanic right in saying that the battery isn't getting charged somehow? how do I tell if it the battery that is the problem, or the system that is supposed to be charging it that is the problem?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
JYC
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Get a car battery and try jump starting the bike, if you use a car DON'T have the car running!

Then rev it up to 5k rpm and check the battery voltage, should be around 14V

Could be your r/r causing the whole issue.
r/r?

10 chars....
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Demented

Quote:
aha... hmm so I guess this may be a stupid question but... why would the battery just die all the sudden? I was riding it for like at least 30 minutes prior to turning the engine off.

so is the mechanic right in saying that the battery isn't getting charged somehow? how do I tell if it the battery that is the problem, or the system that is supposed to be charging it that is the problem?
Without testing, there's no way of knowing if the battery is or is not getting charged.

Like most electronics, a battery can be fine one second and be dead another. It's just the nature of how they are.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
r/r?

10 chars....
Regulator / Rectifier - the thing that charges your battery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Without testing, there's no way of knowing if the battery is or is not getting charged.

Like most electronics, a battery can be fine one second and be dead another. It's just the nature of how they are.
to that

They do give you signs that they are on their way out like for instance voltage vs charge time, internal temp etc etc. but they are obviously things that don't get looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page