Another "my bike won't start" thread - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another "my bike won't start" thread

So I go to start my bike, the fuel pump primes, the starter works, the engine won't turn over. I figure, hey, maybe its the battery. Go buy another battery. Still does not work. With the new battery, its like I got a few "putt putts" out of the engine, I could smell some exhaust, but the engine wouldn't actually start.

I also tried push-starting it before I went to buy the other battery, it seemed like maybe its not idling properly or something. I had the bike in second gear, pushed it down the street, popped the clutch and hit the starter, and it sounded like before, a few putt putt putts, but as soon as I pulled in the clutch again, it died.

Any ideas?

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Demented

Really, you hit the starter button while push starting the bike? I hope you didn't break anything there.

What maintenance have you recently done to the bike, or mods. Is your clutch safety switch and kickstand switch functioning properly? Does the bike crank at all, or is it just not starting. You say it wont turn over, but the starter works. Those two statements don't match up.

Can you hear the engine start/stop and starter relays clicking? Have the batteries been load tested and match the stock CCA level? Have you messed with the idle adjuster screw?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

By the way I'm also reading through the Clymer manual an under troubleshooting, it says:

Starter Operates but Engine Does Not Turn Over:
1. Check for damaged starter clutch
2. Check for a damaged or faulty starter drive gears.
3. (does not apply)
4. (does not apply)

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Really, you hit the starter button while push starting the bike? I hope you didn't break anything there.

What maintenance have you recently done to the bike, or mods. Is your clutch safety switch and kickstand switch functioning properly? Does the bike crank at all, or is it just not starting. You say it wont turn over, but the starter works. Those two statements don't match up.

Can you hear the engine start/stop and starter relays clicking? Have the batteries been load tested and match the stock CCA level? Have you messed with the idle adjuster screw?
I put on new levers, thats it...it started after I put them on, but the next day I could not get it to run.

The starter is cranking, it just will not actually get the engine to turn over.

I haven't had the (new) battery load tested but I just now stuck it on the trickle charger. When I hit the start/stop button, I can hear the fuel pump priming (high pitched whirring noise?) and everything there seems normal.

Thanks for the help BTW

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanjuju View Post
I put on new levers, thats it...it started after I put them on, but the next day I could not get it to run.

The starter is cranking, it just will not actually get the engine to turn over.

I haven't had the (new) battery load tested but I just now stuck it on the trickle charger. When I hit the start/stop button, I can hear the fuel pump priming (high pitched whirring noise?) and everything there seems normal.

Thanks for the help BTW
Check the clutch safety switch on the clutch perch.

Will not turn over as in, will not crank the engine (have it spin revolutions) or will not start the engine?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Check the clutch safety switch on the clutch perch.

Will not turn over as in, will not crank the engine (have it spin revolutions) or will not start the engine?
I suppose its turning revolutions, as it putters a little bit, it just won't actually start.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Demented

Does it seem like it's turning over strong, or weak and too slow? Not like it used to.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Definitely weak and too slow. Thats right on the money

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Demented

Could either be a bad battery, the new one is too low of a CCA rating (OE is 190CCA, and anything below 135CCA is really too weak), or the starter motor is bad/dirty.

Best to start with the battery, then pull the starter motor and test it. I believe it's 350RPM that it should spin the motor at.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks man I'll try those things.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
1. Gotta disagree w/ D here - I'd be SHOCKED if you damaged anything pushing the starter switch just pushing the bike by hand.
2. If the starter motor has an issue, you'll likely hear it - that is, the noise from holding down the starter switch won't sound the same. This is unlikely IMO.

The two big things that cause a sputter but won't keep the engine turning over, in my experience, are spark plugs and fuel. These are mostly if it's been sitting around a while, but a few words anyhow:
Plugs - change em! It's worth the effort to rule it out, and it'll cost you all of 15$.
Fuel - your pump is priming (yes, that's the whirring you hear for 3-4 seconds when you first turn the key), so either pop up the tank and ensure no hoses are pinched, and then make sure your injector harnesses are securely plugged in.

If you changed levers and that's all - are you starting in Neutral? Does the Neut. light on your panel light up?
Or, it could possibly be the clutch switch not registering, particularly if you tweaked it with a new lever install....
It could be another electrical issue but typically you won't hear it sputter at all if that's the case, it just won't go anywhere.
The likely culprits would be your ignition coil(s), bank sensor, stand sw (as Demented noted), Reg/Rect, or bad joojoo/act of god.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by z537z View Post
1. Gotta disagree w/ D here - I'd be SHOCKED if you damaged anything pushing the starter switch just pushing the bike by hand.
2. If the starter motor has an issue, you'll likely hear it - that is, the noise from holding down the starter switch won't sound the same. This is unlikely IMO.

The two big things that cause a sputter but won't keep the engine turning over, in my experience, are spark plugs and fuel. These are mostly if it's been sitting around a while, but a few words anyhow:
Plugs - change em! It's worth the effort to rule it out, and it'll cost you all of 15$.
Fuel - your pump is priming (yes, that's the whirring you hear for 3-4 seconds when you first turn the key), so either pop up the tank and ensure no hoses are pinched, and then make sure your injector harnesses are securely plugged in.

If you changed levers and that's all - are you starting in Neutral? Does the Neut. light on your panel light up?
Or, it could possibly be the clutch switch not registering, particularly if you tweaked it with a new lever install....
It could be another electrical issue but typically you won't hear it sputter at all if that's the case, it just won't go anywhere.
The likely culprits would be your ignition coil(s), bank sensor, stand sw (as Demented noted), Reg/Rect, or bad joojoo/act of god.
Valves being way out of spec can also cause failure to start.

how ever, i do not suspect it, as it seems the honda motor is not as prone to that issue as other, mostly older motors.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well let me throw this into the mix...I had the new battery on a trickle charger all night. Came home from work today, put in the key, pushed the starter button...The engine turns over, and I could actually turn the throttle and get it to rev, but it will not idle. If I let off the throttle, it dies.

I'm not automotive savvy, so the answer here may be obvious, but would this point to the idle adjustment or possibly something different?

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Demented

Could be the idle adjustment? Did you mess with the idle adjust screw?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

No never have...not even sure where it is. But I will try it tomorrow evening.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Demented

Check your owners manual. It's the little adjuster knob on the left side of the bike sticking out from beneath the gas tank.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Sounds like the engine is bad. Try replacing the engine and seeing if that fixes it. :D
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Every time this exact thing has happened to me, it's been fuel or spark.
The pump is priming, so hopefully that's not it. But check you don't have any crimped hoses, might be worth popping your tank up.

Check your plugs! Could be that higher RPMs give just a little extra voltage out of the R/R which boosts through your coils and lets it kick over through dirty plugs.

My .02

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by z537z View Post
Every time this exact thing has happened to me, it's been fuel or spark.
The pump is priming, so hopefully that's not it. But check you don't have any crimped hoses, might be worth popping your tank up.

Check your plugs! Could be that higher RPMs give just a little extra voltage out of the R/R which boosts through your coils and lets it kick over through dirty plugs.

My .02
Once I check the idle tonight, if that is not it I will try the plugs. I just went over about 15k miles so it might be time.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Once I check the idle tonight, if that is not it I will try the plugs. I just went over about 15k miles so it might be time.
Time to inspect maybe but they should have a lot of life left in them yet!

Definitely worth making sure they are clean though...
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well I wasn't able to do any work on my bike the last two nights, so I have yet to adjust anything from its original condition from above....

I go out there this morning, the bike starts up just fine, its idling fine, I give it a rev or two, still idles...but I hear a knocking/ticking sound forward of the clutch. Maybe this is just a result of bad gas? I usually get Shell V-Power but I'm thinking last time I got gas I was down at my friend's apt and I bought gas at Exxon. Maybe I bought the low grade?

I'm worried to ride it because I don't know if the sound indicates it's damaging the engine, but I'm not exactly sure what to do now.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Demented

Is it more of a rattle than a knock/tick?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I suppose it may be a rattle rather than a tick.

I rode up and down the street and I could hear the noise regardless of being in nuetral, 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc.

Once the bike really warmed up the rattling stopped...and immediately it started having troubling idling so I shut it off.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Demented

Was the noise at all RPM's, or mostly once you would get the engine to around say, 4000-8000RPM?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

DefDefinitely at all rpms.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is there plenty of oil in the bike? (I know, silly question, but you gotta ask...)
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Demented

Also, how many miles on the bike?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Well I wasn't able to do any work on my bike the last two nights, so I have yet to adjust anything from its original condition from above....

I go out there this morning, the bike starts up just fine, its idling fine, I give it a rev or two, still idles...but I hear a knocking/ticking sound forward of the clutch. Maybe this is just a result of bad gas? I usually get Shell V-Power but I'm thinking last time I got gas I was down at my friend's apt and I bought gas at Exxon. Maybe I bought the low grade?

I'm worried to ride it because I don't know if the sound indicates it's damaging the engine, but I'm not exactly sure what to do now.

according to your avatar, you have an 05/06 .... lowgrade is all that is needed for your bike so its not that.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

If anything I probably have too much oil in the bike.

I also am right at about 15k miles. I appreciate all the help, but at this point I can't replicate the problem anymore. I have done nothing and tonight it seemed to run just fine, no rattle or idling issues...I just don't understand.

I did pull the air filter and it looks pretty dirty so I'll probably go grab one tomorrow for good measure.

Silver 2006 CBR 600RR
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Demented

Is that with the bike on the kickstand or level? Either way, you do have too much oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page