Bike overheats, but only while idling.. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Bike overheats, but only while idling..

My room mate has an 07 cbr 600rr with 6k miles.

he bought the bike used at the start of the summer, and after a week of owning it he noticed that the bike would overheat while riding. the bike was stock when he bought it, and the only thing he has added so far is a tripage IT, proton flush mounts, integrated mirrors, and a leo vince slip on.

in order to fix the over heating problem the following has been attempted so far:
flush and change coolant system (this was done twice, no air is in the system, using engine ice)
change oil and filter, using full synthetic mobile one motorcycle oil (yes we used the correct oil for the bike, we looked it up in the manual)
checked the function of the water pump (it tested fine)
replace thermostat
replace temperature sensor
replaced water pump
removed thermostat
hardwire fan so that it is always running as long as the key is in the "on" position

he also took the bike a private mechanic that used to work for a Honda racing team. This mechanic was the one that first tested the water pump, then replaced the thermostat. then he swapped the sensor. this helped the problem of the bike overheating while riding. he then removed the thermostat completely just to make sure that it wouldn't get stuck and he put a fresh water pump in as well just as a precaution.

at this point the bike does not come close to overheating while riding, it stays under 200 almost all the time. it only over heats after you let it idle for about 7-10 minutes.

we are thinking maybe something with the head gasket? so we were thinking that a compression test and a pressure test of the cooling system might be needed to help figure out this issue?

any ideas on where to go from here?

thanks everyone

Last edited by SuperBrute; 11-11-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added in that water pump was replaced as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Demented

What is "overheating" in regards to temperature?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if it's sitting and idling at around 220-225 Fahrenheit, there isn't anything you should worry about.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

When it was 80 degree's outside it took the bike about ten minutes to get to the 270 mark.

when he lets it idle it eventually always gets all the way to 270, it just takes more or less time to reach that temp based on the outside temp (which is the highest that the bike will indicate according to the manual)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
/Water pump....?

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
water pump, or general heat transfer issue (scaling inside the radiator due to the use of tap water maybe?)

also possible a pinhole headgasket leak causing allowing gases into the cooling system, but not water into the combustion chambers (so no smoke)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Demented

I would also be looking into a malfunctioning ECU. The ECU should kill power to the engine at ~ 258*, so a bike running that far overheated definitely has some issues other than overheating (if it actually is). After starting the bike, does the temp first show in the 90's?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
water pump, or general heat transfer issue (scaling inside the radiator due to the use of tap water maybe?)

also possible a pinhole headgasket leak causing allowing gases into the cooling system, but not water into the combustion chambers (so no smoke)
we made sure to use only fresh distilled water, and the whole system is now only filled with fresh engine ice.

the mechanic also suggested a possible problem with the head gasket, hence why i asked if we should do a compression test.

would a compression test verify if the head gasket is fine?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I would also be looking into a malfunctioning ECU. The ECU should kill power to the engine at ~ 258*, so a bike running that far overheated definitely has some issues other than overheating (if it actually is). After starting the bike, does the temp first show in the 90's?
is there anyway to test the ecu without buying a new one?

and i'm not sure if it shows up as 90's or not, i'll have to ask him to check this weekend.

we did suspect that something was messed with in the electrical system by the past owner tho...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWario89 View Post
we made sure to use only fresh distilled water, and the whole system is now only filled with fresh engine ice.

the mechanic also suggested a possible problem with the head gasket, hence why i asked if we should do a compression test.

would a compression test verify if the head gasket is fine?
It may or may not. Easier to pressure test each cylinder. You can get rubber bungs or kits designed to thread into the spark plug tubes. Blow compressed air into the engine and look for bubbles coming from the radiator cap.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWario89 View Post
is there anyway to test the ecu without buying a new one?

and i'm not sure if it shows up as 90's or not, i'll have to ask him to check this weekend.

we did suspect that something was messed with in the electrical system by the past owner tho...
Spend a couple thousand on a HESD pocket tester or take the bike to a dealership. Will probably be charged for 1 hours labor, though you might be able to talk it down to .5h.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
It may or may not. Easier to pressure test each cylinder. You can get rubber bungs or kits designed to thread into the spark plug tubes. Blow compressed air into the engine and look for bubbles coming from the radiator cap.
okay we'll try that, thank you
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Also, my room mate just told me that the water pump was replaced. so the entire system was replaced once. (thermostat, which was eventually removed, sensor, and water pump)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Demented

Has anyone checked the oil pump drive chain? That could be the issue, though there is still an electronic malfunction somewhere.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

how does one check the oil pump drive chain?

also, a note about the oil. when we changed the oil and put in fresh mobile one and a new filter it took the bike much longer to over heat while idling.. not sure if thats relevant info or not (this was the last thing we did to try and fix the problem, all the other stuff we did came before this step)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Demented

Pull the clutch cover off and the clutch basket and inspect the chain and gears behind it.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:27 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
or remove the front half of the waterpump/cover and try to turn the impella/shaft if it turns easy, either the pump drive or the drive on the back of the oil pump is stuffed. If it doesnt turn your good.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did all the same things on mine, including replacing the ECU..

Ever find a solution?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinco039 View Post
Did all the same things on mine, including replacing the ECU..

Ever find a solution?
sorry i never noticed that you posted here, and yes i realize that its been a couple months lol.. anyway no we never found a solution. My room mate didn't want to replace the ecu or take the clutch out to look at the oil pump because he didn't feel like throwing money at it to fix the problem.. he didn't ride the bike at all last summer. he claims he'll start riding this summer again so we'll see if he wants to try and solve the problem. but if its not the ecu or oil pick up then the only other option at this point is to compression test it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page