Tire Discoloration - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire Discoloration

I own a 07 with 4200 miles on it. I noticed that I have some blueish discoloration on the front and rear tires along the sides. It feels kind of slick to the touch. ive rode twisties on these tires and Ive only done one trackday on it and I know that I didnt push the tires anywhere near the limit. They are original stock tires, ive heard about tires sweating oils, but Im not totally sure what that entails, and I dont think that this is the case, yet it seems to have a blueish oily hue to it. is this a normal thing? Any help is appreciated

07 CBR600RR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Demented

You overheated the tires, which will cause bluing to occur when the oils sweat out of the tire. You also have a lot of dry rotting that I can see on the front tire. Either you're running way too lose of tire pressures and overworking the tire, or the tires are old. Either way, the front is in need of replacement. What PSI are the tires at?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I normally have it around 32f 36r. Pressure too low causing overheating right? The tires are the original ones that i got when i bought the bike which was off a woman, who only put 300 miles on it in 2 years. So needless to say im due for some new tires next season?

07 CBR600RR

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Also seeing as how its sweating oil and it feels kinda slick, could that have lead to a prob had I got the bike leaned over too much?

07 CBR600RR

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Demented

Yes, too low of pressure will cause overheating. 32psi/36psi isn't bad, unless it's been getting colder out and you haven't adjusted the pressures for the temperature and riding on a track. Chances are those tires are 4 years old and should be replaced.

Edit: It will lead to a problem if you try riding above what the tires have to offer. With the minimal side wear and flat spots, it doesn't look like you lean the bike over much anyway. However, overheated, old, and dry rotting tires are not something you're going to want to be pushing on.

Last edited by Demented; 11-14-2010 at 03:12 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

thanks for the help. I already put the bike away for the winter so I have plenty of time to get some new tires slapped on.

07 CBR600RR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page