Some electrical issues: Fuel gauge, temp gauge, clock reseting - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some electrical issues: Fuel gauge, temp gauge, clock reseting

Just recently picked up my 05 600 and now I'm trying to figure out a few of the electrical problems that it's having. Top on my list, the temperature gauge, fan still turns on fine, but nothing displays in the cluster. Fuel gauge will just cycle through, and everytime you turn the key off and then on, the clock resets to 1:00.

Also, don't know if it's related at all, but as you can see in the video, left signal is always on, doesn't blink, right is always on if you signal that way, but will turn off when you push the switch in. I don't have my rear turn signals hooked up right now, so that might be the issue?

Last edited by Doug Funny; 11-17-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Fuel level sensor.
Check for an open circuit in the wire harness and the fuel level sensor. If this just happened and you just bought the bike I would bet it's bad fuel and you need a new sensor/fuel pump.

Read red/black wire and black/white wire for ohms. 11-13ohm full, 130-135 ohm empty. If you can't pull up and down on the floater in the tank then you have to remove it from the bottom of tank to test.

Check the signal wires to make sure everything is connected correctly, nothing is touching a ground where it shouldn't be. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
1. Check your fuses, there's a 10A that connects to your instruments to keep the clock memory. And this could also explain some of the other weirdness.
2. Ditto on the fuel gauge. Or, if the supply voltage is missing entirely it'll do that. Does your fuel pump turn on when you turn your key? You'll hear it whirring for a few seconds. Or, your bike won't start either.
3. Pop in your rear signals to see what happens.
If your instrument cluster is bad, it could explain some of this too. Your blinker behavior is strange, and the temp display is definitely an issue (your fan turns on via the instrument cluster, so we know it's at least getting the signal input), and the rest of this fits as well.
Otherwise somebody hacked up a bunch of wiring before you got it, which happens a lot.

Get a wiring diagram!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by z537z View Post
1. Check your fuses, there's a 10A that connects to your instruments to keep the clock memory. And this could also explain some of the other weirdness.
2. Ditto on the fuel gauge. Or, if the supply voltage is missing entirely it'll do that. Does your fuel pump turn on when you turn your key? You'll hear it whirring for a few seconds. Or, your bike won't start either.
3. Pop in your rear signals to see what happens.
If your instrument cluster is bad, it could explain some of this too. Your blinker behavior is strange, and the temp display is definitely an issue (your fan turns on via the instrument cluster, so we know it's at least getting the signal input), and the rest of this fits as well.
Otherwise somebody hacked up a bunch of wiring before you got it, which happens a lot.

Get a wiring diagram!
Nope, it doesn't! Fan is controlled by the ECU, ECT has two outputs, one goes to the gauges the other to the ecu...

I would be having a very close look at the front harness, and the inside of the gauges cause that is a very bizarre set of symptoms you have that would be simpler to explain by the presence of multiple failures, and most of the time when you have multiple failures they have a common cause.

Have a look at the circuit board in the gauges for corrosion, as I suspect this may be your issue, particularly if you live near the beach. Then check for damage to the harness and plugs, including the pins and ground points, you will find a big yellow box on the left hand side right near your seat - common problem but not likely in this case.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll be sure to check all these possible causes out and get back to yall to see what I find.

edit: and the bike starts and runs completely fine. I rode it home after I picked it up from DC the other day 3.5 hours.

Last edited by Doug Funny; 11-18-2010 at 12:46 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
He's right! It's the ECU, not the instrument cluster. I forgotted.

So hopefully it's just a fuse.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by z537z View Post
He's right! It's the ECU, not the instrument cluster. I forgotted.

So hopefully it's just a fuse.
IMO symptoms are just a little to strange for it to be a fuse (still worth looking at though) so I would say damage to harness or corrosion...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Might just be a bad cluster. Signs are that it's the cluster. The fuel gauge is metering correctly OHM at the wires. So if you can meter these connections you can see if that is the problem and get a new cluster to solve it..

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page