Leaking gas and oil!!?? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking gas and oil!!??

Went for a little ride today and when i got back i notice this mix of gas and oil on the left side of my bike. I pulled bike in garage and started tearing it down. The only spot i can find gas leaking is wear the fuel line conects to the fuel feed pipe, the o ring is bad there.
I cannot find wear the oil is coming from tho.
Any help?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 80 reviews
pictures of it torn down? (plastics off, gas tank off/lifted)

I see scuffs on the handle bar, has it been down recently. Anything changed, modified recently?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Demented

Have you done anything with the airbox and crank case vent tube? Has the bike been in a crash recently?

I have my money on the crank vent, which then raises questions to why you had all of that oil coming out, or the valve cover seal being broken or not put back on after some maintenance work.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyychild View Post
pictures of it torn down? (plastics off, gas tank off/lifted)

I see scuffs on the handle bar, has it been down recently. Anything changed, modified recently?
Ill try and get pics up as soon as i can of it striped. I have never had the bike down at all. The guy i got it from said the bike rolled forward off the kick stand one time and landed on left side but thats it. No major damage that i can see. And no, i haven't made any mod's at all to the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Have you done anything with the airbox and crank case vent tube? Has the bike been in a crash recently?

I have my money on the crank vent, which then raises questions to why you had all of that oil coming out, or the valve cover seal being broken or not put back on after some maintenance work.
Wear does the crank case vent tube run? Theres a tube that i found at the front of the air box. I found a little bit of a milkey liquid siting up by that tube, and almost looked like it had sprayed up on the bottom side of the airbox cover.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerber100 View Post
Wear does the crank case vent tube run? Theres a tube that i found at the front of the air box. I found a little bit of a milkey liquid siting up by that tube, and almost looked like it had sprayed up on the bottom side of the airbox cover.
That would probably be from the crank case vent. It's on the top of the engine (valve cover) with one of those black hoses attached.

Might be a good idea to drain your oil and check the coolant, because if you say you saw milky liquid, that's a good indication that you blew a head gasket. If you find milky oil coming out, or even coolant/water in the oil, or oil in the coolant, you are likely to have a blown head gasket.

Either way, DO NOT ride the bike until you fix it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
That would probably be from the crank case vent. It's on the top of the engine (valve cover) with one of those black hoses attached.

Might be a good idea to drain your oil and check the coolant, because if you say you saw milky liquid, that's a good indication that you blew a head gasket. If you find milky oil coming out, or even coolant/water in the oil, or oil in the coolant, you are likely to have a blown head gasket.

Either way, DO NOT ride the bike until you fix it.

OOO man thats not good! i hope thats not it but i will for shor follow your addvice and drain oil tomorow.
Thanks for the help! I realy appreciate it!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ok, so i had like a thinking spasm today while working on the bike...
i was looking at the wireing harness and how the gas ate the tape up prety good in some spots, and i remeber, when i first saw the mess on the side of the bike, the spots on the fairings wer black, and was a little sticky.....
I know, this may sound crazy, but what if my bike realy isnt leaking oil... what if, when the gas was leaking, and eating some of the tape away, if it was realy just tape juice running down the bike...

what are your opinions on this??

thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerber100 View Post
ok, so i had like a thinking spasm today while working on the bike...
i was looking at the wireing harness and how the gas ate the tape up prety good in some spots, and i remeber, when i first saw the mess on the side of the bike, the spots on the fairings wer black, and was a little sticky.....
I know, this may sound crazy, but what if my bike realy isnt leaking oil... what if, when the gas was leaking, and eating some of the tape away, if it was realy just tape juice running down the bike...

what are your opinions on this??

thanks!
I think you just found the answer. If we were to see the bike torn down, and the corroded areas of the harness tape, sounds like it would probably line up with the pictured leaking.

Good job man.

So from the sound of it, seems like the prev owner did not properly torque the hose connections. I remember torquing mine to **** under the tank, and just lining up the painted marks on the injectors. Just be sure to use the proper crush washers.

You said the o-ring went bad, but I do not recall an o-ring in the fuel system (other than the ones built into the fuel line terminals).

Was there a crush washer under your tank?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWakeskater View Post
I think you just found the answer. If we were to see the bike torn down, and the corroded areas of the harness tape, sounds like it would probably line up with the pictured leaking.

Good job man.

So from the sound of it, seems like the prev owner did not properly torque the hose connections. I remember torquing mine to **** under the tank, and just lining up the painted marks on the injectors. Just be sure to use the proper crush washers.

You said the o-ring went bad, but I do not recall an o-ring in the fuel system (other than the ones built into the fuel line terminals).

Was there a crush washer under your tank?
The leak was on the fuel feed pipe, wear the fuel feed hose conects to it. The o ring had a chunk missing out of it. I replaced that o ring, turned the key, and just get the switch to see if any gas leaked out (this is how i found the leak) and no gas came out..yet. But thats the only leak ive found and prety sure thats the only one, but im still checking.

Hears the microfiech of the fueal feed pipe, figure 19. the fuel feed hose conects right wear the F-14 is.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...2056#sch408876

Thanks for all guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page