Leaky brake reservoir. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaky brake reservoir.

So I bought a lightech res cover and I swear it leaks. Some brake fluid got on my puig screen and ate up some of the paint. Anyone else have this cap and run into the same issue? Only think I could think to do is remove this plasitc ring that was in the cap. Hate to think unwasted money on a cap that fails a very basic task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nope haven't had the issue but the cap needs to be airtight, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it sucks the moisture out of the air, after a while all that water is going to rust the inside of the brake system leading to failure.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Im not sure what the light tech MC cover looks light, but I had an issue and it ate my ram air cover paint including the tabs. I re-checked what might be the issue and the rubber seal wasn't on correctly. Make sure everything is in right and flush to make it air tight.

03' 600rr- sold
07' 600rr-
sold
05' 636- sold
Currently searching

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The cap is a tight as I can turn it. I haven't ridden it since i took out the plastic piece that came with the cap. I think maybe the "new spots" of brake fluid on my screen may have been there all long and i just never saw them. I that in incident where the cap wasn't on right and that blew most of the fluid onto the screen. Im gonna keep an eye on it, if it continues ill put the stock back on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

was your original reservoir cover or reservoir scratched or hit before you replaced it for another one?

if so, ANY cause of variation with the alignment will cause small gaps in between the cap and the reservoir and the bolts which will cause the break fluid to leak.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceof84 View Post
The cap is a tight as I can turn it. I haven't ridden it since i took out the plastic piece that came with the cap. I think maybe the "new spots" of brake fluid on my screen may have been there all long and i just never saw them. I that in incident where the cap wasn't on right and that blew most of the fluid onto the screen. Im gonna keep an eye on it, if it continues ill put the stock back on.
if it continues to leak, make sure you haven't overfilled the master cylinder reservoir with too much break fluid. it could be as simple as that. wipe everything off very well and tighten the cap back on.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
was your original reservoir cover or reservoir scratched or hit before you replaced it for another one?

if so, ANY cause of variation with the alignment will cause small gaps in between the cap and the reservoir and the bolts which will cause the break fluid to leak.
No it's never been damaged. Is it possible to overtighten the cap so much that the black float/seal gets creased? I the only difference between the oem cap and the lightech is that the lightech does twist down as much. It's wierd to think that it does work right , it's not
like lightech is cheap
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
if it continues to leak, make sure you haven't overfilled the master cylinder reservoir with too much break fluid. it could be as simple as that. wipe everything off very well and tighten the cap back on.
It's not overfilled. I drained the res so the level is between the high and low.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceof84 View Post
No it's never been damaged. Is it possible to overtighten the cap so much that the black float/seal gets creased? I the only difference between the oem cap and the lightech is that the lightech does twist down as much. It's wierd to think that it does work right , it's not
like lightech is cheap
chances are, it's not the cap you bought, something went wrong during the assembly perhaps.

it's hard to tell when you can't see it, but everything needs to be aligned perfectly. the only other thing I can think of for the time being, is lossening the brake reservoir and sliding it to a more upright position so it's perfectly level and flat. are you sure you didn't cross the threading while putting it on? and where exaclty is it leaking from?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
chances are, it's not the cap you bought, something went wrong during the assembly perhaps.

it's hard to tell when you can't see it, but everything needs to be aligned perfectly. the only other thing I can think of for the time being, is lossening the brake reservoir and sliding it to a more upright position so it's perfectly level and flat. are you sure you didn't cross the threading while putting it on? and where exaclty is it leaking from?
I'm pretty sure it's not cross threaded. The seal sits flush to the eye. I think I'm a bit paranoid at this point.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

no reason to get paranoid, it's not a big deal.

did you ever see it actually leak? if so, from where.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
no reason to get paranoid, it's not a big deal.

did you ever see it actually leak? if so, from where.
no just little dots of fluid, I guess the wind blew it upward on to the screen. I can see where they land because it chews through the black paint.

Last edited by aceof84; 12-04-2010 at 09:44 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

the paint on the master cylinder will get striped right off from break fluid unless it's completely wiped up quickly.

I've come to the conclusion that if you put your stock reservoir cover on and it stops leaking, then yeah, it might be your aftermarket one that just doesn't fit right. if you find that it's now leaking with your stock cap on, you know that something has went wrong with your installation. if that's the case, posting pictures may be a good idea so we can help diagnose the problem for you.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So I did a little experiment. I rubberbanded a papertowel to the res and rode home from work and I could
not find any sign fluid on the towel. I doubt it dried while riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page