Engine stalls while riding (random) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine stalls while riding (random)

Hello,

I have browsed these forums and tried what others have done and it still stalls...

I have an 05 600rr with 32k on it, has NO performance modifications fully stock exhaust, no PCIII, stock sprocket etc... I have integrated blinkers in the tail light (with relays) and flushmounts in the front. everything else is stock...

I don't do wheelies, I get into corners at about 100+ sometimes but really... thats what it's designed for so I wouldnt say that's really beating it.

Had this issue for about 2-3 months now...

I will be riding and randomly without any prior symptoms or bumps in the road and the motor cuts out. (oil light comes on but I have plenty and freshly changed) clock and trips all stay correct.

I pull the clutch in and let it out and it starts right back up. (this has happened going 5, 40, 65 and once at 80mph going around a corner and about put me down...)

One thing that happens every time it dies while riding is...

Once it starts back up when I come to a stop and pull the clutch in, the bike drops down to idle at 1.5 like normal then clicks off. It does this every time once the bike had died while riding.

I have let it idle for over and hour sitting in one spot and it never died...

I have taken apart and cleaned the kickstand switch and even kept the switch detached and zip tied to disengaged so it does not move from being set to up.

This is random and I do not think anything to do with temperature... last week it happened after riding for 30 minutes under 40 miles total... two weeks ago I rode 180 miles with only one stop and the bike never died...

thoughts?

Based on friends opinions and shops i have called....

Ignition Coils
Wiring Harness
Bad/dirty injectors
Stator
Kickstand and/or kill switch
Ground

I have checked and lubricated and verified everything on the wiring harness, checked all fuses, checked battery connections, checked all ground wires and have ran at least 20 takes of gas through it since this issue started.

when the bike is running it runs perfect and strong.
BryanFindell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
 
tripage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: orlando
Posts: 14,330
Thanks: 598
Thanked 728 Times in 591 Posts
Feedback Score: 91 reviews
When the bike dies does your tach sweep again or just turn off and the oil light comes on?
This will tell if it's cycling power. "kill switch,key"
does it always die when you are off throttle or is this part random as well?
Bike starts fine?
Even after the bike is warmed up 200+ you can turn it off and start it right back up?




http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
tripage is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
stex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hempstead (Hofstra U) NY
Posts: 1,991
Images: 12
Thanks: 13
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my friend had the same problem, riding riding and the bike shuts off on its own when it feels like. we figured out the battery wasnt connected tight so we fixed it up and no problem since.... and im talking about the F2


cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low
CRG Adjustable Levers (Gray)

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
4. I believe you are born with the motorcycle fever in your blood
stex is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 442
Images: 1
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey mate, is this still happening to you? If not what was the problem in the end? I've got essentially the same problem at the moment. I think it is my alternator as my voltage readings are b/w 12.4 and 13.9 when the bike is off, on, idle and on revving in neutral.

Anyways would be interested in finding out what was causing your problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanFindell View Post
Hello,

I have browsed these forums and tried what others have done and it still stalls...

I have an 05 600rr with 32k on it, has NO performance modifications fully stock exhaust, no PCIII, stock sprocket etc... I have integrated blinkers in the tail light (with relays) and flushmounts in the front. everything else is stock...

I don't do wheelies, I get into corners at about 100+ sometimes but really... thats what it's designed for so I wouldnt say that's really beating it.

Had this issue for about 2-3 months now...

I will be riding and randomly without any prior symptoms or bumps in the road and the motor cuts out. (oil light comes on but I have plenty and freshly changed) clock and trips all stay correct.

I pull the clutch in and let it out and it starts right back up. (this has happened going 5, 40, 65 and once at 80mph going around a corner and about put me down...)

One thing that happens every time it dies while riding is...

Once it starts back up when I come to a stop and pull the clutch in, the bike drops down to idle at 1.5 like normal then clicks off. It does this every time once the bike had died while riding.

I have let it idle for over and hour sitting in one spot and it never died...

I have taken apart and cleaned the kickstand switch and even kept the switch detached and zip tied to disengaged so it does not move from being set to up.

This is random and I do not think anything to do with temperature... last week it happened after riding for 30 minutes under 40 miles total... two weeks ago I rode 180 miles with only one stop and the bike never died...

thoughts?

Based on friends opinions and shops i have called....

Ignition Coils
Wiring Harness
Bad/dirty injectors
Stator
Kickstand and/or kill switch
Ground

I have checked and lubricated and verified everything on the wiring harness, checked all fuses, checked battery connections, checked all ground wires and have ran at least 20 takes of gas through it since this issue started.

when the bike is running it runs perfect and strong.
atrang is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Knee Dragger
 
DTMan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tulsa/Stillwater, OK
Posts: 167
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My '07 did this the other day =/ Im trying to be optimistic....
DTMan101 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
MikeyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,308
Thanks: 263
Thanked 263 Times in 203 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your battery is either toast, or loosely connected.
New battery and I bet I won't stall again.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
MikeyP is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 AM
Knee Dragger
 
DTMan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tulsa/Stillwater, OK
Posts: 167
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I thought the bike didnt need a battery to continue running? ie. push start

Any and all suggestions appreciated
DTMan101 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Knee Dragger
 
cRuNk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a similar problem on mine... started last year on a track day going full throttle down a straight. Bike showed FI and shut the engine off.... A quick turn of the ignition and it started back up so i thought maybe some loose wiring....

The problem got worse over time and it would shutoff a lot while riding on street too, almost every single bump meant shutoff.

Looking under the seat in the box where the fuses and relays are, well there was one labeled "engine shut-off" , quick look underneath it was all blue... replaced it with the Headlight relay till i got a new one.

Have a look at that
cRuNk is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 442
Images: 1
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMan101 View Post
My '07 did this the other day =/ Im trying to be optimistic....
Check your battery with a multimeter whilst the bike is off, on and revving above 5-6k rmp. SHould read b/w 12.4 and 13.9. If it goes above 14 then your reg/rec is gone and any more riding will wreck your electrical system.

Btw my voltages were after I got a new battery and after the problem occurred again after 3 days. My mechanic friend is picking up my bike tomorrow and will let me know what the problem is. I think I've just fried a $265AUD Yuasa battery, fark. I have a feeling my bike's problem is the stator/alternator rather than the regulator/rectifier.

Btw for those bikes 03-04 and from what I've read early 05, they all use the same regulator/rectifier which are more prone to dying due to heat (due to their location and lack of surrounding heat sheilding) so the remedy for a dead reg/rec is to by a late model 05 one. We'll see what is wrong with mine. ...
atrang is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrang View Post
Check your battery with a multimeter whilst the bike is off, on and revving above 5-6k rmp. SHould read b/w 12.4 and 13.9. If it goes above 14 then your reg/rec is gone and any more riding will wreck your electrical system.

Btw my voltages were after I got a new battery and after the problem occurred again after 3 days. My mechanic friend is picking up my bike tomorrow and will let me know what the problem is. I think I've just fried a $265AUD Yuasa battery, fark. I have a feeling my bike's problem is the stator/alternator rather than the regulator/rectifier.

Btw for those bikes 03-04 and from what I've read early 05, they all use the same regulator/rectifier which are more prone to dying due to heat (due to their location and lack of surrounding heat sheilding) so the remedy for a dead reg/rec is to by a late model 05 one. We'll see what is wrong with mine. ...
To put it bluntly (but I'm not trying to be rude)

Your wrong.

At 5-6k rpm with the highbeam on you want the voltage to be below 15.5V, anything higher than that and your risking damage to your electrical system and turning your battery into a time bomb ready to take your balls off.

Overcharging a battery will cause it to overheat and normally the pressure relief valve will blow steam and acid vapour out of the battery and it will whistle however it is not uncommon for large amounts of hydrogen to be released at the same time and then all it takes is a spark.

From experience:
You should expect an optimum charging voltage of ~14.4V
A no-load perfect battery should read 13.2V, however 12.8V is more realistic. IMO anything lower than 13.2V on the charging system is bad, and anything lower than 12.2V on the battery is bad.

You are however spot on about the crappy 03-04 rr, get a late 05 or an 06 one when the original one fails.
Nico is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yo dude, I had the same problem, but mine was because the dealer didn't tighten the Alarm wire in the ignition switch. I had the Scorpion i900. Got that fixed and never happened again, electrical is a pain in the @$$
kickarsmann is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Knee Dragger
 
DTMan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tulsa/Stillwater, OK
Posts: 167
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
To put it bluntly (but I'm not trying to be rude)

Your wrong.

At 5-6k rpm with the highbeam on you want the voltage to be below 15.5V, anything higher than that and your risking damage to your electrical system and turning your battery into a time bomb ready to take your balls off.

Overcharging a battery will cause it to overheat and normally the pressure relief valve will blow steam and acid vapour out of the battery and it will whistle however it is not uncommon for large amounts of hydrogen to be released at the same time and then all it takes is a spark.

From experience:
You should expect an optimum charging voltage of ~14.4V
A no-load perfect battery should read 13.2V, however 12.8V is more realistic. IMO anything lower than 13.2V on the charging system is bad, and anything lower than 12.2V on the battery is bad.

You are however spot on about the crappy 03-04 rr, get a late 05 or an 06 one when the original one fails.
Ill check it this weekend and post my findings. Thanks guys
DTMan101 is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Knee Dragger
 
DTMan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tulsa/Stillwater, OK
Posts: 167
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Looking under the seat in the box where the fuses and relays are, well there was one labeled "engine shut-off" , quick look underneath it was all blue... replaced it with the Headlight relay till i got a new one.

Have a look at that
Definatly gonna take a peek at this first. HOPEFULLY my case is as simple as that.
DTMan101 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Knee Dragger
 
Romoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 199
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey man, I had a similar problem after I washed my bike one day.

What it ended up being was that the ground bolt wasn't tightened all the way, that way when you hit a bump or something, everything cuts out. But almost at random.

Check your ground, it's on the left side.

Good luck bro!
Romoko is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 442
Images: 1
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickarsmann View Post
Yo dude, I had the same problem, but mine was because the dealer didn't tighten the Alarm wire in the ignition switch. I had the Scorpion i900. Got that fixed and never happened again, electrical is a pain in the @$$
Damn I forgot to subscribe to this thread. Well I also have a Scorpio i900 alarm. I'm sure my mate would have checked that but maybe I'll specifically ask him to do it. Wish me luck!
atrang is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 442
Images: 1
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickarsmann View Post
Yo dude, I had the same problem, but mine was because the dealer didn't tighten the Alarm wire in the ignition switch. I had the Scorpion i900. Got that fixed and never happened again, electrical is a pain in the @$$
Dude, this was exactly my problem. My alarm wire came loose over time, I decided to take out the alarm and the bike has been runnning sweet ever since. Not sure if i want the alarm back as it makes me feel nervous and paranoid but loving having my bike up and running again!
atrang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome