Bent frame/forks/tripple? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Bent frame/forks/tripple?

Ok, so here's my situation. I have two 06 RRs, one is totally stock and the other is somewhat moded. The one that is somewhat moded (Jessica) was in a low side and got wedged under a guard rail after sliding a little bit on pavement. I was wearing my suit and full gear so I walked away just fine. Suit a little scuffed but nothing bad.

So, I finally got her running again after fixing the right case cover, radiator, clutch cable, rear sets and got some frame sliders which I should have had all along. I rode her for about 20 min and felt a little resistance when I was turning both left and right. Like she wanted to stand up on her own, even tho I was leaning. She rode straight and all, but this was just on cornering. Not really while turning from a stop but on the sweeping turns while at some speed.

I got on my stock RR and didn't feel the same thing. She went where I told her just fine and held there without much fuss.

I look at the forks and they dont appear to be bad at all, no cracks in the frame, however, there was a small scrapped area after the sliding. The clutch cable got caught between the frame and the pavement (see pic of damage). The scrape is very shallow tho. I am sure I could use some 120 grit sandpaper and some rattle can and you'd really need to know it was there to notice it.

My question is, how do shops like GMD Computrack and others test if the frame, forks or tripples are tweeked? Hooked up to a machine? Just eyeball it? Ride her and know from previous experience that she's not quite right?

Thanks!
Alan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You can pull the forks yourself and roll them on a flat, even surface to see if the are tweaked. The same way you check a cue stick on a pool table.
Once the forks are off you should be able to tell if the upper/lower triple are bent by looking at them. Since the triples are cast aluminum and the forks run inside them it would be difficult to bend them. They will usually fracture or break first.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Sounds easy and obvious enough....I play pool so that should be simple! Ill probably just rest the crankcase on some blocks since I only have a front stand that hooks on the axle area.

Now....if the frame is tweeked....that won't be as obvious? It's hard for me to believe that the frame could be tweeked after this. It has quite a bit of strength. But there's always that chance.

I'm bummed I cant do any of this yet as I am still on travel for stupid work. All I can do is think about it.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.

Last edited by Gashuffer; 12-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
If it was me, id take it in to be checked bro. But that's just me. Here's a vid that will show how they check a bike for damage after a crash..

http://www.onthethrottle.com/races/p...ame-measuring/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipDiver79 View Post
If it was me, id take it in to be checked bro. But that's just me. Here's a vid that will show how they check a bike for damage after a crash..

http://www.onthethrottle.com/races/p...ame-measuring/
Great link Flip. Very informative, considering I just lowsided 10 days ago.
Glad I already loosened the upper/lower triples. Def gonna check the front/rear axles, and possibly the motor mounts now as well.

OP, you may not want to do the ghetto method now, but at least it will give you an idea where your at. If the forks are straight it is unlikely there was any extreme force to the front.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Great link Flip. Very informative, considering I just lowsided 10 days ago.
Glad I already loosened the upper/lower triples. Def gonna check the front/rear axles, and possibly the motor mounts now as well.

OP, you may not want to do the ghetto method now, but at least it will give you an idea where your at. If the forks are straight it is unlikely there was any extreme force to the front.
No worries bro. Hope your ok. bikes can be fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Im going to check it out first myself. The smaller pieces don't frighten me. I can take the front apart pretty easily. What scares me is if those pieces all look good and I put her back together and she still feels the same. Then it's probably the frame.

Any suggestions on shops in SoCal that may do this? With a good reputation...seeing as I do hope get on her at the track one day and don't want to wreck because someone just said she's good to get a few bucks from me.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Oh I'm still going to check her out. I enjoy doing it anyway. It is kinda what I went to school for anyway. Ghetto way will atleast give me a good starting point.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
check the easiest explainations first.

check your tire pressure

check your fork height

check damper (if there is one)

if your bike rides straight, and if it only went under a guardrail, it shouldnt be tweaked
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWakeskater View Post
check the easiest explainations first.

check your tire pressure

check your fork height

check damper (if there is one)

if your bike rides straight, and if it only went under a guardrail, it shouldnt be tweaked
Removing my damper is one thing I didnt have time to check before I had to bail for a work trip. I am def going to check that when I get home on saturday. I will also probably do what that video said and loosen up the whole front end to hopefully have it straighten itself out, if it is slightly out of alignment.

I need to put new tires on it anyway, so removing the front and rear is going to be part of my usual maintenance anyway. Loosening the front end is just another step.

I will keep this updated tho.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trackoholics in oceanside ca. they are awesome. Shawn is extremely knowledgeable and has very fair prices.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Got everything taken apart when I got home today. Triple has no cracks and isn't. I would assume the triple would break prior to the frame. At least in the way Jessica hit. The forks also seem to be true to my calibrated eyeball. There was some dirt and gunk (technical term) in between the forks and the triple clamps. I cleaned all that up and will probably try to give her a ride tomorrow if it's not raining.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

A couple pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page