Leaking Green Liquid? What The EFF! (pics) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking Green Liquid? What The EFF! (pics)

Heres the problem. I havent checked on my bike sitting tucked in the garage for about a month now. I went out there today and WTF! Theres green liquid underneath the bike! I looked at the bottom of the bike but couldnt tell where it was coming from, so im hoping you will all know the problem just from the pics of the liquid. >.<

Its green (obviously). I got the bike last summer and its my first bike, so bear with me as I'm pretty nubbish at this. Any help?

If you need any more pics of the area or the underside of the bike just ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	18093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0131.jpg
Views:	1580
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	18094  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Knee Dragger

leaking coolant?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I want to say Anti-freeze. Although I'm no mechanic and I'm also colorblind so its a bit of a swing in the dark.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thats sorta what I was thinking. Know where the coolant and/or anti-freeze would be leaking from by any chance? Id prefer not to drive her, but the snow is melted off the roads so a trip to the local dealership isnt entirely out of the question.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that is definitly coolant. take off the right side lower, check the over flow bottle, the radiator, and the hoses.

Last edited by oakasrtheshiz; 12-08-2010 at 05:29 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Check your coolant reservoir for overflow. If the coolant reservoir is full it would leak out of the coolant reservoir overflow tube. That is next to your kickstand.
coolant reservoir is on the right side if your on the bike under the lower fairing.

If it not coming for the overflow tube. More then likely you have a bad o-ring on the thermostat housing.
I had is issues after I left my bike in the cold but you need to inspect it and find out where its coming form.

Last edited by LonelyRR; 12-08-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: error
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Knee Dragger

well first step would be to look at your radiator and see if thats your problem. than id start by checking the line that connects to your reserve to your radiator. its the top line than starts right under your radaitor cap and runs down to ur reserve tank
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyRR View Post
Check your coolant reservoir for overflow. If the coolant reservoir is full it would leak out of the coolant reservoir overflow tube. Thats is next to your kickstand.
coolant reservoir is on the left side if your on the bike under the lower fairing.
i dont know what year your bike is but if it is 07+ this is wrong, it is on the right side (brake side)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakasrtheshiz View Post
i dont know what year your bike is but if it is 07+ this is wrong, it is on the right side (brake side)
oops my bad got my left and right mix up. All years are on the right side

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

thats a lot of coolant to leak out the overflow bottle...check your thermostat, your hoses and radiator for any leaks.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
id say you might have a rat, bro,

check your hoses

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Whore

If not a rat you might just have a prankster pouring coolant on the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rizzo- View Post
TD = track day. Jesus I'm stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullast View Post
cbr604, you're a douche. NOBODY said anything offensive or disrespectful and you come off with blatent ignorance. Don't kill yourself on your bike. Spare the machine. Its obvious you're a wanna be E-Thug. Your mother should have swallowed you.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
fall down 7times get up 8

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3pl4y View Post
Thats sorta what I was thinking. Know where the coolant and/or anti-freeze would be leaking from by any chance? Id prefer not to drive her, but the snow is melted off the roads so a trip to the local dealership isnt entirely out of the question.
your answer might be right there
how cold did your bike get when it was snowing? ie. inside warm well insulated garage or just normal garage that dropped to very low temps? might have expanded & broken a gasket @ the least. or you have loose hose w/the fluid cooling system

for your sake i hope it's not the case, but a lot of peeps find out this way that they didn't have enough antifreeze or something that would protect your bike down to the temps. it may have been exposed to.

not a mechanic but been riding for over 20 yrs.
that's my best guess

race/ride support 2004 & beyond

"fall down seven times, get up eight"

" can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down....."

Last edited by redridinghood11; 12-08-2010 at 05:42 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Pocketbike Racer

eww ee. def check your thermostat.along with getting a flashlight and looking for any dryrot or holes.

Jardine RT1 Carbon Fiber
Power Commander PC lll
GPR V4 Stabilizer
Spiegler Brake Lines
Pilot Power 2CT Tires
Carbone Lorraine Pads
Carbon Fiber Mirrors
Blacked-out Hot Bodies Flush Mounts
Vortex Spools/Bar Ends
Vortex Front and Rear Stands
4500K HID Kit
Black Bolts
Fender Eliminator Kit
Black Puig Windscreen
Pro Grip Tank Protector
BMC Filter
Solo Seat Cowel
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

It definitely looks like coolant. Some synth oils are green in colour but that looks a tad thin to be oil. When was the last time your coolant was changed? Has your bike been running at a high operating temperature lately?

Either way, and as others have said, check the following:
- Coolant overflow bottle level and overflow hose for moisture (this will give you an idea of whether it's just been some overflow).
- Radiator and coolant hoses for leaks, tears or loose connections

If it's been particularly cold and your anti-freeze mixture isn't strong enough then this may have caused a burst pipe or radiator. Before the really cold weather comes, it's essential to at least check your coolant mixture. Some people, if not using their bike, will empty the coolant out completely to prevent this type of thing happening an just fill it up when they start to use the bike again.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Training Wheel Hero

they make dyes you can put in your radiator and you can locate the leak pretty easy. just follow the dye. had to do this in cars numerous times.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
oi yoi yoi guys... slow down...!

Your very first thing to do when looking for a leak source is to trace it. taking off the fairings was on the right track to finding it.

Let the man tell you where it's coming from before you start whooping and hollering about stuff, ok? please?

ccs907
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
oi yoi yoi guys... slow down...!

Your very first thing to do when looking for a leak source is to trace it. taking off the fairings was on the right track to finding it.

Let the man tell you where it's coming from before you start whooping and hollering about stuff, ok? please?
He doesn't even know where to look for signs of a leak though. We are telling him where to look and asking pertinent questions. The only whooping and hollering going on here has been caused by the ants that you somehow got in your pants.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
If he can't follow a simple trail of coolant and look for hanging droplets of something and tell us, it's coming from HERE... just relax. let him come to us with info before we start pouring on the what ifs.

ccs907
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Whatever man. I think it's kind of insulting the intelligence of the op to suggest that he noticed a pool of fluid under his bike and didn't immediately think to find out where it's coming from. He came here to find out where to look because he didn't know what it was or where it was coming from.

He also told us that it has been snowing. If he's in the UK, where it has been snowing a lot recently and temps have been as low as -15c, then it's entirely possible that his fluid might have frozen and caused something to burst or crack.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
-15 is not cold enough to FREEZE a 50/50 coolant. not even close. i should know, it's been colder than that here this week, and ever winter i've ever experienced for the last 28 years of my life.

furthermore, you're saying he came here to find out where to look. wouldn't he look where it dropped from, given the intelligence of the man? If he didn't look directly under where it fell, why would we even begin to suggest places for him to inspect? seems like we overload the user with suggestions without giving much thought to the problem.

again, let him come to us with where it's coming from. chances are if either yours or my cases are right, he's not going to know where anything is anyway...

ccs907
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
-15 is not cold enough to FREEZE a 50/50 coolant. not even close. i should know, it's been colder than that here this week, and ever winter i've ever experienced for the last 28 years of my life.
You're assuming it's a perfect 50/50 mix which, granted, will not freeze at -15c. If it's diluted with say water (or even pure anti freeze), which people often incorrectly use to top up their cooling system, then it's entirely possible. One person at my work last week has already had their coolant freeze.

Quote:
furthermore, you're saying he came here to find out where to look. wouldn't he look where it dropped from, given the intelligence of the man? If he didn't look directly under where it fell, why would we even begin to suggest places for him to inspect? seems like we overload the user with suggestions without giving much thought to the problem.
It looked like coolant in the pic. It was suggested that he check the cooling system for leaks. Further information was provided that one root cause of leaks at this time of year, in cold weather, is frozen mixture. All seems completely relevant to me.

There's nothing wrong with suggestions but that's all they are. Nobody, for one minute, is proclaiming that they have the definitive answer to his problem without more information.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
1: He lives in Idaho

2: it is +1C in Idaho RIGHT NOW.

3: off the shelf 50/50 is good to -37C. even if imperfect, it's not going to stray to far from this to be a worry.

4: Please stop being so argumentative.

5: Be Patient, please.

----------------------------------

R3pl4y, have you had a chance to look under/behind the fairings?

ccs907
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
thats definitely bike blood. they bleed when you dont pamper them enough. look what you did
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
4: Please stop being so argumentative.
I'm not the one that came in with the inflammatory comments pal. I have no interest in arguing. I bow to you as the king of cool

Last edited by Sun-Zoom-Spark; 12-08-2010 at 09:58 PM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr3 View Post
I'm not the one that came in with the inflammatory comments pal. I have no interest in arguing.
then we're done talking to each other.

ccs907
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Back on topic.....

That is coolant mate, as has been said pull your fairing off and have a look for where it is coming from, but I don't think that its likely to be from your overflow, water is at it's densest at around 0-5 degrees celsius and it would have to drop a fair bit below that to expand enough to come out the overflow. The exception to this is if it has frozen, at that point the water molecules will rearrange themselves and cause it to expand a significant amount. It's much more likely to be from a leaking hose / gasket IMO
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
fall down 7times get up 8

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
hey that guy.......
this person clearly doesn't know what to do. why not tell him worst case scenario, then go from there. obviously removing the bodywork should reveal something; yet he didn't know to do something that minimal. chances are, he also doesn't know how to properly maintain his bike or know about what happens w/out proper fluid mixture. ie. if indeed it was more water than anti freeze, then that's the most logical conclusion. expansion from the water

no disrespect intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Back on topic.....

That is coolant mate, as has been said pull your fairing off and have a look for where it is coming from, but I don't think that its likely to be from your overflow, water is at it's densest at around 0-5 degrees celsius and it would have to drop a fair bit below that to expand enough to come out the overflow. The exception to this is if it has frozen, at that point the water molecules will rearrange themselves and cause it to expand a significant amount. It's much more likely to be from a leaking hose / gasket IMO
hey now? you're using too much common sense..... ha

hoping it's a hose or loose connection for R3pl4ys' sake

have used engine ice for years w/great results. as long as it's legal w/your local trackday/race organization
pre mixed & if you only ride on the street then get a gallon. it's about 20$ & can stand temps as low as -27
http://engineice.com/

race/ride support 2004 & beyond

"fall down seven times, get up eight"

" can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down....."

Last edited by redridinghood11; 12-09-2010 at 01:00 PM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
sorry if it seems i don't want to find out what the problem is before i start guessing and worrying the poor boy to death that he bought himself a lemon. i work forwards, not backwards.

ccs907
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Whoa, this topic totally blew up in my face overnight! Haha.

No offense taken, ill be the first to admit im a total noob when it comes to bikes. This is finals week for me so ive been too swamped to take off the bodywork and look around yet, but im hoping to do that this afternoon. I dont mind all the speculation at all.

I did take an LED flashlight and look around without taking off the bodywork to see if I could see where it was all coming from, but I couldnt see anything. Its not a steady drip or anything as I didnt see any fluid at all when I was looking around, and its taken about a month to get this far. Its gotten pretty cold here, but the worst its gotten was like -5 f at night. The bike is in a normal garage that isnt climate controlled or anything unfortunately.

Im going to do some thorough looking around in a few hours when I get home from class, and ill update when I do. I havent messed with the coolant since I got it btw, and the bike is originally from northern Utah which gets as cold as here during the winter I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page