hibeam light not working! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation hibeam light not working!

hey i have a 2006 honda cbr 600 rr and the highbeam light is working great but the low beam light is not working. i changed the bulb but still dont get anything. the bulb is definetly good as well as the fuses, and i have never had issues with the wiring harness, everything else down to the signal lights and horn work perfectly, any ideas what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sounds like a short somewhere.

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
"Ambition is just a poor excuse for people to not have enough sense to be lazy..."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

short

where would the short be? how would i test for that? can you be more specific?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 PM
World Superbike Racer

i would just look over the wiring from the bulb to the fuse box and see if there is anything spliced open or cut.

As for the short in the wires, maybe something you can not see. I know of machines that can plug into the wires and test for shorts or connectivity. I dont know what they are called or where you can find them...

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
"Ambition is just a poor excuse for people to not have enough sense to be lazy..."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Angry

Not very helpful!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Training Wheel Hero

does the indicator for the high beam come on when you toggle it on?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yes the indicator turns on when i put the highbeam switch on, so what could it be?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

hibeam light not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etaent View Post
hey i have a 2006 honda cbr 600 rr and the highbeam light is working great but the low beam light is not working. i changed the bulb but still dont get anything. the bulb is definetly good as well as the fuses, and i have never had issues with the wiring harness, everything else down to the signal lights and horn work perfectly, any ideas what it could be?
just to clarify, it is the high beam or low beam?

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Yes the indicator turns on when i put the highbeam switch on, so what could it be?
check this out
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

could be loose wiring or clip inside the headlamp housing too

Last edited by 1337RR; 12-10-2010 at 07:38 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It's the highbeam that isn't working
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds like the relay. or a lose wire. you cna bypass the relay using a jumper wire. you will need a wiring diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i found one for my f4i using yahoo search.

try here:

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Not very helpful!
That's because he doesn't know what he's talking about. (no offence intended bwolfe)

What you need to find is the OPEN circuit (ie broken wire)

First thing you should get is a multimeter, this is "that machine" you use for finding electrical faults, and they are cheap.

Have a look at the two plugs on the left hand side of your bike under the ram air covers, make sure there is no corrosion in them.

Next have a look at the high beam relay, you will find it between the headlights and you will need to pull the front fairing off to get at it.
Swap it with your fan control relay and see if your high beams work, if they do then you have found your problem.

Other things to look are are damage to the wiring harness, faulty switch and corrosion.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
That's because he doesn't know what he's talking about. (no offence intended bwolfe)

What you need to find is the OPEN circuit (ie broken wire)

First thing you should get is a multimeter, this is "that machine" you use for finding electrical faults, and they are cheap.

Have a look at the two plugs on the left hand side of your bike under the ram air covers, make sure there is no corrosion in them.

Next have a look at the high beam relay, you will find it between the headlights and you will need to pull the front fairing off to get at it.
Swap it with your fan control relay and see if your high beams work, if they do then you have found your problem.

Other things to look are are damage to the wiring harness, faulty switch and corrosion.
well first off, thanks Nico! I do know what a multimete is. I am not talking about a multimeter. That would be something i would be talking about if he was looking for a required voltage or maybe continuity. I am not talking aout him looking for voltage. I once had a short in my headlight assembly for my truck. I took my truck to the dealer and they plugged my light housing adapter into a machine. The machine checked my wires for frays, or shorts within the wire itself (under the shielding) and at the connectors. It couldn't tell me where the fault was, all it could tell me was that there was a short somewhere. I just bought a new wiring harness and it worked fine.

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfe84 View Post
well first off, thanks Nico! I do know what a multimeter is. I am not talking about a multimeter. That would be something i would be talking about if he was looking for a required voltage or maybe continuity. I am not talking aout him looking for voltage. I once had a short in my headlight assembly for my truck. I took my truck to the dealer and they plugged my light housing adapter into a machine. The machine checked my wires for frays, or shorts within the wire itself (under the shielding) and at the connectors. It couldn't tell me where the fault was, all it could tell me was that there was a short somewhere. I just bought a new wiring harness and it worked fine.
Ok, now I know what machine your talking about - its called a time domain reflectometer... and you probably don't want to go buy one cause they aint cheap!

And I'm pretty sure you have open and short confused...

'Short' is a term used to describe a condition where two or more conductors are (normally) inadvertently connected together, such as when a wire is rubbing up against your frame, the insulation wears through and the wire becomes electrically connected to the frame. This is normally described as 'shorted to ground'

'Open' is used where a conductor has broken, or developed high resistance, such as when a wire is stretched and the conductor breaks, however the insulation may or may not. An open circuit can be described as not having continuity.

But yes, a TDR will check for open, short and impedance issues within a conductor, and tell you how far from the instrument they are.

You can do almost the same job that a TDR can do with a multimeter, it just takes a lot longer :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page