My new bike won't start :( help! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My new bike won't start :( help!

Ok this is my 2nd post so forgive me if i'm not posting in the right section
but here it is:

I bought an 05 CBR600RR saturday.

It ran when I bought it because I made my friend test it out it ran after i brought it home 208 miles later because I let my friends and family listen to it.

The next day which was sunday I went to turn it on and it started for like 10 seconds, I gave it a quick rev to hear her beautiful pur and then she died.

Next I tried to rep. start it back up and it would not start up, the fuel pump comes on the lights come on and all electrical stuff comes on -

I Have no idea about fuel injected bikes or bikes in general I only know about carb. fourwheelers and dirtbikes so this is a whole new world to me i haven't even rode it yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. & before anyone says to read the forums i have read a majority of the same problem as i had but there lights wouldn't come on and mine will

I checked the "BAS" or the thing between the headlights and it was plugged in - I don't know where to look for anything else, seeing as how i don't know anything about this bike yet.

Thank you very much for taking the time out to read my long rant! & for any help you may provide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	18190  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im only saying this because you said you dont know anything about bikes.

but did you check your thumb switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thumb Switch??
I checked the kill switch and turned it to both positions & everytime i pressed the on button it just turns over constantly it's the feelings you get when you need to choke something with a carb.. it just constantly turns over and doesn't start

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 AM
World Superbike Racer

If you are sure it's not the emergency/kill switch, then keep checking other "basic" items since you are new to bikes.

Are you trying to start it in neutral ? Are you holding the clutch lever in ? Or, is the bike in gear when you at trying to start it? Is the kickstand in the down position ?

Is the battery still good (holds a charge? connections tight? grounds good?) and lastly, is there still plenty of fuel left in the tank ?

Never hurts to rule out the "easy stuff" first...

Also, have you tried holding the throttle wide open while trying to start it ?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Out of gas? Are you in gear with the sidestand down? It won't start like that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the kickstand is down but it is in neutral, it has 2 bars of gas, the battery is still good it has real good power till i try to start it about 20 times then it goes dead and i have to recharge it and start back from square one..

Only thing i done is put some fuel stabil in the gas tank would that have messed up the fuel injectors or anything? i have no idea about this so please don't think thats a stupid question lol

could it be the spark plugs??? or something else that won't let it ignite or something thats depriving it of fuel? or maybe where the fuel pump has kicked on so many times i've flooded it??
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieg View Post
the kickstand is down but it is in neutral
Put the kickstand up and pull the clutch in. The bike might not be recognizing that it is in neutral. A little farfetched, but simple enough to try.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i just got home from work and went to my garage and did that and it doesn't work. i sit on the bike put the kick stand up and held the clutch in

it acts like it isnt getting gas or it's flooded it almost started today but...it didn't.. so i don't know
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ok...

1) the gas guage is often off by a bit, some times a lot (i have a flashing bar, and only fit 3 gallons in before im over flowing...), so make sure you do in deed have gas

2) if its trying to start, but acting flooded, do this, get the bike ready to start, hold throttle WIDE OPEN, and press the starter

let off as soon as she fires, this is how you clear a flooded FI bike motor.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

everyones pretty much gone over everything...I had the problem with the kill switch ones.....Just wanna say good luck man

Looking for the best parts to make my 600 look Clean not cheap! If you know any let me know please
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Training Wheel Hero

It is only one of two things electric or fuel. If you have gone through everything and have checked all the basics you will have to get deeper into it.

Do you smell gas out the exhaust? If you do then it is getting fuel through the injectors. If trying to relieve the flooding by holding the throttle wide open and it still doesn`t start it is electrical. Look for spark.

Once you get beyond the basics make sure your 100% sure you want to go further without the help of a shop. You will have to start disassembling the bike to go further. Do you have a service manual?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I've not noticed the smell of gas, haven't paid attention to that, i will tomorrow when i get home from work, i'm going to try holding it wide open to clear it like someone suggest if that doesn't work then idkwtftodo lol where at the spark plugs located at incase i want to change them?

after my bike wouldn't start i decided to take my fairings off.. anything else i should do to it while everything is pretty much accessible? ( I took them off so i could polish on her, my garage isn't heated so its like 20 degrees in it)

Free bike to a loving home. haha..
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Moto GP Racer

Getting to the spark plugs is a pain. It involves dropping the radiator out of the way at which point you can try to squeeze up under and behind the frame to pop the caps off. Then you'll need a socket with an extension as the plugs are a good 4-6" (if I recall correctly) down into the block.

Try everything else first. Add gas, check battery (try jumping it if you need to), check fuses, etc. Doesn't sound like a kill switch issue if your fuel pump is priming.

What's the mileage on your bike? Coincidentally, both my friend and I had a similar issue at the same time when our 05 and 06 CBRs hit right around 10,000 miles. Ended up being fouled plugs. Cleaned the plugs up, put them back in and it fixed the problem.
Odd since both bikes were babied, well-maintained, and had run high quality pump gas from day one.

Good luck.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Did the fuel pump prime? Do you here the whine when you turn you run/stop and ignition key on? It may have started the first time because there was still pressure in your fuel lines before the pump shut off.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

let's get back to basics....

it is that cold out and do you know when the battery was last replaced? my guess is ur battery is shot. even w/ a low battery the bike can attempt to crank but wont turn over.

i am thinking this may be the case especially since how many times you have tried to start the bike as of late.

2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR
Purchased 10/25/2008, Totaled 10/28/2008 by the dealer
New 2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR....delivered 10/30/2008
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms231 View Post
let's get back to basics....

it is that cold out and do you know when the battery was last replaced? my guess is ur battery is shot. even w/ a low battery the bike can attempt to crank but wont turn over.

i am thinking this may be the case especially since how many times you have tried to start the bike as of late.
he said it did start then died

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofiep007 View Post

True I read that but I am thinking of how crazy cars w/ dead batteries can be. Granted, a bike is not a car. I have had two faulty car batteries in my life that wouldnt hold a charge. Car started. Drove down the street. Died.

At very least, it is worth throwing it on a tender or getting the battery tested. Very cold weather does strange crap.

2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR
Purchased 10/25/2008, Totaled 10/28/2008 by the dealer
New 2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR....delivered 10/30/2008
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Go right to looking for spark plugs. They are a pain to get to. Since the plastic is off you have half the battle won......
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

im with bms. check the battery before u start taking **** appart. i had a similar problem. started up the sometimes died. my headlights used to go dull jus before she died. i checked everythin. spark plugs fuel lines, fuel in tank. then realised the only thing i didnt check was the battery... started all the time ever since... i didnt evan get the clicking from the starter motor when it wouldnt start. if u have a multi meter check the battery terminals. should say 13v. if its less than bout 11.5 id say for definate
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofiep007 View Post
So? I've had my bike start then die about 30 sec later due to a battery. I remember it quite well since I had to push my bike back to my house from about a block away...

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Something similar happened to me too. I rode my bike fine upto the gas station and then it wouldn't start when I tried. When you try to turn it on u just hear a loud clicking sound as if a wire stuck in a running fan. Turns out the battery was dead. I didn't have any place to go get the battery charged or get a new one and trying a running start was not a possibility because gas station was very small next to a busy road. So I had to jump start it using a friends Honda CRV. And even with the crv running it seemed like the bike wouldn't start. I had the throttle open all the way but it just kept trying. Then when I was right about to give up(like about 20+ secs of continuous holding it open) it lit up.....vrooooommm..... I just thought since I kept trying to start it with a dead battery the cylinders were flooded with gas and needed the bike to turn over that many time before it could start. Bike has been fine since then, I may need a new battery next season though.

2007 Black CBR600RR

I need a mint condition silver tail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page