coolant leak... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation coolant leak...

Right, let me start off by saying this is the first time ive posted on the sight and am a noob here.

i went to start my rr5 last week and noticed it is leaking coolant from somewhere under the tank. i stripped the side fairing off and its not the rad or water pump thats leaking or any hoses visible from taking the side fairings off. it was fine when i put her away the beginning of dec, but since then temperature here dropped to like -15. i got a proper 50/50 mix of coolant, (brought silkolene which coves pre mixed) which is effective to -34. could this be a problem with the thermostat/casing, the head gasket or a pipe that i jus cant see? i am yet to lift the tank to get under but would appreciate it if anyone has had a similar problem so i know were to look or if ive missed a probable cause for the leak. also last week i ran the bike upto temp,after refilling the coolant, and i couldnt see any leaks. i just went back to the bike to start her up and try and see if i can see the leak again, but when i checked the coolant bottle, it was totally empty... no puddle on the floor nothing.

i feel i am being completely thick and missing something obvious and would like some oppinions or advice before i spend time lifting the tank to check because its way to cold to be arsin about but really want to find the problem so i can get parts ordered ready.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Did you double check that the radiator cap is correctly fitted? Also, get a flashlight and look around for tell tale signs of dried coolant around the cap and at all the hose fittings. I'm not sure what color silkolene is, but the regular honda coolant would leave whitish-green residue at any leak sites.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

silkolenes what honda recommends. ive checked the caps both on the rad and the bottle both are sound. all hoses seem fine but havent checked under the tank yet. the only sign was a drip running down the crankcase but the drip ran from the top of the engine where theres a small pool but cant pin point where its dripping from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page