I can use some help here guys!!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I can use some help here guys!!!!

do any of u guys know why my rps are weak after changing the throttle body, put new thermostat(with old gasket) and i also put 50/50 with water wetter on it.
and now the rpms are weak and it kinda works better after reving it up high?

kwrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Not sure why your RP(m)s are weakened after the maintenance.
It does seem strange that you would be able to re-use a thermostat gasket. Typically you use liquid gasket along with the fiber one, which makes them one time use. Why did you re-use it?

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

re-used it because i forgot to order a gasket when i ordered the new thermostat
u know, i went to the store and when i got back home i tried somethin,
here
i left the bike on, minutes later the temp raised up to 221, then the fan kicked in, now the temp went down to 212 and the fan turned off(this is normal)
i still left the bike on and the weird thing is that when the bike hit 221 again the fan kicked on and the rpms went back to weak and low right after the fan kicked on the second time, do u think its battery related? because i think my battery is not that good, it used to die before because my ideling was too low

kwrr

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

why are there some black spots in my coolant, i just noticed that when i took the radiator cap off

kwrr
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:26 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by primo10 View Post
why are there some black spots in my coolant, i just noticed that when i took the radiator cap off
Is it liquid spots or solid black foreign bodies?

If it's liquid, and I don't want to alarm you, but it could be oil. This would lead you to think it may be the cylinder head gasket. Have you noticed white smoke steadily coming out of the exhaust? Sweet smell when the engine is running?

Alternatively, it could be a reaction between the new and old coolant. Did you flush through with distilled water before putting the new coolant in?

If solid, could be floaters caused by corrosion of the hoses or radiator??? What have you been running in the radiator (pre-mixed coolant, tap water & anti freeze, distilled water & ant freeze, just tap or just distilled water?) Tap water can, over time, corrode the aluminium radiator.

Last edited by Sun-Zoom-Spark; 12-24-2010 at 09:30 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Moto GP Racer

You're not providing much info for someone that is TROLLing for help.

/thread.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

btw 04 cbr600rr 23.000 miles

yeah now that i think about it, id say it is oil, somebody told me that when a motorcycle overheats u blow the head gasket and oil mixes with ur coolant or something like that.
like a month ago my bike was overheating(252 and numbers were blinkin because i left the bike ideling about 25 minutes) someone told me i blew my head gasket....after that day my bike has been givin me troubles. like it wouldnt turn on with the starter
then i pushed started it and it worked, after this it will start with the starter. then i did the work on it(new thottle body and thermostat)
and the the question about the steam yes it does, its white and even when the temperature is 170 i still see steam.
when i was goin to put the new thermostat i had to take all the coolant out of the system,so i did and i dumped it and then put 50/50 mixed with water wetter without cleanin with distilled water or anything like that (after the thermostat was ready with the old thermostat gasket tho)
so i donk know
i think i got a couple problems here

all u said makes sense rr3, what would u recommend me to do here?
thanks i appreciate the help
i still dont understand why my throttle is weak like really bad, it makes a weird noise

kwrr

Last edited by primo10; 12-25-2010 at 12:15 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

what pics would be needed here?

kwrr
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
what pics would be needed here?
lol, thats what i was thinking.

your bike shouldnt over heat if your coolant system is working properly.

but i would suspect that you have some air in the system. open the cap, fire up the bike, and once its upto temp start to squeeze the lower rad hose, you should get some bubbles in the rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Knee Dragger

It couldn't more definitely be a blown head gasket. Getting up to 252 will have done that.
Explains the steam, and the oil in your coolant.

Check the head for damage/cracking/deformation. If you don't know how to do this, consider taking it to a reputable shop for inspection.

If your engine is somehow not critically damaged, buy a gallon of distilled water from your local grocery store for $1, and use maybe a fifth of it to flush your cooling system. If you're in an area that experiences freezing temps, be sure to use antifreeze in the correct proportion when you refill it.
I'm guessing your bike is leaking/steaming still in some way? If so, please refrain from riding it until you get it fixed, that's a serious safety hazard.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 AM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtRRiton View Post
I'm guessing your bike is leaking/steaming still in some way? If so, please refrain from riding it until you get it fixed, that's a serious safety hazard.
Make sure you replace the cylinder head gasket before riding much more or more damage could occur. You will also need to change your oil and coolant as it sounds as though each will have the other mixed in it).

The gasket is cheap to replace yourself but is a complete pita. If you're not confident then take it to a garage you trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
lol, thats what i was thinking.

your bike shouldnt over heat if your coolant system is working properly.

but i would suspect that you have some air in the system. open the cap, fire up the bike, and once its upto temp start to squeeze the lower rad hose, you should get some bubbles in the rad.
Don't do this until the head gasket is fixed.

Last edited by Sun-Zoom-Spark; 12-25-2010 at 09:23 AM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Moto GP Racer

Pics of coolant with suspected oil contamination.
The strange noise could be from loss of compression in the cylinder where the gasket is ruptured. Any backfiring?

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
I am sure there will be coolant in the oil you got serious issues bro do not run the bike until
the head gasket leak is fixed otherwise you will blow up that motor

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

as soon as u guys told me it was probably oil and coolant mixed i took it to the shop
the mechanic told me it was coolant and oil, he said that the day the temp was up to 252 1- it blew the head gasket.
2-then the thermostat gasket isnt good so its leakin from there too and the gasket of the thermostat case thats why it was leakin alot
3-another problem the battery he tested it and the voltage was 10 or somethin like that when normally its 14 or 13
u guys are awesome thanks for the help i appreciate it
Merry christmas
one little question: i didnt have a licence plate light on my bike so i got this L.E.D from auto parts and just because i didnt know which cables are for the licence plate, i connected it to my tail light, it works perfect, the question is can this cause any problems?

kwrr
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Back in the Day

So will that shop do the head gasket job for you or you are doing it yourself ?

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
So will that shop do the head gasket job for you or you are doing it yourself ?
Considering the thermostat gasket install results, this task may be better off in the hands of someone with experience.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Considering the thermostat gasket install results, this task may be better off in the hands of someone with experience.
Nah, how else is he gonna learn anything? Get in there, kid!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i really want to do it, just to learn more, and i actually told the mechanic to do the work but i asked if i could watch,the mechanic said that will bother him but i told him i just wanted to learn so he actually told me i could help if i wanted to which is good, this guy used to be a motogp mechanic, hes got actually got a lot of experience...i have a question when i put a new head gasket do i need to put a new cylinder head cover?? i think he said something about a cover that u have to replace when u change the head gasket

kwrr

Last edited by primo10; 12-27-2010 at 07:04 PM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Training Wheel Hero

+1 on the head gasket, do you not have a fan? you should never let you temp get that high

two 07/08 600rr track
elka elite 3 way
matris 25 mil carts
woodcraft rear sets and case covers
Accossato master+galfer lines
brake tech axis iron rotors
vortex clips
r&r racing fairing stay
factory pro stacks
hrc ecu
hrc wire harnes
bazzaz zfi qs + zafm
akro evo ti
stm slipper clutch
08 1000rr mono block calipers
bmc air filter
tuned my mike cantfield
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
when i put a new head gasket do i need to put a new cylinder head cover?? i think he said something about a cover that u have to replace when u change the head gasket
Maybe he said that you'll need to replace the valve cover gasket while you're going in; that'd make sense to me.

And yes, I agree with WRM, the 252 temp is a little suspicious. It'd have to get REAL hot, but I guess 15 minutes could possibly outwork your fan.

I'm glad that you're going to be involved; try not to take it personally if he seems impatient or annoyed. I learned all of my skill through "helping" and practicing, and when you're super experienced, it can be easy to forget how difficult things seem at first. You'll learn a lot!
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

yeah i know it might bother him that ill be there,

look what i did two days ago, i was curious...im like my coolant has oil what if i flush the coolant out and put clean one, what can happen. well i did this i flushed the coolant and repeated the process like 3 times, u know flush water, turn the bike on to let the thersmostat open up and flush it out...(3times)
when i first flushed it i turned it on without water or coolant and it started right up, i turned it off right away tho bcuz it didnt have any coolant or water, then did the flushin process three times and the bike was starting right up, now after i put the coolant it started too then i turned the bike off and minutes later i tried to turn it on and it wont turn on(even if i was givin it gas it wouldnt start)...
my point is that after i took the dirty coolant out the bike started right up, does that mean that its the head gasket? and all i have to do is change it?
i wonder why minutes later it just never turned on again, do u guys think its the coolant that mixed with the oil very quick

kwrr

Last edited by primo10; 12-30-2010 at 05:59 PM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
yeah i know it might bother him that ill be there,
Just so it's clear man, I think it's great that he's letting you do that, and I totally encourage it.

Quote:
my point is that after i took the dirty coolant out the bike started right up, does that mean that its the head gasket? and all i have to do is change it?
i wonder why minutes later it just never turned on again, do u guys think its the coolant that mixed with the oil very quick
From the information you've provided, it seems that coolant and oil have mixed, and 99.5% of the time, this is the result of a blown head gasket. If it was blown before, it didn't get better, and you'd be hard pressed to find another explanation for the symptoms, especially given the overheat.

I highly recommend that you do NOT start the bike again while the head gasket is still fouled up and the damage has been fully assessed.

That being said, here are 3 of the many possibilities as to why your bike wouldn't start after the flushing:
1. the temperature your bike reached was over 220F when it would not start.
2. A safety circuit was not completed (kill switch/tip sensor/ key/kickstand/clutch lever)
3. (hopefully not the case) water made it into your engine and did serious damage (unlikely)

oil in your coolant is bad, but coolant in your engine is worse. I understand that this situation might make you painfully impatient to hear it work again, but this isn't a quick fix kind of thing.

Take it slow, and do the right thing.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtRRiton View Post
Oil in your coolant is bad, but coolant in your engine is worse. I understand that this situation might make you painfully impatient to hear it work again, but this isn't a quick fix kind of thing.

Take it slow, and do the right thing.

Worst thing you can do is get impatient and just get the thing running again. You need to fix the underlying problem, which will take time.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

im definately being patient lol
im not touchin my bike again
i ordered the head gasket from bikebandit and my mechanic ordered the head cover
hopefully we get that soon so we can start workin on my bike...men it sucks not to have ur bike runnin when all these girls are textin askin when are u gonna take them for a ride lol

so im gonna fix these problems and sell the bike

what bike should i get now? i really want to get the cbr1000 2008
would that be a good choice?

and thank u so much guys for all the help,
bein in the forum really helps to learn...im like surprised of all ive learned so far lol...most important thing is to shut ur bike off when its overheating lol

kwrr
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Nah, how else is he gonna learn anything? Get in there, kid!
bwahahahahaaaaa!!!

"If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor."

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Back in the Day

Getting your bike to over heat was the start of your problems that is not a condition
to ignore it should be addressed asap i am sure that was a tough lesson to learn
best of luck

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

yeah hahaha its gonna be some tough 600 at least lol
for sure i learned my lesson lol

kwrr
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
...men it sucks not to have ur bike runnin when all these girls are textin askin when are u gonna take them for a ride lol

so im gonna fix these problems and sell the bike

what bike should i get now? i really want to get the cbr1000 2008
would that be a good choice?
Why the new bike? It seems like you're only now beginning to get familiar with this one, man. When you work on your bike, it may be tedious at times, but you really get to know it inside and out, and it becomes more personal and comfortable. For me, at least.

Yeah, it's tough when you know about issues they've had. I was devastated when I found out my bike had been rebuilt from a wreck. But I've worked on so much of that bike now, and I'm so confident and secure with it, because I've touched, adjusted, and inspected every square inch. I'll recognize very well when things go wrong. Nothing's a mystery any more, and I really like that.

the 2008 CBR1000rr is a wonderful machine. Is it right for you? We have no idea.
Not trying to be harsh, man. But your bike is your choice.
Look at your personal taste, the options, your income, and the quality of the bike. Sit on a few. Ride them if you can. Factor in for maintenance! brakes and tires add up.

Just remember; every time you get a new vehicle, you've got to re-learn a completely different individual bike.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ive driven my friends cbr1000 2008
i like it better than my 04 cbr600rr
it feels much more confortable i really like it
im gonna get the HRC replica, income? ive been saving up lol i think i can handle $10.000, more than that would be a little tough lol
i talked to someone sellin one for 7k i might buy it when hes ready to sell it

kwrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page