crap... frozen bike. am i screwed? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
crap... frozen bike. am i screwed?

i have a 05 rr track bike.

i went to take my bike up to my storage at the start of winter when i saw my trailer had been hit by someone. So i could not take the bike to storage at that point because the trailer was broken. Then i got busy with school work, thanksgiving travel, more school work, full time job, and even more school work... so it sat in my parking lot till now. I dont mind snow or water on it. it sat outside for 2 years before i got a storage place and i never had a problem with it.

It slipped my mind that i had water wetter in it, not anti freeze because its a track bike. well it hit me the other day, a little late.

i squeezed the pipes that carry the coolant that are rubber and most are slush, definitely somewhat frozen. the one at the bottom right of the rad is pretty hard and i would guess frozen. i took the rad cap off and there is no ice right at the top, however i can not see in because plastics are in the way.

It is a pretty well flushed system, maybe a tiny bit of glycol left over, so pretty much just water and red line water wetter which say on the bottle does not protect against freezing. from what i have learned as a chemistry major a solute added to a solvent lowers the freezing point regardless in most cases of what it is. so the water wetter should have stopped it from freezing at ~32 and lowered the freezing point by some small amount. i think that's why its not all rock hard.

right now its in the mid to high 20's however i know a few weeks ago it dipped into the mid teens and it could have been completely frozen then. i do know that is was a little low on water in the rad, just a tiny bit that came out of a disconnected over flow line last time i had it running.

I dont see anything broken from the expansion as of now, the rad looks fine, the fins are not budged like i was expecting if the water in them expanded. i have not been able to give it a really good look. i am going to get it into a warm place sunday and wait for it to thaw. after it thaws i will check for leaks, run it, and check for oil in the water.

i am so pissed that i did this. all because some a** hole hit my trailer and ran.

have you seen this happen before? does it always crack the block? any thoughts? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

you need to get the bike inside or put a heater in yoru trailer and warm the bike up. IF the water in the block didnt freeze too much you may be ok. but you need to get the slush out. if you have a block of ice, your head may be screwed. i would suggest get the bike warmed up. and then once its completely thawed, run it up to operating temperature, then shut it off and drop your oil, and drain teh water wetter. if you have NO oil in the rad and NO water in the oil. then you should be ok

good luck!! i almost forgot to do the wifes bike. i used it only to get my license and its been sitting all summer. i went to winterize it, and pulled the cap on the rad and though aww ****, i need more coolant lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

is the head usually the only thing that gets messed up in regards to the engine when this happen?

is it also possible that the block was stretched by the ice and not cracked so i would not see oil/water mixture problem, but possible performance problems?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

there are journals that are in your engine that the water/coolant flow through. when the water freezes and it expands the expansion has to go somewhere, and ice believe it or not is stronger then aluminum. it can crack your block and your head. ive seen it happen a couple times and it seems to do more damage to the head. not too often it will crack both, but ive only seen it a few times. when i switch mine from water/wetter to glycol, i mix it and test it so that the coolant tester bottoms out the guage. my guage reads to -45C. and we get to -40 on a regular basis. its very rare for the next few months that we see above 0.

Quote:
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Only way to find out is to roll it into your house overnight and run it in the morning.
The overflow bottle will have oil in it and/or your oil will have water wetter.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

what i am hoping is that because there was room for expansion in the system as a whole that it expanded there. i guess though it could possibly just expand where it was sitting at the time it froze. water takes the path of least resistance when it flows, i just hope it does the same when it freezes lol.

thanks for the input
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Moto GP Racer

with the engine cold the thermistat is closed, so the fluid has no place to travel. until your engine is upto temperater the thermistat remains closed and opens to allow the fluid to travel to the rad.

unless your removed your thermistat (i havnt but know guys that have on race bikes) the fluid is stuck in the engine

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Ehhh....don't freak out yet. Usually you have room for expansion.
Hopefully you're running synth oil too, 'cause below freezing temps will ruin fossil oil.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

ooooh. a buddy of mine had this happen. left here for florida and forgot about the water wetter and it froze on the way. like others have said, run it for a real short time then drain the fluids. hopefully your oil wont come out with a bunch of water in it like his did
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That sux, Had it happen to a buddy R6 Trackbike and he had to replace the heads.
Hope your turns out ok.

I put away my bike way before the end of fall/freezing. I had it winterize and stored by October.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page