bike Sounds Rough... new to me - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bike Sounds Rough... new to me

Hey guys. I have been riding now for almost 5 years... I have ridden and owned many bikes over the years and fancy the CBR 600rr the most. Hence why i had an 06, 05 and now an 03. My bike was running fine. I recently did an oil change with filter and spark plug change. Bike ran fine after doing these things. About 4 days after, with an almost full tank of gas, the bike started trying to shut off in the middle of riding. It kept doing this until today when come to find out it was a pinched line. I stopped off on the side of the road and fixed it. I continued riding and went roughly 20 miles, then it all of a sudden went from idling at 1400rpms down to 1000rpms and sounding like a lawn mower engine... Any idea what this could be? I have been working on motorcycles for a while but never encountered this problem. I fear it's a cylinder problem. I stopped the bike and let it rest for about 30 minutes and then started it up and rode it in first gear for a minute and as soon as I started it up, it sounded like the lawn mower engine again. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated... Completely stock bike other than fender eliminator kit. No modifications at all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
check your idle adjuster and raise the idle back to 1500. My guess is maybe you touched it with your foot by mistake. My friends idle was out of range on his 05rr and it did sound like that lawn mower you mentioned.

Black 2006 600rr l SOLD Dec 2010
07 600rr - sold Aug 2011
07 white/silver 600rr - sold
Current: 2015 1000rr
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it sounds like your coils could be bad, does it sound like a twin, i would recomend taking the plugs out and check for anuy sighns of not firing, ....... one other thing it may be is your valves, when was the last time they where check? if the coils are not the problem i would then sugest you check your valves to see if they are to tight or loose. if they are to tight you are then going to want to check your cams and valve buckets for excessive wear. good luck and i hope i was some help.

two 07/08 600rr track
elka elite 3 way
matris 25 mil carts
woodcraft rear sets and case covers
Accossato master+galfer lines
brake tech axis iron rotors
vortex clips
r&r racing fairing stay
factory pro stacks
hrc ecu
hrc wire harnes
bazzaz zfi qs + zafm
akro evo ti
stm slipper clutch
08 1000rr mono block calipers
bmc air filter
tuned my mike cantfield

Last edited by wrm170; 12-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
One thing i would check is to make sure the coil packs are down all the way they might have backed out and no making full contact with the plugs. Are the plugs gaped to the right spec? two things i would check.. Hope it help good luck
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

What line was pinched? Does it get up to speed and ride fine, other than the noise and low idle? Can you describe the noise any better? Did you maybe knock a vacuum line loose, when changing the oil, or fixing that other kinked line?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Update!!!

Ok here is my update... tonight I pulled all the fairings off and looked deeper. The coils are pushed all the way down. No lines were pinched and I adjusted the idle back up to 1500rpms. However, how do you check the coil packs to tell if they are still good or not. The big news is after I did all of this and started the bike, it's weird. First the noise is still there... It literally sounds like a fart or someone blowing raspberries the whole time instead of the smooth rev sound. I noticed though that on the left side of the bike, where the metal and rubber radiator hose meet, I pushed down on that with my fingers and the revs popped back up about 200rpms... but as soon as I let go it went back down. My idle adjuster cable was ripped off in a low slide accident, however the actual adjuster is still there and I used that. When i'm riding the bike does seem to get up to speed and ride fine, but there is much less power when trying to take off. It doesnt want to kick in until about 4500 rpms. The bike seems to ride fine like no jerking or anything but other than the no power until 4500 and instead of normal cruising at 55mph at close to 5500 rpms, I was doing 55mph today and only at 4500rpms...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So everyone knows, im pretty good at mechanical type work if its explained. I dont know all this diagnostic stuff too well, but when it comes to fixing it, as long as I can pinpoint the problem I can fix it. I'm not a total idiot...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Training Wheel Hero

ok, there is one thing i want you to check, if you where siting on the bike, there should be mas sensor on the bottom right side of the air box and there is a eletrical plug and a vacum line, what i want you to look for and it is verry easy to not see this but verry closely inpect that the vacum line is not pinched or kincked, so inpect this verry closley to insure that it is not, if you like you can give me a call and i will do my best ot trubble shoot your problem with you. i will pm you my number.

two 07/08 600rr track
elka elite 3 way
matris 25 mil carts
woodcraft rear sets and case covers
Accossato master+galfer lines
brake tech axis iron rotors
vortex clips
r&r racing fairing stay
factory pro stacks
hrc ecu
hrc wire harnes
bazzaz zfi qs + zafm
akro evo ti
stm slipper clutch
08 1000rr mono block calipers
bmc air filter
tuned my mike cantfield
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I just pictured you taking a lap around town on the farter exhaust. lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hey again awesome community and thanks for all your help. Good news is I found the problem. It was actually almost none of the things you guys listed. what had happened was, the wire to the spark plug closest to the radiator fan got caught between the motor and fan and the fan chopped it all to hell thus making my motorcycle a 3 cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page