headlights out, bike won't start. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
headlights out, bike won't start.

I had just been out riding the previous day(I ride every day)and the next day my headlights wouldn't come on and the bike wouldn't start. The headlights normally come on with the key turn. No lights, and it just turns over but doesn't start. I went and bought new battery and its been fully charged and checked so that can't be it. I don't want to waste a lot of money fixing things that aren't broken so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check fuse?

I rather die on my feet than live on my knees
I rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Check fuses and relays. Sounds like it could be an issue with your kill switch/starter button, can you hear the fuel pump prime itself?

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I have the same exact thing goin on with mine. Fuel pump ain't primin, headlights and gauge lights ain't comin on, front signals are dead, and rear signals are constantly on, not flashing. I checked fuses, relays, and bas, can't figure it out. Ecu maybe? What Ecu is compatible with an 06 600rr?
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would check all the connections maybe something came loose?!

2006 CBR 600rr All BLACK- SOLD 41,000 miles...
2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Yea, checked all the connections, grounds, everything I could think of. I'm quite frustrated with it. Does anyone know of a way to test the ecu manually? The weirdest part is she just quit while riding.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Here is a link to the fix for what is probably the problem. It is pretty common for the wire to come loose from the contact inside the kill switch. Just entails opening up the switch and re-soldering the wire. Hope this helps.

-Coons
RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010

http://www.facebook.com/cCoons

Last edited by Coondawg_07; 01-20-2011 at 09:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coondawg_07 For This Useful Post:
DAARKMARK (03-10-2011)
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yea this topic has def been covered in depth.
i think i had a thread with the same issue and it covers a lot of potential problems and has links to other threads, sooooo

did you search at all?? probably not i see you are new...

do a little home work, and you should def come across the info you are looking for dude.

good luck

most likely just a ground wire somewhere...

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

ill show ya a little houston love:

went ahead and got the link to my thread.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=193904

in it you should def find some useable info.

there are also links to other similar threads that i recommend you go over

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I searched for about a week and a half before I joined. It just seems like the nothing is getting power except the starter and the tail light. Most of the other threads people had issues with their bas but mine is still good. The lack of power to the fuel pump is why I checked the bas, and one of my buddies is suggesting I have a bad ecu, but the bike only has 6,488 miles so I'm really not sold on that idea.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
If you will follow that link that Dep posted up above you'll see a lot of good stuff. Check all the links and do some reading.

-Coons
RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010

http://www.facebook.com/cCoons

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_k View Post
I searched for about a week and a half before I joined. It just seems like the nothing is getting power except the starter and the tail light. Most of the other threads people had issues with their bas but mine is still good. The lack of power to the fuel pump is why I checked the bas, and one of my buddies is suggesting I have a bad ecu, but the bike only has 6,488 miles so I'm really not sold on that idea.
look at the link to my thread, it is posted in the post of mine above yours. i highly doubt your ECU is bad, before you start throwing money away on that sheet go through checking grounds. and be diligent, and do not over look anything.
there is another thread linked within my own 'help no start' thread.
as i sugguested to the OP i will do the same to you.
read my thread and also read the thread that is mentioned.
you should find some things to start looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondawg_07 View Post
If you will follow that link that Dep posted up above you'll see a lot of good stuff. Check all the links and do some reading.

what he said!

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

that looks like it may be the problem, ill check it out when i get off of work. i appreciate the link!!
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

^^ no problem bud, hope it helps.

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRbatbike View Post
I had just been out riding the previous day(I ride every day)and the next day my headlights wouldn't come on and the bike wouldn't start. The headlights normally come on with the key turn. No lights, and it just turns over but doesn't start. I went and bought new battery and its been fully charged and checked so that can't be it. I don't want to waste a lot of money fixing things that aren't broken so...
OP: What year is your bike? Yours should be easy: Check your kill switch, it has been covered in detail several times. Failing that it may be an issue with the ground in the front harness.

Quote:
I have the same exact thing goin on with mine. Fuel pump ain't primin, headlights and gauge lights ain't comin on, front signals are dead, and rear signals are constantly on, not flashing. I checked fuses, relays, and bas, can't figure it out. Ecu maybe? What Ecu is compatible with an 06 600rr?
Have a good look over your harness, it sounds like it is damaged somewhere, focus on the front harness and where those connections go into the main harness, and the ground connection from the battery to the rest of the bike.

And 05-06 are the only compatible ones unless you want to change other bits while your at it.

Quote:
Yea, checked all the connections, grounds, everything I could think of. I'm quite frustrated with it. Does anyone know of a way to test the ecu manually? The weirdest part is she just quit while riding.
Nope, as far as I'm aware no manual testing of the ecu is possible unfortunately.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check this out guys,
I've got a similar issue, went to get on my bike after work and no headlights but everything else was on bike wouldnt start had to have someone push start me so I could ride hm.
Got hm took my bike apart and my roommate found that the headlight fuse was blown, so I used the spair, after putting that in I had a felling it was my headlight switch cause it was a used part I bought over a year ago. So I turned off my high beams turned on the key and my headlight was on as normal finally, started the bike no problem. switched my high beam on and boom the fuse poped right away! Got more fuses now.
Orded me a new High beam switch from egay, got it and it did the same **** as the one I already have.
Now Im search of advice I'm going to check out the links above but if anyone else knows what could be the problem I would love some help!
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no__limit__ View Post
Check this out guys,
I've got a similar issue, went to get on my bike after work and no headlights but everything else was on bike wouldnt start had to have someone push start me so I could ride hm.
Got hm took my bike apart and my roommate found that the headlight fuse was blown, so I used the spair, after putting that in I had a felling it was my headlight switch cause it was a used part I bought over a year ago. So I turned off my high beams turned on the key and my headlight was on as normal finally, started the bike no problem. switched my high beam on and boom the fuse poped right away! Got more fuses now.
Orded me a new High beam switch from egay, got it and it did the same **** as the one I already have.
Now Im search of advice I'm going to check out the links above but if anyone else knows what could be the problem I would love some help!
Yep, I know exactly what your problem is, you have a short in the high beam harness somewhere.

What year bike is it and which fuse exactly is blowing, as there are 2 that are part of the high beam circuit. One for the control and one for the light itself.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Yep, I know exactly what your problem is, you have a short in the high beam harness somewhere.

What year bike is it and which fuse exactly is blowing, as there are 2 that are part of the high beam circuit. One for the control and one for the light itself.

its an 08' 600rr and its blowing the headlight fuse
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
its an 08' 600rr and its blowing the headlight fuse
Cool, First thing is to unplug the high beam lamp and remove the relay form the fuse box.

Now turn the high beam on.

If the fuse blows: Your short is between the relay and the clipon plug.

If it doesn't blow then plug the relay in and turn it on again, it should blow this time and the issue is between the relay and the high beam plug.

Once you know where the problem is I would either have a VERY close look at the harness looking for any physical damage that may be present or simply cut the wires close to the components and solder in (and heat shrink) a new length of wire in order to simply bypass the short.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Training Wheel Hero

so i had to go to the field for a few days and i had my roommate drop her off at the local honda dealership for work, cause all i wanted to do was ride when i got done trainign. they say "everything looks fine, we dont know whats wrong with it" wtf, really? for $98/hr you better come up with something better than that. any suggestions?
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
so i had to go to the field for a few days and i had my roommate drop her off at the local honda dealership for work, cause all i wanted to do was ride when i got done trainign. they say "everything looks fine, we dont know whats wrong with it" wtf, really? for $98/hr you better come up with something better than that. any suggestions?
Try unplugging your front harness and jumping the BAS at the main harness connectors.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Cool, First thing is to unplug the high beam lamp and remove the relay form the fuse box.

If it doesn't blow then plug the relay in and turn it on again, it should blow this time and the issue is between the relay and the high beam plug.

Once you know where the problem is I would either have a VERY close look at the harness looking for any physical damage that may be present or simply cut the wires close to the components and solder in (and heat shrink) a new length of wire in order to simply bypass the short.
So what is thus clipon plug you talk of, and what's the difference in that and the highbeam plug? How easy is it to take out the relay from the fusebox area? Does it just pull out? So what fairings need to come off to get to the clipon plug, & highbeam plug? To I need to take my wire harness out to fix it or can it be done on the bike?
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So what is thus clipon plug you talk of
That's the one you pulled out to replace the switch assembly on the handle bar (clip on)
Quote:
and what's the difference in that and the high beam plug?
The high beam plug is the one on the back of the light bulb itself.
Quote:
How easy is it to take out the relay from the fuse box area? Does it just pull out?
Yep, pulls straight out.
Quote:
So what fairings need to come off to get to the clipon plug, & high beam plug?
None...
Quote:
To I need to take my wire harness out to fix it or can it be done on the bike?
Shouldn't need to.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
nico you the man!

2007 RSV 1000R - Track
2005 RC51 - SOLD
2003 ZZR1200 - Street/Mod
2004 Durango HEMI - Tow duty
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

So I unplugged the highbeam and the relay, turned on the lights hit the highbeams, and no fuse blew. Put the relay back in, turned lights back on, they the highbeams and again no fuse blew. Both times in my cluster the highbeam led would light up, but no blowen fuse. And no highbeam. Plugged my highbeam back in and tried the lights again, hit the highbeams, and pop. Fuse blew out, the main headlight went out and bike won't start.

Replaced fuse, made sure highbeams were off and turned on the lights and bike started. So is this my highbeam headlight that is burned out causing the fuse blow?

Or could it be somewhere in the wiring from the highbeam to the fuse and relay area? That cable goes under the gas take plastic. I didn't want to take all that off if it could be in the headlight/highbeam itself. I want to go HID but wanted to fix this issue first.

Any other things you can think of?

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by no__limit__; 02-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Your problem is either the relay itself has gone short or there is a short between it and the headlight itself. Relay is easy to test, just take it out and put the fan control relay in there and turn it on (don't put your high beam one in the fan spot though).

If the fuse still blows then you have a short between the relay and the high beam light, which will necessitate pulling the front end apart to inspect the harness.

If it works as its supposed to then you just need a new relay!
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Your problem is either the relay itself has gone short or there is a short between it and the headlight itself. Relay is easy to test, just take it out and put the fan control relay in there and turn it on (don't put your high beam one in the fan spot though).

If the fuse still blows then you have a short between the relay and the high beam light, which will necessitate pulling the front end apart to inspect the harness.

If it works as its supposed to then you just need a new relay!
So I pulled the fan relay and put it in my headlight spot and it does the exact same thing. I have my bike pulled apart and I dont see anything on the headlight wires that show any sign of damage anywhere. Not on the highbeam or the lowbeam wires. I've looked at the Headlight wire harness and dont see anything wrong with the wires at all. Is there a way to test the wires? or what can I do next? From the looks of the headlight wire harness it only hooks up to the lowbeam but the high beam the wires go into the main haness that goes under and around my gas tank. Im changing out the air filter this weekend and would like to solve the issue since Im trying to rebuild my bike after laying it down 2 weeks ago. Please help me. If it can help I can give you my number or something to walk me through what I need to do or look for on the wires. thanks so much.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I had the exact same thing on my 05, headlights didnt light up, gauge didnt light up, fuel pump didnt prime........sounds like exactly what i had. I checked a bunch of things and after weeks of trying to figure it out...........IT WAS A GROUND WIRE!!!!!

Check your ground wires. Mine were in a little yellow box/harness on the left side under the fairings by the the seat. I had one single ground wire that was not in the harness well, i ended up cutting it before the harness and grounding it on the frame. Everything works fine now. Another thing that can be done is to literally solder all of the ground wires together and heat shrink wrap them.

I am gonna say that it is 100% a ground issue.

Leo Vince Titanium Slip On
Driven 520 -1 +2 Chain and Sprockets (red)
6k 55w HID (sooo much better)
Driven D3 Grips (white)
Some Oem Silver Fairings to replace my shitty
after market kit i got with it.
Valentino Rossi AGV xr-2 (sweet)

And a BIG to do list.....
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchominiRR View Post
I had the exact same thing on my 05, headlights didnt light up, gauge didnt light up, fuel pump didnt prime........sounds like exactly what i had. I checked a bunch of things and after weeks of trying to figure it out...........IT WAS A GROUND WIRE!!!!!

Check your ground wires. Mine were in a little yellow box/harness on the left side under the fairings by the the seat. I had one single ground wire that was not in the harness well, i ended up cutting it before the harness and grounding it on the frame. Everything works fine now. Another thing that can be done is to literally solder all of the ground wires together and heat shrink wrap them.

I am gonna say that it is 100% a ground issue.
Difference between yours and his is that his is blowing fuses... so not a ground issue, it will likely be a shorted wire.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So I pulled the fan relay and put it in my headlight spot and it does the exact same thing. I have my bike pulled apart and I dont see anything on the headlight wires that show any sign of damage anywhere. Not on the highbeam or the lowbeam wires. I've looked at the Headlight wire harness and dont see anything wrong with the wires at all. Is there a way to test the wires? or what can I do next? From the looks of the headlight wire harness it only hooks up to the lowbeam but the high beam the wires go into the main haness that goes under and around my gas tank. Im changing out the air filter this weekend and would like to solve the issue since Im trying to rebuild my bike after laying it down 2 weeks ago. Please help me. If it can help I can give you my number or something to walk me through what I need to do or look for on the wires. thanks so much.
No offence, but I really don't want to call you and pay international rates... if you were over here I'd just come around and have a look for you but that is a little hard in this case...

You need to have a VERY close look at the harness from the relay to the high beam lamp, that is where the short is likely to be - might just be simpler to just replace the wire (run a new one).

If you want to run a new one cut the blue/black one a little below the relay and run a new piece of wire from there to the lamp (the wire is the same colour at the lamp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page