High beams blows headlight fuse out everytime! why? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
High beams blows headlight fuse out everytime! why?

hi everyone,

I've got a problem, about 2 months ago my high beam went out. I dont know how long the OEM lights are good for, I was thinking of going to HID since the problem came up but then about 2 weeks ago after work I went to get on my bike and no headlights at all but everything else was on, fuel injectors are going and the bike wouldnt start. I called and asked a friend what I should do so I had to have someone push start me so I could ride hm. Without headlights! Just after sunset and I have a dark tented visor.On top of that on of the streets I ride everyday had a power-outage and there were no street lights for 2-3 miles. FUN TIMES!!

Got hm took my bike apart and my roommate found that the headlight fuse was blown, so I used the spair, after putting that in I had a felling it was my headlight switch cause it was a used part I bought over a year ago. So I turned off my high beams turned on the key and my headlight was on as normal finally, started the bike no problem. switched my high beam on and boom the fuse poped right away! Got more fuses now.

Strange thing is I can ride as normal untill the high beam gets turned on and it blows the fuse again and I loose my headlights, and my bike still runs untill I turn it off then it wont start up. I then have to put a new fuse in and turn off the high beams and the bike is ok again.

So I orded me a new High beam switch from egay, thinking this could be the issue, got it and it did the same $h!t as the one I already have. Bike will start up without the high beams on and run but if you turn on the high beams it blows the fuse again. Back to square one.

Now Im in search of any advice if anyone knows what could be the problem I would love some help! I just checked out a thread and I will keep looking but Im not sure what could be my problem.

I was thinking it could be the left head light, but that would cause an open, not a short! Right?! Something somewhere is shorting out my head lights when the High beam shitch gets turned on. I know I can ride without the high beam but I usally always ride with it on. Plus if I goto HID's like I want I want my high beams too damn it

O Yea my bike is an 08' 600rr with almost 10K miles, and been down only once and fixed.

Thanks fellow riders

Last edited by no__limit__; 01-24-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
If you are going to look into fixing this by yourself you need a volt meter. This is a must to find out what is shorting.. You can use continuity setting on the meter (BEEPS) when both leads are on the same wire,power,ground. This will be the way you find your short. I would look at any mods you have done in the past first and make sure they are good. After you get a meter we can go further into finding out what is causing the short.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the only mod I've done to it was the LED's in my gauges and they work just fine. Nothing else is mod yet! I've got a multi metter already just asking if anyone knows what it could be so I dont have days of headache if someone else knows Im sure they will help. But thanks tripage!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Check the high beam switch wires for a ground fault when you are flipping the switch. Since you already replaced the switch, would be at the left clip on connection or in the high beam wire itself. Shouldn't be that hard to find it. Only runs from the switch to a relay and then to the headlight. A manual would be good too then you can trace the wire without having to pull the bodywork off and search for wires. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page