Trying to Help A Friend in need! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Trying to Help A Friend in need!

Ok guys my buddy has this problem with his zx-6r

"2nd gear on my 06 zx6r is shot. I take pride in working on my own bike, however, I do not feel comfortable doing this job."

"If I redline in second gear it pops into neutral and I can't redline from first to second and it just pops into neutral."

People on this other forum that SUCKS are telling him to swap motors.

What do you guys think is the problem?? And does he have to swap motors just because his 2nd gear is slipping?

2006 CBR 600rr All BLACK- SOLD 41,000 miles...
2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
Ok guys my buddy has this problem with his zx-6r

"2nd gear on my 06 zx6r is shot. I take pride in working on my own bike, however, I do not feel comfortable doing this job."

"If I redline in second gear it pops into neutral and I can't redline from first to second and it just pops into neutral."

People on this other forum that SUCKS are telling him to swap motors.

What do you guys think is the problem?? And does he have to swap motors just because his 2nd gear is slipping?
Not necessarily, but he has probably damaged the shift fork and may have damaged a lot of other bits in the process. If he is not all that mechanically experienced the job is probably beyond him as he will need to remove the engine, split the cases, determine which parts are broken and then replace them and put it all back together.

Although its not a job that has a high degree of technical difficulty, its not something that should be attempted if your not confident as there are a lot of parts and generally a few foibles in both the documentation and process itself that will need to be worked around.

I would reccomend that he get a quote from a mechanic to see how much it will cost him to have done, and if the motor is that much cheaper go that way.

He will also then have the old engine to use as a learning tool without it mattering to much if it goes to custard.

If he does go ahead and try to repair the old one tell him to get an engine with a blown head to use as a spare parts bin, much cheaper than buying individual components although there is a lot more work involved.

Last piece of advise: Chances are that he isn't shifting correctly, if you or someone else can get that sorted then this problem shouldn't reoccur.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Niceee Thanks for the reply gonna let him know what you said.

2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator

No worries mate.

He really does need to learn how to shift properly though otherwise this will happen to every bike he owns.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Not sure about a bike, but on a car that would be toasted syncros, which can lead to a toasted transmission.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandurin View Post
Not sure about a bike, but on a car that would be toasted syncros, which can lead to a toasted transmission.
Bent shift forks and dogs are more likely in a bike, especially when your shifting incorrectly at high rpm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I have ridden with him only once. But from what he says that Kawasaki's have a weak point for 2nd gear? I never heard of anything but then again I don't know anything about kawi's

2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
back when i was looking for my first bike i was interested in the kawi 636. everyone that i asked told me to test 2nd gear when i test ride one because it can go early. I think the 2nd gear might just be a weak point in the kawi. he might be able to just swap the transmission out but i have no idea how the kawi engine and transmission are put together. its possible that he may have to split the case to replace it, if thats the case its probably best to go with nico's advice and buy a blown motor and get a mechanic to do it.

good luck to your buddy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The 05/06 Ninja 636 is absolutely notorious for the second gear shift fork & shift dog issues. Happened to mine when I owned it and many others that I know who had the same bike. I paid roughly $1200 to have my forks/gear and shift dog replaced.

I can almost guarantee that is his issue. If he continued riding it that way for any time, then he probably also toasted the second gear.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page