New Tires Bike feels jumpy stuttery - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
New Tires Bike feels jumpy stuttery

Hey Folks,

Figured this might help someone who gets new tires for the first time.

I just went from this:

to This:

So now, I am just reaching the 50mile mark on the tires, the bike seems to be jumpy, like stuttery, and wants to accelerate, if I try to cruise at speed, it kind of jumps or twitches,

has anyone experienced this with new tires, is it just the tread gripping with every slight bump?

it turns fine, havent pushed it yet, as I am not over the 100 mile marker, I want to be safe,

I am thinking its just the difference between no tread and tread, when I got the bike it felt similar to this just not as dramatic,

thanks for the help!!!!!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Where did you buy the tires? I've heard of people buying them off line fro like ebay n **** and having some what of the same problem from the tire being defetive from the buyer or what not. Also out of all the tire why bridgestones's battlewaxes lol
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim~600~r~r View Post
Where did you buy the tires? I've heard of people buying them off line fro like ebay n **** and having some what of the same problem from the tire being defetive from the buyer or what not. Also out of all the tire why bridgestones's battlewaxes lol

hahhaha, battlewax NICE,

well I heard some good reviews about them, a lot of people here ride with em, I got them for a super killer deal, ride in, fully installed, and couldnt afford the 2cts this time around, I will be trying those next though, or the pures,

I got them from a local shop here, so I am sure the tires are good,

any cons you know of these tires? would love to know the bad on them,

thanks

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check the date on the tires. They might be sitting on the shelfs for too long. First 2 Numbers are weeks of the year, and last 2 digits are year. so 2409 means 24th weeks in 2009. Buyers ALWAYS ALWAYS check before letting those dealers sell you old tires. if one tire fails, you die.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I havent heard of any problems with the tires. We sell a lot of them at cycle gear. Make sure they balanced them correctly, that could be the issue. Next time, dont let your tire get down to where its chipping off in the center, not a bright idea. I have ridding on these tires and didn't feel what you are feeling.. just take them back to the shop and see what they can do... if its a defective tire, they should replace it for free. same with balancing.

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK View Post
I havent heard of any problems with the tires. We sell a lot of them at cycle gear. Make sure they balanced them correctly, that could be the issue. Next time, dont let your tire get down to where its chipping off in the center, not a bright idea. I have ridding on these tires and didn't feel what you are feeling.. just take them back to the shop and see what they can do... if its a defective tire, they should replace it for free. same with balancing.

Cool man, so smooth sailing the moment you got them huh? I was thinking its just giving insane feedback due to the bumps, I am going to take it on the smoothest road I know of, then call the guy,

thanks mang!!!!!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuuScbr View Post
Cool man, so smooth sailing the moment you got them huh? I was thinking its just giving insane feedback due to the bumps, I am going to take it on the smoothest road I know of, then call the guy,

thanks mang!!!!!
yeah they were fine. let us know what the turn out is, im curious about it.

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickarsmann View Post
check the date on the tires. They might be sitting on the shelfs for too long. First 2 Numbers are weeks of the year, and last 2 digits are year. so 2409 means 24th weeks in 2009. Buyers ALWAYS ALWAYS check before letting those dealers sell you old tires. if one tire fails, you die.

Hey bRo,

How new should they be the date on these tires is,

4609, so the 46th week of 2009 right, too old?

thanks im going to call them,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
yeah they were fine. let us know what the turn out is, im curious about it.

will do bro, Im thinking its me cause I was on that baldy for a good month, and now back to grip, I guess its more twitchy, like it bounces a little with every bump,

what tire pressure are you running stack? Maybe im a little low, im at 33/33

Im gonna call them and tell them im feeling some jumpiness,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
will do bro, Im thinking its me cause I was on that baldy for a good month, and now back to grip, I guess its more twitchy, like it bounces a little with every bump,

what tire pressure are you running stack? Maybe im a little low, im at 33/33

Im gonna call them and tell them im feeling some jumpiness,
I run 36 front and 42 rear for street riding. And i think tires made in 09 are a little old, but let someone else here clarify that since i have never bought tires that old.

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

To the question u asked before about the cons/pros imo i dont like them, they take for ever to heat up there cheap tires thats why they put them on 90% of factory bike outta the factory. There great for the track cause there a harder compound i just dont like the. They dont have much of a lean angle on them and i just put alot of trust in them. As for the 2ct no reason to run those the pilot ct are just fine for riding street. Great lean angle,heat up really fast tread wear isnt that great but they'll last about a season or two all depends on how you ride.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I run 36 front and 42 rear for street riding. And i think tires made in 09 are a little old, but let someone else here clarify that since i have never bought tires that old.
Quote:
To the question u asked before about the cons/pros imo i dont like them, they take for ever to heat up there cheap tires thats why they put them on 90% of factory bike outta the factory. There great for the track cause there a harder compound i just dont like the. They dont have much of a lean angle on them and i just put alot of trust in them. As for the 2ct no reason to run those the pilot ct are just fine for riding street. Great lean angle,heat up really fast tread wear isnt that great but they'll last about a season or two all depends on how you ride.

so thats not good news stack, how old are the tires you get on your bike,

and Tim, NOW YOU TELL ME!!! hahaha, is 4609 to old, should I go back and let em know?

thanks for the help guys,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
so thats not good news stack, how old are the tires you get on your bike,

and Tim, NOW YOU TELL ME!!! hahaha, is 4609 to old, should I go back and let em know?

thanks for the help guys
Ha sorry man. Dont get me wrong u'll be fine to run them they'll last aleast 2-3 season. just make sure u scrub them in nice and just make sure there heated up if ur out pushing it on the street man. With the year of the tires never really knew about that lol
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickarsmann View Post

Sorry Tim, that was meant for Kick above,

or anyone, you think 46th 2009 tires is too old, thanks again for the help, Im running a bit low on the pressure so I will adjust that and see if it makes a difference, thanks again!!!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Sorry Tim, that was meant for Kick above,

or anyone, you think 46th 2009 tires is too old, thanks again for the help, Im running a bit low on the pressure so I will adjust that and see if it makes a difference, thanks again!!!
late 09 is only a bit over 12 months old, now although a shop would probably move them quicker than that normally giving people newer tyres as a result, it is still not that old though, especially when it hasn't been pressurised or left out in the sun and rain to deteriorate. IMO don't worry about the manufacture date in this case.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if what your feeling is the 'fur' on the tyre (those little bits sticking out everywhere from the moulding process) For me they make the tyre feel squirelly until they wear off, but after that they are solid.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
late 09 is only a bit over 12 months old, now although a shop would probably move them quicker than that normally giving people newer tyres as a result, it is still not that old though, especially when it hasn't been pressurised or left out in the sun and rain to deteriorate. IMO don't worry about the manufacture date in this case.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if what your feeling is the 'fur' on the tyre (those little bits sticking out everywhere from the moulding process) For me they make the tyre feel squirelly until they wear off, but after that they are solid.

What up NICO!!!!!,

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, it could be the strips, also a different feel from the bald ones I was running.

I called the guy so I will update when I find anything out,

thanks again!!!! I am leaning towards just being overly sensitive to the new tires,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What up NICO!!!!!,

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, it could be the strips, also a different feel from the bald ones I was running.

I called the guy so I will update when I find anything out,

thanks again!!!! I am leaning towards just being overly sensitive to the new tires,
Not much mate, just got back from a months holiday without a computer...

I generally pull all those little bits off the tyre these days cause I hate the feel of the bastards... give it a go and see what you think.

Mind you I never really noticed them as much on the 2CTs (40km ride home from the shop that fitted them) as I did on battalaxes... softer compound
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Not much mate, just got back from a months holiday without a computer...

I generally pull all those little bits off the tyre these days cause I hate the feel of the bastards... give it a go and see what you think.

Mind you I never really noticed them as much on the 2CTs (40km ride home from the shop that fitted them) as I did on battalaxes... softer compound

I think that time without a computer made you Yoda like, hahahaha, I think you're right, they feel hard, and it feels like Im running over every little bump,

since i got hair on my tires I can see why, hahaha, im going to give them until 100 miles, they should all be gone by then, then we will see,

thanks again all for your help,

good to hear your back NICO!!!!!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think that time without a computer made you Yoda like, hahahaha, I think you're right, they feel hard, and it feels like Im running over every little bump,

since i got hair on my tires I can see why, hahaha, im going to give them until 100 miles, they should all be gone by then, then we will see,

thanks again all for your help,

good to hear your back NICO!!!!!
No worries mate,

And I never left - just didn't have a computer for a while :)

And what the hell do you mean yoda like? Surely my gramma isn't that bad?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Ha sorry man. Dont get me wrong u'll be fine to run them they'll last aleast 2-3 season. just make sure u scrub them in nice and just make sure there heated up if ur out pushing it on the street man. With the year of the tires never really knew about that lol
Street tires are at 75% heat within 1 mile of riding. This dumb rule of having to break a tire in is retarded. I have never waited to break tires in, ever. I give them hell right off the get go, never had a problem. And "PUSHING it" on the street is something no one should be doing!

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Street tires are at 75% heat within 1 mile of riding. This dumb rule of having to break a tire in is retarded. I have never waited to break tires in, ever. I give them hell right off the get go, never had a problem. And "PUSHING it" on the street is something no one should be doing!
I wait till they are scrubbed in myself before giving it to them... but you don't really have to wait for them to heat up, only takes a few ks (5-10 for the grandmas out there).

EDIT:

By scrubbing in I mean removing the glaze not removing all of the mould release compound.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
No worries mate,

And I never left - just didn't have a computer for a while :)

And what the hell do you mean yoda like? Surely my gramma isn't that bad?

hahahhaha, YODA bro!!!! the ever wise,

gordostack!!!! hahahahaha, sorry man, came to mind as was funny as sh%$

I hear ya man, I aint pushing anything, just want to stop feeling like im cobble roading it, hahahahaha

thanks fellows!!!!!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Thanks mate!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

I think you're just not used to the feeling of new tires. 33/33 tire pressure is fine. Tires made at the end of 09 are fine. It's supposed to feel "jumpy." It's supposed to feel like you're walking a wild animal on a leash. That's the beauty of the sportbike, my friend.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Not true. Road temp, air temp, speed and type of riding affect warm up.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Not true. Road temp, air temp, speed and type of riding affect warm up.
But not that much :) Road tyres are reasonably forgiving as far as that sort of thing is concerned, although I don't agree with warm up time being one mile IMO you should be good after 5. The biggest variable affecting it is riding style, if you take off and brake hard then it will happen quicker...

This is of course noting that it is like the 250/600 discussion - everyone has a different opinion...
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
interesting...i've heard of people burning out to breakin tires, but this sounds totally different
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

UPDATE tire junkies

Well there was def a vibration in the front, and was travelling to the rear, making it feel spongy, haha,

so we reset the forks, and bam, smoothe as silk,

so just make sure they do that properly,

just made a trip to SF and back, and damn am I sore, it was fun as hell though,

advice, take breaks on long trips unless you want your leg yelling at you all night!!!!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page