Idle won't hold help! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Idle won't hold help!

So my idle went off been running the bike with bad oil for 8 mths..just changed the oil and had the spark plugs sand blasted now just need an air filter...I messed with the air needle too much and now my idle won't stay up unless I put a little gas do I have to re install the knob or adjust the throttle bodies? Bike is an 03 600rr with 18 k Thanks I need to get back to riding;(
LBCCBR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
bullshat830's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 726
Thanks: 24
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
what RPM's are you idling at? if it's not 1300 + or - 100 then you need to adjust your idle adjuster located on the left hand side connected to this black hose next to your clutch cover. do this after the bike has warmed up and try revving the engine a little bit after you make adjustments.



'06 600RR
check out my build thread!
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=181895


bullshat830 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I made adjustments when it went off and played with it too much till it didn't do anything..pretty much my bike needs a little throttle to turn the bike on and keep it on..
LBCCBR is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well mate, first things first - replace your plugs cause you just destroyed them by having them sandblasted.
Nico is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Shop said they were still goood, bike sounds good when it's on just can't hold up idle!
LBCCBR is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
unanswered600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 349
Thanks: 4
Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much did you pay for sandblasting? A wire brush and a gap tool works just fine if the plug is salvageable...
unanswered600 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by unanswered600 View Post
How much did you pay for sandblasting? A wire brush and a gap tool works just fine if the plug is salvageable...
You cant gap these plugs.

You're not supposed to sandblast / wire brush / anything else them, if you think they are done just throw them away.

Having said that I do use a small plastic bristle brush to clean them a little
Nico is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well plugs are good it's just that my air and fuel is way off anybody know how to set it back to normal?
LBCCBR is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Knee Dragger
 
VTSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 207
Images: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You turned the idle adjuster out too far and now it fell out. I did the same thing once... You just need to screw it back in, but it's a pain in the ass. It took me about an hour to get it threaded back in with all the fairings off and a mirror to find the hole. I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere.
VTSteve is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Knee Dragger
 
VTSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 207
Images: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VTSteve is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Okay but now when I put back in the screw I can't adjust nothing at all..do I take out the screw completely and install it in front if the tbs to keep it on now? I'm so lost..
LBCCBR is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pics in that thread aren't to helpful as they are attaching it to a different spot...

If you pull it all apart you should be able to see where it goes.

Here is a pic care of ceph:
Nico is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know where the stock air and fuel screw go..it doesn't adjust anymore and my bike can't even idle..What should I do? I'm in socal I'll pay someone to fix my bike
LBCCBR is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Knee Dragger
 
VTSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 207
Images: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is no air/fuel screw. The ECU/Fuel Injection manages the mixture, you can't screw it up. The idle adjuster holds the throttle butterflies open a little, that's all. If it's not in place the throttle closes almost completely up once the bike comes off of cold idle. I know it looks like it's just running really rich, but that's only because the throttle plate isn't really letting any air in at all at that point. You can verify this by holding the throttle open just a bit manually yourself, it should idle fine if you hold the throttle open just a hair.
VTSteve is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCCBR View Post
So my idle went off been running the bike with bad oil for 8 mths..just changed the oil and had the spark plugs sand blasted now just need an air filter...I messed with the air needle too much and now my idle won't stay up unless I put a little gas do I have to re install the knob or adjust the throttle bodies? Bike is an 03 600rr with 18 k Thanks I need to get back to riding;(
you NEVER do any thing thats going to scrtach, scour, or other wise damage the surface of a platinum or iridium plug (our bikes use iridium plugs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCCBR View Post
I made adjustments when it went off and played with it too much till it didn't do anything..pretty much my bike needs a little throttle to turn the bike on and keep it on..
Likely, as said, your adle ajust screw fell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshat830 View Post
what RPM's are you idling at? if it's not 1300 + or - 100 then you need to adjust your idle adjuster located on the left hand side connected to this black hose next to your clutch cover. do this after the bike has warmed up and try revving the engine a little bit after you make adjustments.
this is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well mate, first things first - replace your plugs cause you just destroyed them by having them sandblasted.
this is correct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCCBR View Post
Shop said they were still goood, bike sounds good when it's on just can't hold up idle!
Your shop is full of idiots and morons who you shouldnt be considering as your shop if they said your plugs were fine after being sand blasted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You cant gap these plugs.

You're not supposed to sandblast / wire brush / anything else them, if you think they are done just throw them away.

Having said that I do use a small plastic bristle brush to clean them a little
This is correct, but i wouldnt even sugest a brushing of any sort

use or replace imo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCCBR View Post
Well plugs are good it's just that my air and fuel is way off anybody know how to set it back to normal?
they are NOT good if you infact sandblasted them, who ever told you they were, are full of ****.


Do your self a favor, instead of just listening to what we say vs what they say, do your self some reassearch

its a horrible idea to do ANY THING thats going to phsycally affect the elctrode of a Fine Wire spark plug, such as whats in our bikes, google to your hearts content

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
There is no air/fuel screw. The ECU/Fuel Injection manages the mixture, you can't screw it up. The idle adjuster holds the throttle butterflies open a little, that's all. If it's not in place the throttle closes almost completely up once the bike comes off of cold idle. I know it looks like it's just running really rich, but that's only because the throttle plate isn't really letting any air in at all at that point. You can verify this by holding the throttle open just a bit manually yourself, it should idle fine if you hold the throttle open just a hair.

this is correct.


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
you NEVER do any thing thats going to scrtach, scour, or other wise damage the surface of a platinum or iridium plug (our bikes use iridium plugs)



Likely, as said, your adle ajust screw fell out.



this is correct.



this is correct.



Your shop is full of idiots and morons who you shouldnt be considering as your shop if they said your plugs were fine after being sand blasted.




This is correct, but i wouldnt even sugest a brushing of any sort

use or replace imo.




they are NOT good if you infact sandblasted them, who ever told you they were, are full of ****.


Do your self a favor, instead of just listening to what we say vs what they say, do your self some reassearch

its a horrible idea to do ANY THING thats going to phsycally affect the elctrode of a Fine Wire spark plug, such as whats in our bikes, google to your hearts content




this is correct.
Well said.
Nico is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
unanswered600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 349
Thanks: 4
Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You cant gap these plugs.

You're not supposed to sandblast / wire brush / anything else them, if you think they are done just throw them away.

Having said that I do use a small plastic bristle brush to clean them a little
Nico, I've been gapping plugs and wire brushing them since before sliced bread was cool. I gap all of my plugs and any bike that I work on. It's necessary MX. Wire brush is not harmful if you don't hit the iridium, I'll have to try a toothebrush to see if that's strong enough to clean them without damaging the tip, that would save some trouble. JMO

Reread and realized how it sounded... Just to clarify I don't mean using a gap tool that all the cool ford and chevy guys buy for 10cents at auto zone to put on their key chains and tell high school girls they're badass mechs, I mean gapping them with leaves.

Last edited by unanswered600; 02-04-2011 at 02:13 AM.
unanswered600 is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by unanswered600 View Post
Nico, I've been gapping plugs and wire brushing them since before sliced bread was cool. I gap all of my plugs and any bike that I work on. It's necessary MX. Wire brush is not harmful if you don't hit the iridium, I'll have to try a toothebrush to see if that's strong enough to clean them without damaging the tip, that would save some trouble. JMO

Reread and realized how it sounded... Just to clarify I don't mean using a gap tool that all the cool ford and chevy guys buy for 10cents at auto zone to put on their key chains and tell high school girls they're badass mechs, I mean gapping them with leaves.
I gap and throw almost every plug I come across in the wire wheel on my bench grinder as well - unless they are iridium / platinum plugs. Then I just get a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush and give them a light scrub. The toothbrush is soft enough that it has no chance of damaging anything and the IPA cleans up just about everything without the risk of doing damage to the part.

I use the same brush and IPA method on electronics as well FWIW.
Nico is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome