Yet Another "Bike Won't Start" Thread - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet Another "Bike Won't Start" Thread

I did use the Search function and found no one with similar problem. Plus I didn't know how to do a few of the remedies offered.
Here's the issue...my 07 CBR won't start. It's been sitting in the garage over the winter without a battery tender on it. I attempted to crank it...nada. I tried jumping it off with the truck...nada. I replaced the battery (because it was a cheap one that fixed this same problem last winter) and get a new problem while cranking. Now it makes a fast and loud clicking sound near the battery and I noticed that the fuel pump wasn't priming up so I figured the fuse or relay may have blown. FI fuse was ok but I replaced it anyway and replaced the fuel pump relay. I tried cranking and the pump primes now but there is still that loud fast clicking sound and no cranking.
I own a multi-meter but don't know how to use it. I guess if I knew how to use it I could test some voltage or something like I've read in the other posts but I'm clueless. I don't want to send it to a shop because I'm sure it's a quick fix.
Any ideas as to what the problem is??? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not enough voltage at the starter solenoid.

Make sure your battery is fully charged and that all of the connections are secure.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Not enough voltage at the starter solenoid.

Make sure your battery is fully charged and that all of the connections are secure.

Good start....but before this ensure your ground cable is securely screwed down. You'd be surprised at what a loose connection will do.

My Highside wreck

Phil 4:13

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for your help guys, sorry for not getting back on here but I've been sick past several days.

I was able to charge the battery and made sure all the connections were tight. I turned the key and everything did as designed, when I cranked it there was no longer the loud fast clicking sound but it tries to crank but nothing. At least it's rolling over like it wants to crank now.

I know on my CRF100, I can spray some starter fluid in the air filter when it doesn't want to kick-start and it'll fire right up. I'm wondering since it's been so long since the CBR has actually cranked that it may need something like that to get it going? I don't know what else to do with it...any ideas???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Your battery is dead mate, take it down to a shop and have them load test it to be sure but given all your cables are secure I'm %100 certain its toast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico For This Useful Post:
PenHex (02-17-2011)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks Nico, that's what it was. They sold me a dead battery. They charged it up and now it turns over better but still no start. I tried spraying some starter fluid in the front air intake and it actually sputtered a little but still nothing. I keep hearing horror stories of the effects of gasoline with Ethanol in it on vehicles and since the tank was full and has been sitting in the garage for a few months, I wonder if it's gummed some stuff up in the fuel system. It just sits and spins over not even attempting to fire. Any ideas or suggestions as to what I could try next???
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

replace the fuel....my track bike will go less than a month before the gas is crap. My "new" 05 sat for over 5 years and the injectors aren't gummed up?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

If you're worried about the gas having gone bad, siphon it out (save it for your lawn mower) and fill it up with fresh.

If your tailpipe smells strongly of gasoline, your engine is flooded. Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine for 10-20 seconds. This will allow fresh air in and clear the flooded condition.

If your battery is not up to the task of cranking strongly, jump it from a car (car engine OFF).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofiep007 View Post
replace the fuel....my track bike will go less than a month before the gas is crap. My "new" 05 sat for over 5 years and the injectors aren't gummed up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by checksix View Post
If you're worried about the gas having gone bad, siphon it out (save it for your lawn mower) and fill it up with fresh.

If your tailpipe smells strongly of gasoline, your engine is flooded. Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine for 10-20 seconds. This will allow fresh air in and clear the flooded condition.

If your battery is not up to the task of cranking strongly, jump it from a car (car engine OFF).
+1

And ethanol fuels only really cause issues in things like lawn mowers where the jets are stupidly small, it can put a VERY thin glaze on the components. It occurs when the motor is hot but not running. However normal fuel still clogs the injectors a little after a while anyway...

Just to be on the safe side I don't put ethanol fuels in anything other than my cage...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
+1

And ethanol fuels only really cause issues in things like lawn mowers where the jets are stupidly small, it can put a VERY thin glaze on the components. It occurs when the motor is hot but not running. However normal fuel still clogs the injectors a little after a while anyway...

Just to be on the safe side I don't put ethanol fuels in anything other than my cage...
+2
Your problem now is probably bad fuel and/or gummed up spark plugs (as a result of the bad fuel). Definitely invest in some Stabil or other fuel stabilizer and use it religiously if your bike will be sitting for more than a few weeks.

Just lay on the throttle and try to crank it, as mentioned. You'll burn up your battery if it doesn't start before long, so I usually do this hooked up to a car if it's really being stubborn.

Also, avoid burning up your electric starter by only trying to start it 10 sec at a time, with a little wait time between tries.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks Yal!

I'll try replacing fuel when I get home from work today. Hope that does the trick. I'll have to jump it again due to running battery down trying to crank it last few days.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Woooo-Hoooo! She cranked up....I had put some fuel stabilizer in last night and when I got home I jumped it off and she fired right up.

Thanks for yals help and all the great advice....I couldn't have done it without yal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page