Front Wheel brake constantly gripping slightly - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Wheel brake constantly gripping slightly

Hi
I had the front wheel up on a stand for the first time the other day and noticed it does not roll as freely as the back does. It appears the brake pads are gripping the discs slightly, by the sound it makes. Its not hard to move or anything, but i would imagine it should keep rolling freely for awhile...
I just got a new front tyre and so perhaps the kids at the mechanic shop put it on badly?

Is it normal for the front brakes to grip a little bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyba274 View Post
Hi
I had the front wheel up on a stand for the first time the other day and noticed it does not roll as freely as the back does. It appears the brake pads are gripping the discs slightly, by the sound it makes. Its not hard to move or anything, but i would imagine it should keep rolling freely for awhile...
I just got a new front tyre and so perhaps the kids at the mechanic shop put it on badly?

Is it normal for the front brakes to grip a little bit?
its normal to hear a slight grinding / jingling type noise from the front brakes

a few rotations from a good spin is generally normal as i recall.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It's normal to hear your pads scraping the rotor a bit. You should be able to get a couple of rotations from a mild spin.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandurin View Post
You should be able to get a couple of rotations from a mild spin.

it will scrape a little with almost no drag on the wheel.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i ahve the same problem, but i think my rotor may be * slightly* tweaked, it isn't constant and the sound is loping if that makes sense and i get MAYBE 2 rotations out of a hard spin, any reccomendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok thanks for the help. I will see how much rotations i get out of a good spin tomorrow when i put it up on a stand.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol600 View Post
i ahve the same problem, but i think my rotor may be * slightly* tweaked, it isn't constant and the sound is loping if that makes sense and i get MAYBE 2 rotations out of a hard spin, any reccomendations?
If your worried, new rotor.

If you have a dial indicator then make sure it is within 0.3mm or 0.012" if it is then it is within tolerance.

Personally, if I can't feel it in the lever I'm not worried.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 AM
BOTM Winner 03/13

I'm having this problem as well. A little bit of rubbing is normal, but I struggle to get two rotations from a really hard push.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads anyway. Also going to do a proper clean and refurb on the calipers (I cleaned them at the end of last year but the pistons were only moving slightly more freely). Then, obviously, when I put the front wheel back on I'll grease the axle up properly and torque everything to spec. I haven't had the front wheel off myself yet so there's a possibility that the garage (who put my last front tyre on) has been a bit over exuberant! If doing all of this doesn't fix it then I think I'm doomed!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr3 View Post
I'm having this problem as well. A little bit of rubbing is normal, but I struggle to get two rotations from a really hard push.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads anyway. Also going to do a proper clean and refurb on the calipers (I cleaned them at the end of last year but the pistons were only moving slightly more freely). Then, obviously, when I put the front wheel back on I'll grease the axle up properly and torque everything to spec. I haven't had the front wheel off myself yet so there's a possibility that the garage (who put my last front tyre on) has been a bit over exuberant! If doing all of this doesn't fix it then I think I'm doomed!
Loosen off all of your bolts on the front wheel, then torque the axle bolt, followed by the right hand pinch bolts, bounce the front end a few times then torque the left pinch bolts. If there is any mis-alignment this will sort it out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Loosen off all of your bolts on the front wheel, then torque the axle bolt, followed by the right hand pinch bolts, bounce the front end a few times then torque the left pinch bolts. If there is any mis-alignment this will sort it out.
Well, this wasn't what I was expecting. Wheel bearings are both completely seized! Neither inner race will turn at all.

Doesn't appear to have caused any other damage. The wheel bearings are still intact. Probably a lucky escape. I wasn't even sure I was going to bother replacing the rotors/pads. If I had decided not to bother then I wouldn't have found this.

At least it will be a relatively cheap fix. Hopefully that will solve my problems for now.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr3 View Post
Well, this wasn't what I was expecting. Wheel bearings are both completely seized! Neither inner race will turn at all.

Doesn't appear to have caused any other damage. The wheel bearings are still intact. Probably a lucky escape. I wasn't even sure I was going to bother replacing the rotors/pads. If I had decided not to bother then I wouldn't have found this.

At least it will be a relatively cheap fix. Hopefully that will solve my problems for now.
Wow.... I think you would have noticed when they started howling at you... More lucky find than lucky escape I'd hope! :D
I saw trackfreak complaining about the quality of allballs wheel bearings the other day, so maybe don't go with them...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico For This Useful Post:
Sun-Zoom-Spark (02-13-2011)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Wow.... I think you would have noticed when they started howling at you... More lucky find than lucky escape I'd hope! :D
I saw trackfreak complaining about the quality of allballs wheel bearings the other day, so maybe don't go with them...

your right nico, it killed 2 trackdays for me both within the 2nd or 3rd session....I went back to oem and work fine...or you can go with high performance industrial bearings....

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to trackfreak For This Useful Post:
Sun-Zoom-Spark (02-13-2011)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
Yeah, strange. The last few times I was out on the bike, there weren't any strange noises at all and everything was going fine. I think they've maybe just seized up over the winter somehow. Going to double check all of the rear bearings as well tomorrow, just to make sure everything is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfreak View Post
your right nico, it killed 2 trackdays for me both within the 2nd or 3rd session....I went back to oem and work fine...or you can go with high performance industrial bearings....
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with OEM then.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with OEM then.[/QUOTE]

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Well, there's no longer a problem with the wheel bearings or front axle. Wheel turns perfectly (no brakes on though).

Decided to overhaul the calipers while I'm at it; just to be on the safe side and make sure everything is perfect for the coming year. Just waiting on the new seals.

OP, did you get your issues resolved, or was everything ok anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page