is my battery kaput :( - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is my battery kaput :(

hey guys, today i left my ignition on for about half an hour 40 mins. rushed in my house to take a phone call which lasted bout 20 mins afterwards realised my ignition was on so went out the back switched it off. anyway 2 hours later went to start my bike and the battery wouldnt turn the engine over, was getting nothing. ended up getting a jump start and went for a little ride to try and put some life back into it which seems to have worked. my question is will i wake up tomorrow morning for work and my bike isnt gonna start. i`v googled it with different answers bbeing offered, some say a 30 min ride should bring it back, others saying it needs to be put on charge. thought i`d throw this Q out on here to see what you guys have experienced with this issue.
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post
hey guys, today i left my ignition on for about half an hour 40 mins. rushed in my house to take a phone call which lasted bout 20 mins afterwards realised my ignition was on so went out the back switched it off. anyway 2 hours later went to start my bike and the battery wouldnt turn the engine over, was getting nothing. ended up getting a jump start and went for a little ride to try and put some life back into it which seems to have worked. my question is will i wake up tomorrow morning for work and my bike isnt gonna start. i`v googled it with different answers bbeing offered, some say a 30 min ride should bring it back, others saying it needs to be put on charge. thought i`d throw this Q out on here to see what you guys have experienced with this issue.

if in doubt, put it on a charger, or go for a long ass ride.


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tenjin For This Useful Post:
dickturpin 1976 (02-15-2011)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
if in doubt, put it on a charger, or go for a long ass ride.
i dont have a charger, damn! this is gonna be my next purchase i think, mods can come later! i did go for a little 30 min blast like. since then i`v been home and back out again and turned the engine off a couple of times and its started fine. just worried with it lying dormant for a good 8-9 hours its gonna be dead again because i killed it to nothing today. some comments i found on google were saying once a battery is run down to nearly nothing its damaged goods from then on. suppose i`l have to sweat it out till tomorrow. i`l post the results in the morning haha
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
BDT
Moto GP Racer
 
BDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 21
Thanked 80 Times in 71 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it's the first time your battery's died then it should be fine. I did that a couple years ago and my battery's still good.

A good battery tender is a must IMO. $60 for an Optimate or BatteryTender is nothing in the long run. You'll have it for years and years and save on replacing batteries that are over $100 a pop. Now I always plug my bike in after every ride.
BDT is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BDT For This Useful Post:
dickturpin 1976 (02-15-2011)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDT View Post
If it's the first time your battery's died then it should be fine. I did that a couple years ago and my battery's still good.

A good battery tender is a must IMO. $60 for an Optimate or BatteryTender is nothing in the long run. You'll have it for years and years and save on replacing batteries that are over $100 a pop. Now I always plug my bike in after every ride.
yeah this is the 1st time its died, well since i`v had it. i`m crossing my fingers it`l be fine in the morning.
yeah i`l be getting myself a charger for sure. i use my bike everyday so would i put it on charge every night? or is a charger for just when its parked up over a few days and not getting used?
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
BDT
Moto GP Racer
 
BDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 21
Thanked 80 Times in 71 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post
yeah this is the 1st time its died, well since i`v had it. i`m crossing my fingers it`l be fine in the morning.
yeah i`l be getting myself a charger for sure. i use my bike everyday so would i put it on charge every night? or is a charger for just when its parked up over a few days and not getting used?
It's more for longer periods of inactivity like a week or longer. But I still do it daily anyways.
BDT is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eglin AFB Florida
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had the same problem. i used a trickle chareger over night and it stayed charged for a couple days and died again. i ended up just buying a new battery off ebay for $27 delivered to avoid having to jump it every other day.
FlatBlack600 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatBlack600 For This Useful Post:
dickturpin 1976 (02-15-2011)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
SuuScbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,825
Thanks: 35
Thanked 228 Times in 200 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
dude hit walmart for a battery charger tender in one, 20 something bucks,


put it on all night, it seems your battery is okay, but learn to push start your bike,


drop it in 2nd, pull the clutch in, get a good running start, make sure the key is on, release the clutch BAM, practice that,

also check this,

take your bike out for a ride, get it up to temp, 220 200, something around there, then shut it off and see if its starts or lags, if it lags and wont start, let it cool to 146, then try it, to me it would be your battery is losing power, due to the starter being harder to spin when hot, (binding),

good luck!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D


Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!




MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
SuuScbr is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SuuScbr For This Useful Post:
dickturpin 1976 (02-15-2011)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDT View Post
It's more for longer periods of inactivity like a week or longer. But I still do it daily anyways.
ok, thought as much, but hearing it from someone with a bit more experience is always good haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBlack600 View Post
i had the same problem. i used a trickle chareger over night and it stayed charged for a couple days and died again. i ended up just buying a new battery off ebay for $27 delivered to avoid having to jump it every other day.
i hope i dont have to buy a new battery think i`l get on ebay and check some prices out on batterys just in case haha. to be honest i have faith in it coming good hahaha wishful thinking maybe



Quote:
Originally Posted by SuuScbr View Post
dude hit walmart for a battery charger tender in one, 20 something bucks,


put it on all night, it seems your battery is okay, but learn to push start your bike,


drop it in 2nd, pull the clutch in, get a good running start, make sure the key is on, release the clutch BAM, practice that,

also check this,

take your bike out for a ride, get it up to temp, 220 200, something around there, then shut it off and see if its starts or lags, if it lags and wont start, let it cool to 146, then try it, to me it would be your battery is losing power, due to the starter being harder to spin when hot, (binding),

good luck!
i was about to try push starting it on my own and i seen my nieghbour who happened to have jump leads, so ended up jumping it off his car. have you push started your bike on your own? wasnt sure if i was gonna be able to do it by myself coz its flat were i live, no hills to go down, wasnt sure if i could push it fast enough, plus it was pissing down with rain, had visions of my bike ending up on its side scratched to **** i was still goin out to try it like, lucky i did coz i seen him next door lol
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post


i was about to try push starting it on my own and i seen my nieghbour who happened to have jump leads, so ended up jumping it off his car. have you push started your bike on your own? wasnt sure if i was gonna be able to do it by myself coz its flat were i live, no hills to go down, wasnt sure if i could push it fast enough, plus it was pissing down with rain, had visions of my bike ending up on its side scratched to **** i was still goin out to try it like, lucky i did coz i seen him next door lol


i push start my bike no on a regular basis if it doesnt get a chance to cool as my starter is going south :/


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
i push start my bike no on a regular basis if it doesnt get a chance to cool as my starter is going south :/
so i take it you dont need to be pushing it that fast then? i was thinking maybe by thetime you`v jumped on it, it would have slowed down to much. think i need to practice this sometime just in case.
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
 
sincalirider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Visalia, Ca
Posts: 23,598
Thanks: 1,002
Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post
so i take it you dont need to be pushing it that fast then? i was thinking maybe by thetime you`v jumped on it, it would have slowed down to much. think i need to practice this sometime just in case.
I don't know if I was lucky or not but I had to push start my bike once due to leaving the key on with the kill switch off. I put her in 2nd and I swear I pushed it 5 feet out of my drive way and dropped the clutch and she fired right up. Maybe it was luck, but I amazed my self at how simple it was.

sincalirider is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
BDT
Moto GP Racer
 
BDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 21
Thanked 80 Times in 71 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ya, it doesn't have to be too fast. I had to jump start mine a few months ago after stopping for some coffee because I had my heated vest, heated grips and high-beam on while behind a slow ass car keeping the revs low . I just duck walked it and it started right up in 1st gear. I tried 2nd and it skidded the tire.
BDT is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
I don't know if I was lucky or not but I had to push start my bike once due to leaving the key on with the kill switch off. I put her in 2nd and I swear I pushed it 5 feet out of my drive way and dropped the clutch and she fired right up. Maybe it was luck, but I amazed my self at how simple it was.
yep, 2nd gear, clutch in, sprint to speed in ~5 steps jump on, pop clutch and hang on to the bucking bronco as it comes to life.


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stuck in Morman Hell w/ my Ex
Posts: 5,711
Images: 122
Thanks: 16
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
Tenjin, youre not having issues with the battery are you? its for sure the starter? hit me on a PM. i think that i wanna take care of something?

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
BrowningBuck is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well guys, woke up this morning rolled my bike out and it fired up 1st time. looks like that little ride last night done the trick. still gonna go and get a charger tho for backup next time am in a clumsy mood and kill my battery. cheers for the responces tho guys i was able to get a FAIRLY decent sleep after reading your comments haha
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBuck View Post
Tenjin, youre not having issues with the battery are you? its for sure the starter? hit me on a PM. i think that i wanna take care of something?
i am almost positive its not the batteries fault, perhaps mine for being a cheap ass and only getting a 4 cell, and not rebuilding my starter ;)

but pm sent explaining my problems just the same ;)


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
SuuScbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,825
Thanks: 35
Thanked 228 Times in 200 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post
ok, thought as much, but hearing it from someone with a bit more experience is always good haha.



i hope i dont have to buy a new battery think i`l get on ebay and check some prices out on batterys just in case haha. to be honest i have faith in it coming good hahaha wishful thinking maybe





i was about to try push starting it on my own and i seen my nieghbour who happened to have jump leads, so ended up jumping it off his car. have you push started your bike on your own? wasnt sure if i was gonna be able to do it by myself coz its flat were i live, no hills to go down, wasnt sure if i could push it fast enough, plus it was pissing down with rain, had visions of my bike ending up on its side scratched to **** i was still goin out to try it like, lucky i did coz i seen him next door lol



hey Bro,

yeah it doesnt take to much speed to get it jumped, I have pushed mine a ton of times, when my battery was going out, It would start fine in the morning, then once I got up to a certain temp, 183 it wouldnt start it would just reset the clock, so if I waited for it to cool it would start fine,

Ill post a vid of push starting your CBR,

if you get it to about 7mph, and jump on you should be good to go,

and dont worry about your bik dropping you keep your legs down, and just pop it really quick, ill post the vid here, tonight, cause I will do it when I leave work,

but I think it should be practiced in case your battery leaves you stranded,


ride safe

get a charger, GOOD LUCK!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D


Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!




MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
SuuScbr is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuuScbr View Post
hey Bro,

yeah it doesnt take to much speed to get it jumped, I have pushed mine a ton of times, when my battery was going out, It would start fine in the morning, then once I got up to a certain temp, 183 it wouldnt start it would just reset the clock, so if I waited for it to cool it would start fine,

Ill post a vid of push starting your CBR,

if you get it to about 7mph, and jump on you should be good to go,

and dont worry about your bik dropping you keep your legs down, and just pop it really quick, ill post the vid here, tonight, cause I will do it when I leave work,

but I think it should be practiced in case your battery leaves you stranded,


ride safe

get a charger, GOOD LUCK!

why would your bike not start when it was warm?? you would of thought when the engine is running its putting a bit of charge into the battery???? strange lol

but yeah mate post a vid that would be cool man! and i`l def be practicing some push starts sometime.
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post
why would your bike not start when it was warm?? you would of thought when the engine is running its putting a bit of charge into the battery???? strange lol

but yeah mate post a vid that would be cool man! and i`l def be practicing some push starts sometime.
as your starter gets worn out, it takes more and more to push it round and round, so i understand, i also experience this.


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
as your starter gets worn out, it takes more and more to push it round and round, so i understand, i also experience this.

yeah but he said it starts fine cold but doesnt when warm. so its easier to turn the starter cold then.. ok.
he`l be ok if he comes to sell it anytime soon, dont people normally say can you have the bike cold when i get there so i know it starts ok lol
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickturpin 1976 View Post
yeah but he said it starts fine cold but doesnt when warm. so its easier to turn the starter cold then.. ok.
he`l be ok if he comes to sell it anytime soon, dont people normally say can you have the bike cold when i get there so i know it starts ok lol
right
as the starter gets hot, parts start to bind / short


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
dickturpin 1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 56
Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
right
as the starter gets hot, parts start to bind / short

right i got ya. tell ya what, there is no better place than a bike forum to learn bout your bike. cheers for that bro most of the stuff i`v learnt already about my bike has come straight from here, i`m hooked man!
dickturpin 1976 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome