rea turn signal bulb keeps burning and smoking - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rea turn signal bulb keeps burning and smoking

i have a 08 600rr and just put a two brothers carbon fiber exhaust and fin eli kit.everything went well except i wired turn signals wrong.greens-blacks, organge-black/white, blue-black/white. so the bulbs and plastic melted and broke a fuse.later found out that the black was hot,and not the ground.

so i replaced the fuse and just got a new bike master marker lights to replace the old turn signal.i wired it "right" this time or so i thought by doing the opposite hook up.i used this site to help with the oem harness.
http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files...WireColors.htm
i did each green-black/white, blue-black ,orange-black.when i turned the bike on the turn signals it would light up and started smoking a little after a minute and smelled like it was buring again like the first time.i tried switching the wire and same thing happened.afeter that i hooked up the stock turn singnal to make sure the wiring on the bike was good and it was,and i check the all fuses.brake lights,dash,head lights, front turn signals all work.only electric after market thing it has are flush mount turn signals for the front. i tried to find a thread about this for cant find one in any forums

i there something i need to replace? do i need a relay?resistor? idk what they do but i see people do it to their fen elim kit in this forum.i dont what to do anymore please help!

thanks alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblades101 View Post
i have a 08 600rr and just put a two brothers carbon fiber exhaust and fin eli kit.everything went well except i wired turn signals wrong.greens-blacks, organge-black/white, blue-black/white. so the bulbs and plastic melted and broke a fuse.later found out that the black was hot,and not the ground.

so i replaced the fuse and just got a new bike master marker lights to replace the old turn signal.i wired it "right" this time or so i thought by doing the opposite hook up.i used this site to help with the oem harness.
http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files...WireColors.htm
i did each green-black/white, blue-black ,orange-black.when i turned the bike on the turn signals it would light up and started smoking a little after a minute and smelled like it was buring again like the first time.i tried switching the wire and same thing happened.afeter that i hooked up the stock turn singnal to make sure the wiring on the bike was good and it was,and i check the all fuses.brake lights,dash,head lights, front turn signals all work.only electric after market thing it has are flush mount turn signals for the front. i tried to find a thread about this for cant find one in any forums

i there something i need to replace? do i need a relay?resistor? idk what they do but i see people do it to their fen elim kit in this forum.i dont what to do anymore please help!

thanks alex
Are they LED or incandescent lights?

If they are incandescent what wattage globes have you got in there?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

there incandescent.i cant find what wattage they are.is the globe the bulb?if the bulb starts to smoke does it mean it has too much current going in to it?

this is the product
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...n-Signals.aspx

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Just means they are getting too hot, and with a 21w globe sitting so close to a cheap piece of plastic its not really that surprising. Go get yourself some LED indicators and problem solved, you can have small ones without setting your bike alight.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

yeah i just put aluminum foil around the "heat sheild" and it stoped the smoking.but the light buld burned out again! i guess now i have to try the led. any recommendations?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblades101 View Post
yeah i just put aluminum foil around the "heat sheild" and it stoped the smoking.but the light buld burned out again! i guess now i have to try the led. any recommendations?
Globes have a certain temp range they are supposed to operate in, by placing a piece of foil around behind it you cooked the globe...

Just about any LED will do, simply due to the fact that they don't get hot, it doesn't really matter what the housing is made of or how small it is. I only have cheapies at $10 the pair and they work quite well. Only thing to watch out for is that they are bright enough to be seen during the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page