I have never removed the tank before, will I need to disconnect any fuel lines to remove the tank from the frame?
Thanks in advance
Its easy to do mate, step by step:
1. Remove the tank cover and fairings that you need to to get it free
2. Siphon as much fuel as you can from the tank
3. Undo the four bolts that hold the tank in (two at the front two at the back)
4. Rotate the tank toward the rear of the bike
5. Disconnect the wiring that goes to the tank (fuel pump and level sender)
6. Cover the air box and other stuff with a rag
7. Undo the banjo at the fuel tank, the rags will prevent any fuel from going everywhere, and drop the excess fuel from the line into a container
8. Remove the tank from the bike
Reassembly is the same but backwards, it is also recommended (but debatable as to if its necessary) to replace the crush washer on the fuel line banjo. If your fuel line is more than 4 years old you may also want to look at replacing that as well (highly unlikely it has been done before).
Lastly, make note of how the fuel line sits when you remove the tank cause it has to go back the same way.
All in all its a very simple job that anyone who can turn a spanner is able to do.