05 bike won't start resloved ** Corroded wire ** - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 bike won't start resloved ** Corroded wire **

OK first off its been a loooooooong time since I've logged in. Is moe still kicking around here? Anyway my bike sat outside all winter burried in snow and when I went to fire it up today, nothing.
The battery sat all day on the charger and had enough juice to turn over rather fast but had no signs of starting. I tried jump starting it and still no luck. I've noticed that the FI light doesn't come on. There is a very faint sound of the pump priming but nothing like it use to be.
I also tried the full throttle jump start, still nothing. I could smell alot of gas coming from the muffler so I'm confused to what it could be.
Should the FI light come on when I turn on the ignition?
Hope this makes any sense at all. Its been a long day.
Troy

Your grade was 46 (from 0 to 100), A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a pathetic example of incredible stupidity who shouldn't be let out of the house unsupervised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatajourney View Post
oops. I think I may be partially retarded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
I am still addicted after all those years

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I see you atleast changed your simpson's avatar. Now how about helping me out old man? :)

Your grade was 46 (from 0 to 100), A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a pathetic example of incredible stupidity who shouldn't be let out of the house unsupervised.
Quote:

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Back in the Day

Your FI light should come on once you turn the key on but should disappear as soon as you hit the starter unless you got a faulty code then it will start blinking

Simple suggestion hold the throttle wide open it will take a few trials to get the engine going so make sure the battery is fully charged before hand once the bike starts hold the throttle steady (no revs ) for a couple of minutes until you feel the bike is picking up idle on its own then let it purr away like a behaving kitten keep this thread posted with results and God all mighty willing will get your lovely kitten to behave & purr nicely again

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

The FI never comes on. I hear a VERY slight humming noise in the tank. There is a strong smell of gas coming from the muffler.
I have a pig tail hooked to the battery for a trickle charge. Never had a problem in the past. Could the battery just not enough juice in it?

Quote:
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
The FI never comes on. I hear a VERY slight humming noise in the tank. There is a strong smell of gas coming from the muffler.
I have a pig tail hooked to the battery for a trickle charge. Never had a problem in the past. Could the battery just not enough juice in it?
The FI light not coming on might be an indication of a weak battery , gas smell is normal Does your trickle charger have a light indication that turns from Red to green once the battery is fully charged reason i am asking cause if that light goes from Red to Green right away or within minutes of attempting to charge the battery then your battery has a dead cell and probably no good

Get the battery load tested any way any auto parts store such as pep boys Discount auto etc etc will test the battery for free from there you can either confirm or deny if the battery is the culprit or not my hunch tells me the battery is dead for sure

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

The light is staying red on the trickle charger. Its been charging for about 7 hours now. Even when I tried to jump the bike with those portable car starters the FI light never came on. I will see what happens in the morning. Never had a problem with the bike till this point. I'll keep you posted.

BTW its good talking to you again. Is Tuna still around? As you can see I still have the avatar he so affectionatly gave me.

Quote:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
The light is staying red on the trickle charger. Its been charging for about 7 hours now. Even when I tried to jump the bike with those portable car starters the FI light never came on. I will see what happens in the morning. Never had a problem with the bike till this point. I'll keep you posted.

BTW its good talking to you again. Is Tuna still around? As you can see I still have the avatar he so affectionatly gave me.
If by the Am the light does not switch to green then the battery has a bad cell and is dead for sure its awesome talking to you as well Tuna has not been around in a while pm him u never know he might respond keep me posted with the battery even if it does go to green i would suggest for you to get it load tested any way

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well mate, first thing I would be doing is getting the bike inside and all the fairings off to expose as much of the wiring as possible... then just give it a bit of time for all of the water to evaporate out of the harness.

After that, extreme cold will kill a battery... I would do as Moe says and get it load tested...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

ok battery charged all night and got the green light. Turn the key and kill switch on and no FI and I don't hear the fuel pump priming.

Quote:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
ok battery charged all night and got the green light. Turn the key and kill switch on and no FI and I don't hear the fuel pump priming.
How much snow did you get on it? Just a dusting or enough that you needed your mates backhoe to dig it out?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

backhoe. It was under a cover though. I changed the 20A fuse under the seat it looked toasty. Still no priming. Is there any other fuse that controls the FI? The bike turns over great just no priming noise.

Quote:
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Administrator

That much snow will have water getting in everywhere... I would honestly just take it inside and see how you go in a couple of days...

What year is your bike?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

05. I did wash it yesterday so I guess its possible something got wet. But its a motorcycle lol it should be able to get wet.

Quote:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
check all your fuses. if you found 1 toasted, likelyhood of others being bad, especially with the bike outside all winter could be the case.

you have a fuse box under the seat and on the left side of the bike under the ram air intake tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
05. I did wash it yesterday so I guess its possible something got wet. But its a motorcycle lol it should be able to get wet.
Have a look at your ground connector, it's yellow and taped to the harness just below the seat. Possibly full of corrosion...
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I checked the fuses on the left side they are all good. Besides the 20 and 30 under the seat are there more fuses? Whatever the large 30a one does it pops when I hit the start button. The 20a isn't popping at all even after I changed it.
Wish I would have gotten the bike indoors before the first snow fell and never went away...

Quote:
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
the 30a fuse pops? then you got a short somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

ya when I hit the the start button and touch the 30a fuse i can feel it poppin. I thought that was a good thing lol. Could bad gas have just clogged the fuel pump?
When I turn the key on the red light on the tach stays red. Does the bike have to be running in order to get a error code?

Quote:
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
ya when I hit the the start button and touch the 30a fuse i can feel it poppin. I thought that was a good thing lol. Could bad gas have just clogged the fuel pump?
When I turn the key on the red light on the tach stays red. Does the bike have to be running in order to get a error code?
Engine doesn't have to run but your problem is likely to be with the starter solenoid...

And the red light is your oil light, it wont go off until you have the bike running and the oil pressure up.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

the engine turns over great there is just no hiss of the fuel pump. And I thought there were always 3 lights that came on at the bottom of the speedo. FI oil and temp. the FI light does not go on.

Quote:
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Problem solved. a wire had corroded off what I believe is a relay. I touched the wire where it was suppose to go and got the fuel pump to prime. Bike fired right up. Now I need to figure out how to replace the wire...

Quote:
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Problem solved. a wire had corroded off what I believe is a relay. I touched the wire where it was suppose to go and got the fuel pump to prime. Bike fired right up. Now I need to figure out how to replace the wire...
Brilliant good thing the battery is still good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page