Bouncy Idle, Dimming Lights after IT, Flush + Slip On W/VIDEO - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bouncy Idle, Dimming Lights after IT, Flush + Slip On W/VIDEO *RESOLVED* Low Idle

Hey guys wondering if anyone on here can shed some knowledge, first ill explain whats going on and i also have a video to attach.

Most of my new components arrived in the mail today so i began installing them. First came the IT, I took the stock connectors from the old parts and connected them to the New IT. Go it all connected (one strange thing is that there are only 1 wire each for left and right turn signals) then fired the bike up and tested everything, break, left, right, break with left and with right all worked perfect.

next i installed my new exhaust (two brothers not that that should matter, its just a slip on and this overall feels like an electrical problem)

without starting the bike (letting sealant cure for a while) i removed the front fairing and removed the stock indicator lights. Using the stock connectors again but there were 3 wires with stock, only 2 with my new flush mounts, took some fooling to figure out which was positive and negative i finally got it to a point with the key on run the lights would stay on but turn off when signaling left (left turns off) and signaling right (right turns off) rear IT remains functioning perfectly.

Now with the bike running the front lights stay lit, and turn off based on which direction of signal just like without the bike running IT dims down to the point its barely on and gets slightly brighter with every bump on the rough idle. When i rev the engine a little, the rear IT almost completely shuts off.

Now for the rough idle, could it be that the idle screw on the left hand side is just not set for this new exhaust? seems to be bouncing from 1100 - 1300 back and forth.

Now i know that my signals wouldn't work properly until i installed my led signal relay (its in the mail) but i was expecting a really fast blink not the front signals not working at all, bike idling crappy, and the rear IT not working at all when the bike is running lol.

Anyway i hope i included enough information here for some help.

Thanks so much guys.

Here is a Video of whats going on (sorry about the jerky camera holding and poor picture, i'm not much of a photographer lol and my iphone camera sucks but it gets the point across.

When i get home from work tomorrow i'm going to try removing the front indicators entirely and see if the reduced load(i didn't think led's pulled much of anything) on the system clears up the IT issues

Last edited by Drezdun; 05-06-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezdun View Post
Hey guys wondering if anyone on here can shed some knowledge, first ill explain whats going on and i also have a video to attach.

Most of my new components arrived in the mail today so i began installing them. First came the IT, I took the stock connectors from the old parts and connected them to the New IT. Go it all connected (one strange thing is that there are only 1 wire each for left and right turn signals) then fired the bike up and tested everything, break, left, right, break with left and with right all worked perfect.

next i installed my new exhaust (two brothers not that that should matter, its just a slip on and this overall feels like an electrical problem)

without starting the bike (letting sealant cure for a while) i removed the front fairing and removed the stock indicator lights. Using the stock connectors again but there were 3 wires with stock, only 2 with my new flush mounts, took some fooling to figure out which was positive and negative i finally got it to a point with the key on run the lights would stay on but turn off when signaling left (left turns off) and signaling right (right turns off) rear IT remains functioning perfectly.

Now with the bike running the front lights stay lit, and turn off based on which direction of signal just like without the bike running IT dims down to the point its barely on and gets slightly brighter with every bump on the rough idle. When i rev the engine a little, the rear IT almost completely shuts off.

Now for the rough idle, could it be that the idle screw on the left hand side is just not set for this new exhaust? seems to be bouncing from 1100 - 1300 back and forth.

Now i know that my signals wouldn't work properly until i installed my led signal relay (its in the mail) but i was expecting a really fast blink not the front signals not working at all, bike idling crappy, and the rear IT not working at all when the bike is running lol.

Anyway i hope i included enough information here for some help.

Thanks so much guys.

Here is a Video of whats going on (sorry about the jerky camera holding and poor picture, i'm not much of a photographer lol and my iphone camera sucks but it gets the point across.

When i get home from work tomorrow i'm going to try removing the front indicators entirely and see if the reduced load(i didn't think led's pulled much of anything) on the system clears up the IT issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHcYF_1U_TU

second one today with the same asnwer

your revs are low... looks like you have a 03 - 06? adjust your idle up, should be 1300, or 1500 rpm (i cant recall) but inbtween should be fine, use knob on left side of motor, attached to radiator hoses.

re the lights, as with every other light problem, if you didnt use a relay, or a resistor, and you went full LED, its not going to work, you never get that lucky, i have led front, incadecent rear and have a fast blink... and if you running low volts, say due to a low idle speed not allowing the generator to create sufficient power you may even be running into a low voltage situation.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

Last edited by tenjin; 05-04-2011 at 10:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenjin For This Useful Post:
Drezdun (05-04-2011)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Thanks, i assumed that's what the problem was i just wanted to be sure. Shesh now i gotta wait for the LED relay to come in the mail... hopefully it doesn't take too long i wanna ride :D

Thanks again man you put my mind at ease and i can sleep easy now lol ^_^

Last edited by Drezdun; 05-04-2011 at 11:25 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

All back together for anyone who cares, waiting for LED relay, Front + Rear sprockets, new chain. Brand new rubber waiting on those too :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PS - Eff USPS, so slow to Canada :(
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats not quite what your problem is.... first off, you have wired your indicators up incorrectly, they need to be done like this:

Pic is thanks to Tripage...

Once you have that sorted see how you go, you may also be having issues with your system voltage as Tenjin suggested however again, as Tenjin has suggested I would be adjusting the idle to 1300 +/- 100 rpm.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

In the picture it calls for the use of diodes, if I'm using a signal relay do I need those? Sorry electrical isn't my strong suit but the picture is great, Ty so much for posting it.

Excited to get off work to sort all this out.

Edit - never mind about the diodes I googled it lol

Last edited by Drezdun; 05-05-2011 at 08:54 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Yep, they are in addition to the relay...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Picked up a bunch of 1N5408 gentleman at munroes said they would do exactly the same thing. Just wanted to double check that before I solder them on :)

Thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Yep, they are in addition to the relay...
this is not correct nico, tripage sells one ... if replaced with a the correct relay the need for resistors goes away, its not a load dependant relay, or atleast not as sensitive as the stock one is... tripage sells em, eliminates the need for resistors.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I don't think these are resistors I think they act as like a flood gate when power comes in from a certain source it let's it through so it allows you to use all 3 wires of the stock signals rather than just the two. To what end I have no idea lol
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Thanks again for the diagram, wired in the diodes tonight and soldered everything together nice and securely, blinkers work (a little faster than stock but not bad)

However once the engine starts to get warm (around 35c) the rough idle makes its appearance and then the lights start dimming and what not like before. Going to adjust the idle tomorrow (cant let it run for too long waking up the neighbors tonight lol) I'll warm it up to around 80c then adjust the idle and see if that helps.

Also i have a strong feeling that once i get the LED relay in its going to solve alot of these strange problems lol.

Cheers,

Nick
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
this is not correct nico, tripage sells one ... if replaced with a the correct relay the need for resistors goes away, its not a load dependant relay, or atleast not as sensitive as the stock one is... tripage sells em, eliminates the need for resistors.
Not talking about resistors... talking about running light diodes :)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Issue Resolved thanks guys! Took the bike for a spin tonight adjusted the idle and everything is perfect. Thanks so much again

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page