Lights flashing with key off?? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lights flashing with key off??

I have 06 cbr 600.

Just finished a decent sized project. After all is said and done, when I got her back together today, I noticed something odd.

The LED running lights in the mirrors and the LED light on the tag were blinking. With the key off and kill switch completely unplugged. Whats really odd is I have the flush mounts where the old blinkers were, wired into the new mirrors. But the flush mounts were doing nothing. Nor any other lights.

So I unplugged the mirrors, as im doing so I notice my gauge clusters\ has this real slight pulse to it. Every 5-10 seconds or so the yellow rev light would blink and the odometer needle would cycle. Kinda like when you plug in the plug for the cluster. But the clock on the gauge is staying steady. Fiddled with the wires and made sure none were loose. Didnt seem to have an effect.

So I unplugged the gauge cluster. Now, the tail light and the tag light are both pulsing. 8 times bright, and then 5 times real dim. So dim you can only see it in the dark. Then 8 bright, 5 dim... etc.

Unplugged positive and negative cables from the battery for about an hour. Came back out, plugged em in.. same thing.

Anyone have any idea WTF this is?? It seemed like as I unplugged lights that were pulling the amperage of the pulse it freed up amps for the other lights to get in on the action. Is this a ECU code or some such?? Any other ideas?? Calling Honda tomorrow see if they know. Figured Id ask here too. Lot of heads and knowledge floating around here.

Here is the history....

Month or so ago, the bike was hotwired and stolen. Later recovered.
I tapped into where the wires were cut. Installed a ill switch in between. No other wires on this circuit other then any other stock deals. Tested that its working. No problems. Bike starts as it should. Kill switch works as it should. Ignition key works as it should.

From there I did the following wiring.

Ive installed a ground effects light kit. But its all independent. Has a remote brain. Its only plugged into the bike on the neg and pos terminals of the battery. Removed the fuse and unplugged from the battery ruling this out. No other things added to this circuit.

Installed a air horn. The stock horn wiring now goes to a relay. Pins 86 and 85. Pin 30 on the relay is on the pos terminal of the battery. Pin 87 is to the pos of the horn. The neg of the horn goes back to the neg of the battery. So basically the stock horn wiring simply now trips a relay. No other additional items on this circuit other then stock. Unplugged and removed fuse for this as well. Ruling this out.

Changed out the stock bug mirrors with flush mounts. Installed 08 CBR 1k mirrors. Both the constant to constant and neg to neg of the flush mounts and mirrors are wired together. Flash alone. I cut the plug off the old blinkers and wired the mirrors and flush mounts to that plug. So I did nothing frame side. Then its simply plug and play. No other changes done here to the stock wiring for the blinkers.

Did the audi light mod. I clipped the wires off the low beam head light clip and wired the audis into that. Then ran the low beam clip to the high beam clip.
So low beams are now audis. High beams are high/lows and audis.
I changed the center light to a LED light. Nothing done to the wiring.

There are two plugs that connect the lights and gauge to the bike. Blue and gray. The low beam light wire on the frame side of the gray plug was nicked/worn. So i cut out the damaged section and crimped it back together.

Does anyone have any thoughts at all?? Seems like everything is fine when the key is on. And when the bike is running. Fires up normal. Lights are normal.

Kinda at my wits end. Going to try and find a wiring diagram and start spark chasing. Anyone know where I can acquire one??

Again, thanks for any ideas or thoughts...

J.R.

ps... Ill get pics of the mods and rebuild up in the next few days. Been crazy these last few weeks.

"All those who live die. Not all those that die live.
And which would you rather do?
Die living because you took the risk?
Or live dying because you didnt take the chance? "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like something is shorting to the grey wire under your left hand ram air cover.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Called Honda. Of course they had no idea. He said he didnt think it was a ECU issue because there was no fault light on the gauge.

Checked the fuses one by one... of course the illum/tail light/gauge fuse killed it. As did the main fuse in the battery compartment.

Checked all wires I could see. No obvious shorts or breaks.

Ordering a service manual so I can get the wire diagrams. When it comes in ima start spark chasing.

Reconnected the battery. She fired right up. Rode for about an hour. Runs fine. No issues. Lights or otherwise while shes running. Got home. Switched her off.... and it took a good 2 minutes for it to start doing it... but sure enough... mirror running lights and tag light started a slow blink.

So until I get the diagrams Im going to just unplugged the neg terminal every night. That is unless anyone has any ideas I can look into.

If and when I figure it out. Ill post. Thanks for any additional input.

Cheers,
J.R.

"All those who live die. Not all those that die live.
And which would you rather do?
Die living because you took the risk?
Or live dying because you didnt take the chance? "

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropya View Post
Called Honda. Of course they had no idea. He said he didnt think it was a ECU issue because there was no fault light on the gauge.

Checked the fuses one by one... of course the illum/tail light/gauge fuse killed it. As did the main fuse in the battery compartment.

Checked all wires I could see. No obvious shorts or breaks.

Ordering a service manual so I can get the wire diagrams. When it comes in ima start spark chasing.

Reconnected the battery. She fired right up. Rode for about an hour. Runs fine. No issues. Lights or otherwise while shes running. Got home. Switched her off.... and it took a good 2 minutes for it to start doing it... but sure enough... mirror running lights and tag light started a slow blink.

So until I get the diagrams Im going to just unplugged the neg terminal every night. That is unless anyone has any ideas I can look into.

If and when I figure it out. Ill post. Thanks for any additional input.

Cheers,
J.R.
I have a very good idea what is causing your problem... carefully inspect the wiring harness, particularly the grey wire under the left hand ram air cover.

And it is also worth opening up the indicator switches and having a look in there for broken wires and water etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Sounds like something is shorting to the grey wire under your left hand ram air cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page